Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-16-2010, 10:33 AM   #21
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
How about trying to just tap the pipe and seeing if the exhaust has enough velocity to draw a suction without a venturi. Also if you do this make sure to put the tap behind any restrictions like the turbo or the cat because if the pipe is under pressure then you could end up pumping gasses into the crank case.
after closer consideration and a little better of an understanding of this system I believe you are right sir. I may just try that inside of an actual venturi system.

Enkei, not worried about passing smog with this setup cause I wont even be able to pass with a catch can. That means anytime I have to smog my car I'll have to put it to stock anyway. Might as well run this setup. Besides, the catless setup is illegal anyway... actually even if I added a cat it'd STILL be illegal thanks to wonderful california. And it only costs 25 to fix. So EFF it.

The idea of this is to prevent ANY fumes or oil blowby to possibly make it into the turbo, thats why Im looking into it this way. All else fails and I opt for the typical setup it'll instead by valve cover to catch can to intake.

Damian,

You're correct and it's absolutely retarded. Any modification to the PCV system (including the wrong kind of hose) is illegal. A line to the exhaust to the untrained eye of a non car car enthusiast will easily mistake the exhaust routed line for a stock setup. If I ever make the mistake of letting someone pop my hood again. I'm also using a filter from Home Depot (it's a husky air compressor filter at the moment) but it's volume is too small and its gettin to be a pain in the ass.

Enkei, thats ridiculous because thats the way these cars are set up. Go check your moms. PCV on the passenger side of valve cover is routed directly to the vacuum nipple on the throttle body. thats the main reason for my catch can between those two points. oil condenses and settles in the lower coldside pipe which is the dumbest idea ever.

Kdracer73, ding ding ding!!! My PCV is routed to the intake (throttle body actually), and the "breather" is routed to the intake on the turbo side. blow by will still be expelled through either location.

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 04-16-2010, 11:11 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
Most cars have one vacuum side at the pcv valve, another "breather" line to let clean air in. Both banks are open to the same pressure through the block.
Makes sense.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #23

Blackboost, did you remove all the guts on that filter? If not, do it. Works much better that way.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 04-16-2010, 12:44 PM   #24
Boost Junkie

^^^gonna do that asap, haven't had time

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 04-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Enkei, thats ridiculous because thats the way these cars are set up. Go check your moms. PCV on the passenger side of valve cover is routed directly to the vacuum nipple on the throttle body. thats the main reason for my catch can between those two points. oil condenses and settles in the lower coldside pipe which is the dumbest idea ever.
Dude, that is fing retarded. But I have a solution for you, try this before you get crazy with welding ports on your exhaust for suction: cut the blue arrow hose, install a vacuum T; remove the red arrow hose, and install it into the T on the blue arrow hose; cap off the throttle body vacuum port with a rubber cap.

This is such an easy mod I'm going to be mad if you don't at least try it. Those hoses are so close it's begging for it.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #26
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Dude, that is fing retarded. But I have a solution for you, try this before you get crazy with welding ports on your exhaust for suction: cut the blue arrow hose, install a vacuum T; remove the red arrow hose, and install it into the T on the blue arrow hose; cap off the throttle body vacuum port with a rubber cap.

This is such an easy mod I'm going to be mad if you don't at least try it. Those hoses are so close it's begging for it.

this. lol for real.

and thats an interesting idea.. my hoses are not that close together tho, cold air intake kinda moves that one a bit. I'm trying to avoid cutting lines at first if possible lol. If I throw a catch can between those two I may definitely try it, but as long as i'm going to throw a catch can in I might as well leave it hooked up the way it is from the dealer just without the excess oil sitting in my cold piping working it's way up to the throttle body and IM under 16 PSI.

My current setup is:

PCV to CC/Filter thing to intake. throttle body is capped. Once I get my CC I'll be changing it up.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 04-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #27
Boost Junkie

ps. detail that engine bay for her.. lol looks dirty.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 04-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #28
Super Moderator

I wouldn't worry about the catch can, it will just decrease suction. And who cares if your TB sucks up a little oil, I don't think it will hurt anything.

P.S. Don't worry about cutting vacuum hoses. You can always slide them onto a pastic fitting from Autozone (next to the Ts) to reconnect. No one will give you crap about that.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #29

If you pull the guts out of that filter, it will work wonders. I drive 80 miles round trip from work and I dump mine every other week because it's full.

I've pulled off many intake manifolds that are coated with nasty oil crap all over the inside. I pulled my intake manifold off last week and I've had the catch can installed for 40k now and there was no oil anywhere inside.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Also, gut that PCV. I cut mine in half with a dremel wheel and the guts fell out. If you don't the intake might not make enough suction to open the valve at idle.