Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-05-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
I, Vettezuki

Total side note, but I think it's worth mentioning. No one gets bonus points on their death bed for working themselves to death. Think hard about what you want to spend your life doing. It goes fast and sometimes get's cut in the middle without much consideration. No one cares if you have a great house in a swanky neighborhood, or super slick car . . only go after these things because YOU want to and think about why YOU want to. Don't get me wrong, nice things make life nicer and no one is throwing money or things at me, just think about your time. I don't consider time I put into my own business as work really, it's a choice and a desire. But are you just grinding for no particular reason or worst of all, just because you think you have to?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #12

Let's see how long today is....jsut got in ..6am
Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
pain's fun, hit me again

Stick it to the man
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Mercedes, BMW, Audi, pretty much all the luxury models, sent us keys to do our repos. Spot the car, take the key, drive away the car.

Yeah well I didn't have the luxury of working for those particular finance companies, I had to settle for the more common NMAC, MACC, FMCC and the like but since they dealt in volume...

I still have my key equipment if anyone is looking to get into the game, since the keys were simple back then, we would cut them on site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Most of the time though we had to do some crawling into garages, locked parking structures etc.

Shhhhh.....

An aside, everyone always asks me (6'3" and 135lbs in the day) if I was scared working in south central and Compton and Inglewood and in the I.E. (anywhere lol) and truth be told although I was cautious I was never 'scared'. In fact I was always more comfortable in the poor part of town because deep down folks almost expected me at some point, just another part of being 'middle class'.

Now driving up to Calabasas or Bel Air or down into Coto (when you could get in) or even Laguna Beach or Irvine to pick up someones Jaguar or Range Rover used to make me nervous as all get out because now I'm dealing with folks who used to have money and now don't, which tends to make folks very unpredictable...

Like I said, glad I'm out of the game and yes, it is just a big old game.
Two bulls are standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, what's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". "No son" the older one says,"Lets walk down and fuck 'em all".
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #15
Super Moderator

I've put in 18 hours working on a car before in one day, 8am till 2 am.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Total side note, but I think it's worth mentioning. No one gets bonus points on their death bed for working themselves to death. Think hard about what you want to spend your life doing. It goes fast and sometimes get's cut in the middle without much consideration. No one cares if you have a great house in a swanky neighborhood, or super slick car . . only go after these things because YOU want to and think about why YOU want to. Don't get me wrong, nice things make life nicer and no one is throwing money or things at me, just think about your time. I don't consider time I put into my own business as work really, it's a choice and a desire. But are you just grinding for no particular reason or worst of all, just because you think you have to?
Agree with most of this, but disagree to some extent. Work may be a desire at first, but it will eventually and inevitably become just work.

Everyone I've talked to in their careers has told me that eventually, a job becomes just a job. So pick something that you can do well, that you feel good about, and that is lucrative or at least worth your time.

I knew this guy who was, and is a mechanic. In highschool he was obsessed with his 65 GTO, to the point that he got a GTO 6.3L tattoo on his arm. Now, after about 8 years, he HATES his job, it doesn't pay well enough, and he is training and looking for another career. He wouldn't even talk about tuning cars for fun, he was just over it. His GTO is now a gigantic paper weight that has been sitting for about... 8 years. I have no doubt it will be sold, without love.

My Dad is a loudspeaker engineer. Same story, in college, he was an audiophile. More hardcore than any of you. Now... he hates his job, doesn't make enough, is looking for other work, and listens to his TV speakers.

My mom had a career as a professional air brush artist. ...She is now a psychologist... and once again, hating her job.

I even know a certain forum God, who has recently opened up his own business in his early 30s... even after landing a successful career at a major company in his industry after getting his masters degree. Bored so soon? Although, I'm sure he'll have some explanation.

Reality is, I love cars, I have a desire to work on them. But if I went from pulling the heads on a classic Corvette, to doing brakes on a Camry, I'm guessing I'd lose that desire pretty quick.

