Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #1
Graphics B*tch

Default Service Intervals:

My co-worker took her car to the local service station to get an oil change and see what else she might need. She had 46K on her car and they recommended a transmission fluid change (automatic) . I told her to go for it since she had a decent amount of miles on the car and she had never done it. I would rather change fluid more often than replace a tranny. She tells me the next day that her boyfriend thinks I am an idiot and that she did not need to change her transmission fluid until 100K. I just said he can go right ahead and do that. My questions is, that with car makes recommended oil changes at 10-15K now are some of the other intervals changing? Have oils gotten that good that the mileage intervals are going up of is this an automotive engineering feet? How often do you change your fluids?

This whole situation just got me thinking about some of these things.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 01-25-2010, 11:39 PM   #2

Haha your not a COMPLETE idiot but it wasn't a good idea to change the oil so soon. You may find this hard to believe but that actually creates more wear on the tranny. What car we talking about? I know Toyota's go for 100K and many other makes seem to be catching on. Tune up's are where mechanics make there money at. The more you come back the more they make, the better you feel especially after the placebo effect when you first drive it again.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:06 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I think the service interval for an Auto for my car is about 40K, 60K for the manual. But I wouldn't change it that soon.

Auto transmissions are funny. If you wait too long to change the fluid, it's actually better not to change it. Once enough crud builds up, changing the fluid just sets it loose and it will fu*k up your trans.

Moral of the story, don't give advice to girls with boyfriends. Aata.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 AM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
. . Moral of the story, don't give advice to girls with boyfriends. Aata.
Good call.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-26-2010, 07:47 AM   #5
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post

Moral of the story, don't give advice to girls with boyfriends. Aata.
I'd have to agree. In the end who is this girl going to side with--Adam or her boyfriend? I probably would have given the same advice Adam did. I have given advice to women before and their idiot boy friends would give them shit for it. I am kinda cute so I always thought it was a jealousy thing.

Remember this: "No good deed goes unpunished".
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN View Post
Haha your not a COMPLETE idiot but it wasn't a good idea to change the oil so soon. You may find this hard to believe but that actually creates more wear on the tranny. What car we talking about? I know Toyota's go for 100K and many other makes seem to be catching on. Tune up's are where mechanics make there money at. The more you come back the more they make, the better you feel especially after the placebo effect when you first drive it again.
That's funny because I only have 127,000 miles on my Explorer and just had to put in a new transmission. I had a trans flush done at about 90,000 and I think I should have done it sooner.

Maybe Phil will chime in later and tell us what Chevrolet's intervals are but I can tell you I will be changing the fluid in the Explorer every 50,000. My first change on the new trans will be after 1000.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #7

What are the intervals for your Explorer and is it older than 2000? A friend's 94' Explorer blew through two trannys until I put together a cooler for the system.

Interesting that the Explorer comes up because that same friend sent me this a couple months ago
http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...-and-new-cars/
Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Fast & Filthy

I know and it worked out good for me because I got new seats and doors for mine off of one that was at the wrecking yard. I couldn't believe how good of shape a lot of these trucks are in that they're just going to crush.

Mine is a '95 and I don't know what the interval is for the trans but I'm sticking with 50,000. My truck gets used hard offroad and I don't want to replace another trans.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I know and it worked out good for me because I got new seats and doors for mine off of one that was at the wrecking yard. I couldn't believe how good of shape a lot of these trucks are in that they're just going to crush.

Mine is a '95 and I don't know what the interval is for the trans but I'm sticking with 50,000. My truck gets used hard offroad and I don't want to replace another trans.
We're going to need an 8.8 LSD IRS out of one of those relatively soon. If you see a deal too good to pass up (couple hundred bucks ), pull the trigger and I'll reimburse you for RX-Snake.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
We're going to need an 8.8 LSD IRS out of one of those relatively soon. If you see a deal too good to pass up (couple hundred bucks ), pull the trigger and I'll reimburse you for RX-Snake.
The IRS didn't come out until '99 I think. All the ones that I found at the local yard had the solid axles in them.