Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 05-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default Got my 1st ticket ever today in Utah!

As many of you know, my wife and I are on vacation and we're going to Yellowstone. The first leg of our trip has us spending the night in Salt Lake City - about a 9 hour drive from home. So we leave this morning and we have a nice brisk drive through Nevada and Arizona.

We get to Utah however and it's a different story. Everyone drives SLOW here and nobody seemed to understand that on a 2 lane road you get over to the right to let faster cars by. So we're at about hour 5 in our trip and I finally get some open road. We're in the middle of NOWHERE and the speed limit is 75mph so I have the cruise control set somewhere in the 85mph range.

As we were driving I was monitoring the rearview mirror but I was looking for Crown Vics. Unfortunately the Highway Patrol in Utah drives Dodge Chargers. I realized that right as one was lighting me up

Anyway, the officer was nice overall. He wrote me up for 80mph but said he had actually clocked me at 89mph

No question I deserved the ticket. The only thing that bothers me at all is that I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE AND I COULD HAVE BEEN GOING 150mph WITHOUT BOTHERING ANYBODY! Heypal told me that I should just look at this as my contribution to the Obama wealth distribution plan though so I guess I'm okay with it

For the record though:

Cars with no tickets:
Mustang GT
Camaro SS
Cobra 1
Cobra 2

Cars with tickets:
Ford Edge
Old 05-10-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
As many of you know, my wife and I are on vacation and we're going to Yellowstone. The first leg of our trip has us spending the night in Salt Lake City - about a 9 hour drive from home. So we leave this morning and we have a nice brisk drive through Nevada and Arizona.

We get to Utah however and it's a different story. Everyone drives SLOW here and nobody seemed to understand that on a 2 lane road you get over to the right to let faster cars by. So we're at about hour 5 in our trip and I finally get some open road. We're in the middle of NOWHERE and the speed limit is 75mph so I have the cruise control set somewhere in the 85mph range.

As we were driving I was monitoring the rearview mirror but I was looking for Crown Vics. Unfortunately the Highway Patrol in Utah drives Dodge Chargers. I realized that right as one was lighting me up

Anyway, the officer was nice overall. He wrote me up for 80mph but said he had actually clocked me at 89mph

No question I deserved the ticket. The only thing that bothers me at all is that I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE AND I COULD HAVE BEEN GOING 150mph WITHOUT BOTHERING ANYBODY! Heypal told me that I should just look at this as my contribution to the Obama wealth distribution plan though so I guess I'm okay with it

For the record though:

Cars with no tickets:
Mustang GT
Camaro SS
Cobra 1
Cobra 2

Cars with tickets:
Ford Edge

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 05-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #3

Need to look at Utah's budget, sounds like traffic enforcement based on revenue production not public safety. The California plates probably played a roll too

SERIOUS WARNING- Wish I'd remembered to warn you before you left, DO NOT SPEED IN A NATIONAL PARK. A ticket from a park ranger is a federal bust, very expensive and the rangers are ruthless. Not sure if you remember your aunt getting popped in a Yosemite speed trap for doing less than 5 mph over (she wasn't), it cost her a bundle and ruined a great day. Know your speedo and set the cruise for at least 3 mph under to be safe.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteichen View Post
Need to look at Utah's budget, sounds like traffic enforcement based on revenue production not public safety. The California plates probably played a roll too

SERIOUS WARNING- Wish I'd remembered to warn you before you left, DO NOT SPEED IN A NATIONAL PARK. A ticket from a park ranger is a federal bust, very expensive and the rangers are ruthless. Not sure if you remember your aunt getting popped in a Yosemite speed trap for doing less than 5 mph over (she wasn't), it cost her a bundle and ruined a great day. Know your speedo and set the cruise for at least 3 mph under to be safe.
Thanks for the warning!! I'll be very careful in Yellowstone.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Graphics B*tch

Default Wtf

Computers are getting to know too much about our lives!!!

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 05-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteichen View Post

Absolutely. In todays world where states have record budget defecits, they are justifying their job by helping with income.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
So we're at about hour 5 in our trip and I finally get some open road. We're in the middle of NOWHERE and the speed limit is 75mph so I have the cruise control set somewhere in the 85mph range.

No question I deserved the ticket. WRONG.

The only thing that bothers me at all is that I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE AND I COULD HAVE BEEN GOING 150mph WITHOUT BOTHERING ANYBODY! CORRECT
This is a free country, but your freedoms cease when they begin to infringe upon the freedom of others. Thus, law. We have stop signs and yield signs to prevent t-boning (public safety) we have speed limits to protect against reckless driving, consequent accidents and injury.

BUT, if your average POS Neon with tires that are $50 a piece can cruise safely at 90mph... the laws are outdated. Roads like this should have speed limits posted closer to 80mph at least, more like 90.

Who was Sean hurting? What danger was his 'recklessness' causing? What car on the road today with modern tires can't cruise safely on a long straight two lane highway?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
This is a free country . . .
You're free to do as the state tells you.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 05-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You're free to do as the state tells you.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Neanderthal

So they figure you won't go back to Utah to fight the ticket.
2016 Nissan Altma