Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #21
Super Moderator

I was thinking of the guages and accessories mainly. I would think you could run a lot of the stock stuff with the 5.0.

I know the LS is a better engine. No argument. Although, I doubt it's over 500lbs. My motor fully dressed is like 450, and a SBF is the same thing basically.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraperio View Post
Its always the little things.
Nope.

Old 03-10-2010, 02:39 AM   #23
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post

P.S. Lifted Explorers are cooler.
Yep, that 96 we have has a lot power. Just love those 5.0 engines. It is a pretty good driver.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #24

Quote:
P.S. Lifted Explorers are cooler.
Granted, that may be. Any time you even throw a set of A/T's on a ranger you're automatically and irreversibly associated with douche bags wearing their hat sideways talking about how rad that new bolt in cosmetic bed cage looks with their obnoxiously large "F" sticker on their rear window ("F" is for Flamer?)

But lifted explorer, a well performing offroad desert truck does not make. Ranger's are popular for their cheapness, attainability, TIB suspension, and aforementioned wheel and travel clearance.

If you want to talk about building trail rigs and rock crawling, no question the explorer is the better truck.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #25
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Granted, that may be. Any time you even throw a set of A/T's on a ranger you're automatically and irreversibly associated with douche bags wearing their hat sideways talking about how rad that new bolt in cosmetic bed cage looks with their obnoxiously large "F" sticker on their rear window ("F" is for Flamer?)

But lifted explorer, a well performing offroad desert truck does not make. Ranger's are popular for their cheapness, attainability, TIB suspension, and aforementioned wheel and travel clearance.

If you want to talk about building trail rigs and rock crawling, no question the explorer is the better truck.
I beg to differ. You can make an Explorer into a well performing offroad truck you just have to move the rear axle back some to keep it from bucking. I will eventually do this with mine after I install a full width Dana 44 and coilovers in the front then I'm going to run 64 inch leaf packs in the back and move the rear axle back a little.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I beg to differ. You can make an Explorer into a well performing offroad truck you just have to move the rear axle back some to keep it from bucking. I will eventually do this with mine after I install a full width Dana 44 and coilovers in the front then I'm going to run 64 inch leaf packs in the back and move the rear axle back a little.
A D44 in the front means your going more for a trail rig which, as i said, the explorer is the better truck for.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #27
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
A D44 in the front means your going more for a trail rig which, as i said, the explorer is the better truck for.
No, I'm going for an all around performer. My Explorer right now has a D30 with leaf springs and it wheels great. It just doesn't handle whoops like I want it to. It only has 10 inches of travel in the front and 11.5 in the rear. I want to get 14-16 in front and 16-18 in out of the rear and still be able to take it wheeling.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
No, I'm going for an all around performer. My Explorer right now has a D30 with leaf springs and it wheels great. It just doesn't handle whoops like I want it to. It only has 10 inches of travel in the front and 11.5 in the rear. I want to get 14-16 in front and 16-18 in out of the rear and still be able to take it wheeling.
Looked into TTB's?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:55 AM   #29
Super Moderator

Ron, are you going to cut the wheels wells out and move them back too? Eek.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:37 AM   #30
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Looked into TTB's?
I don't want the TTB. I like a solid axle better. Yes I know it has more unsprung weight and won't handle as well as TTB but there were plenty of old school racers that used them successfully. Beside my brother already has the Dana 44.

Quote:
Ron, are you going to cut the wheels wells out and move them back too? Eek.
I don't think I'll have to as there is plenty of room behind the tire. I only run a 33 and right now it hit's the front of the wheel opening at full bump straight up and down. When I'm twisted up it clears everything.