Do I want to be a litigator? Sure. Do I have some desire to litigate? No. I want money. I feel that I can do law well, I won't get easily bored with it, and it should pay out. But honestly, I'd rather be jet skiing or wrenching on a tuner car.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Yeah well I didn't have the luxury of working for those particular finance companies, I had to settle for the more common NMAC, MACC, FMCC and the like but since they dealt in volume...

I still have my key equipment if anyone is looking to get into the game, since the keys were simple back then, we would cut them on site.

Shhhhh.....

An aside, everyone always asks me (6'3" and 135lbs in the day) if I was scared working in south central and Compton and Inglewood and in the I.E. (anywhere lol) and truth be told although I was cautious I was never 'scared'. In fact I was always more comfortable in the poor part of town because deep down folks almost expected me at some point, just another part of being 'middle class'.

Now driving up to Calabasas or Bel Air or down into Coto (when you could get in) or even Laguna Beach or Irvine to pick up someones Jaguar or Range Rover used to make me nervous as all get out because now I'm dealing with folks who used to have money and now don't, which tends to make folks very unpredictable...

Like I said, glad I'm out of the game and yes, it is just a big old game.
we would get some pretty good volume 20 cars a weekish. Only time i was nervous was in LA since we were picking up really expensive cars (sl63 black series etc) in the ghetto. Generally they knew we were coming and living in those places there was really only one way they got a car like that. Money was great, $100 for an auction drop, $150 for a turn in and $300 for a repo, 700 if it was really late. The problem was getting 4 call between 12 & 6am while still having a day job. Wont go back
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 10-05-2011, 02:25 PM   #18
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Agree with most of this, but disagree to some extent. Work may be a desire at first, but it will eventually and inevitably become just work.

Everyone I've talked to in their careers has told me that eventually, a job becomes just a job. So pick something that you can do well, that you feel good about, and that is lucrative or at least worth your time.

I knew this guy who was, and is a mechanic. In highschool he was obsessed with his 65 GTO, to the point that he got a GTO 6.3L tattoo on his arm. Now, after about 8 years, he HATES his job, it doesn't pay well enough, and he is training and looking for another career. He wouldn't even talk about tuning cars for fun, he was just over it. His GTO is now a gigantic paper weight that has been sitting for about... 8 years. I have no doubt it will be sold, without love.

My Dad is a loudspeaker engineer. Same story, in college, he was an audiophile. More hardcore than any of you. Now... he hates his job, doesn't make enough, is looking for other work, and listens to his TV speakers.

My mom had a career as a professional air brush artist. ...She is now a psychologist... and once again, hating her job.

I even know a certain forum God, who has recently opened up his own business in his early 30s... even after landing a successful career at a major company in his industry after getting his masters degree. Bored so soon? Although, I'm sure he'll have some explanation.

Reality is, I love cars, I have a desire to work on them. But if I went from pulling the heads on a classic Corvette, to doing brakes on a Camry, I'm guessing I'd lose that desire pretty quick.

Do I want to be a litigator? Sure. Do I have some desire to litigate? No. I want money. I feel that I can do law well, I won't get easily bored with it, and it should pay out. But honestly, I'd rather be jet skiing or wrenching on a tuner car.
exact reason i stopped teaching, i want to live the arts, not hate them

Stopping the world!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:57 PM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post

Then change your path. That's all.

[EDIT] The other side is that being a professional is doing the things you love on the days you don't feel like it. But if you never like it . . . WTF are you doing with your life?

Quote:
I still have my day gig and after ten years enjoy as much or more than ever. The other business is in the same broad field and my wife, who loves the same things runs it. I have little money, but am doing what interests me within what I can do. I am the 1%.

At the risk of sounding really pompous, I'm intelligent enough to have chosen any career I wanted and had an absolute open path to stepping into the family's engineering company where I would have made multiples (potentially many) of what I'm making now; big house in the OC Hills, Ferrari, whatever.

I have ZERO regret.

Quote:

See theory of subjective marginal utility in economics and all shall be revealed to you. What I'm warning against, is just working for just stuff because you think you need to. That's a road to a meaningless life filled with regret. There are no do overs.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #20

Two bulls are standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: "Hey pop, what's say we run down there and fuck one of them cows". "No son" the older one says,"Lets walk down and fuck 'em all".