Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #21
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
1st one doesn't look bad at all. But at 110K miles, I'd rather not have to worry about the extra hardware. (AWD transaxle and the Turbo) I called the guy about the 2nd one, it has issues, he had it hopped up to 29psi and... it has issues. 3rd one is gay, very very gay.

I've told this kid many times, hop on the internet, check out some cars, I'll check them out. But he always wants the last thing that I suggested, whatever the latest jazz so to speak. If he doesn't care, I'm not going to stress. The Mustang gets my mechanical approval, if my parents decided to buy it, it's a done deal.
Cool deal. Tell your brother to get on the board now Also, he's more than welcome at the weekly mustang meet I go to
Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Also, while checking out the car, I found a power programmer stuffed in the back of the trunk. I hid it on the car so the dealer didn't try to jack it before delivery.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #23
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Also, while checking out the car, I found a power programmer stuffed in the back of the trunk. I hid it on the car so the dealer didn't try to jack it before delivery.
This could be the 2nd mod. Read up my friend
Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #24
Resident Avatar Gambler

Enkei, even better news. Really good aftermarket heads are coming out for the 2V GT pretty quick. The flow numbers are better than Cobra 4V heads. Tell your brother to start saving his pennies
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Why not just strap on a CARB approved blower? Are those motors pretty stout?
Old 12-02-2008, 10:32 PM   #26
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Even with a blower you'd probably be putting down somewhere in the low 300 RWHP range. Not worth it. I'd do the heads first. More reliable, and you can get to about that same number. Then down the line if he proves responsible slap a blower on it
Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #27
Resident Avatar Gambler

I think those heads would still be smog legal for the record. The limiting factor on 2v GT's has always been the heads. There have been other 2v aftermarket heads, but nothing like this before. This could really open up that whole market. It might make the 96-98 GT's (previously not so desirable) much more so
Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #28
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
I had a 96 with the following mods:
ATI PROCharger P1-SC (variable vane impeller, no not like porsche) 16 psi
8 rib belt
PI heads
D & D Performance short Block
JBA shorty headers
magna flow prochamber and cat bat

Fuel:
Ford racing 42 Lbm/hr fuel injectors
Walbro 255gal/hr fuel pump
aeromotive adjustable base and rise fuel pressure regulator

Tunning:
First supershit that came with the procharger
Then a diablo chip
Finally a EEC Tuner

Suspension:
ebach springs 2" drop
Steeda camber caster plates
Steeda adjustable upper and lower control arms
KYB adjustable shocks
frame rail connectors

I ditched the quad shocks and ran her on 17x11.5 cobra R's wit 315 17 40 BFG drag radials in the back

The stock motors are shit. Seriously. The rods are made of powered metal that is heated to become solid. Then the ends are cracked off. This saved money in machining and was suppose to provide a better joint. Unfortunately, the cracking process create microscopic faults that grow rapidly when the strain is increased. The black itself is stronger than the old 5.0 blocks, but the pistons are another epic failure. The cranks are shit, but in the 4v blocks you can find forged cranks that are a solid base and capable of 800+ hp.

My car made 330 rwhp completely stock with nothing but he blower and an off road H-pipe. Fully built it made 430 rwhp. Worst building expierence due to the hue amount of repair cost and wrenching and the low return on performance and drive time.

Also, If he plans to run it the transmission (both auto and manual) it weak.
Suspension is not great, but I was actually pretty happy with it after some minor mods. great return on invest in the suspension on these cars.

6K I would pull the trigger and buy it. When he get the itch to make it faster a good older brother brother would guide him to a 351 swap, or transplanting a cobra setup. If he does decide to build the 2V call me and I'll show him my old credit card bills from college and he'll definately change his mind.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:11 PM   #29
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
8 rib belt
PI heads
JBA shorty headers

Fuel:

Tunning:
Then a diablo chip
Finally a EEC Tuner

Suspension:
ebach springs 2" drop
KYB adjustable shocks
frame rail connectors

I ditched the quad shocks and ran her on 17x11.5 cobra R's wit 315 17 40 BFG drag radials in the back

The stock motors are shit. Seriously. The rods are made of powered metal that is heated to become solid. Then the ends are cracked off. This saved money in machining and was suppose to provide a better joint. Unfortunately, the cracking process create microscopic faults that grow rapidly when the strain is increased. The black itself is stronger than the old 5.0 blocks, but the pistons are another epic failure. The cranks are shit, but in the 4v blocks you can find forged cranks that are a solid base and capable of 800+ hp.

My car made 330 rwhp completely stock with nothing but he blower and an off road H-pipe. Fully built it made 430 rwhp. Worst building expierence due to the hue amount of repair cost and wrenching and the low return on performance and drive time.

Suspension is not great, but I was actually pretty happy with it after some minor mods. great return on invest in the suspension on these cars.

6K I would pull the trigger and buy it. When he get the itch to make it faster a good older brother brother would guide him to a 351 swap, or transplanting a cobra setup. If he does decide to build the 2V call me and I'll show him my old credit card bills from college and he'll definately change his mind.
With the new heads it appears the ROI may not be quite so terrible. Rumor is that with just the new heads you can get over 300 RWHP without a blower or anything. I think it'll be feasible to built a 330ish RWHP reliable 2V within the next couple years. Word is the new heads cost over 2k though
Old 12-03-2008, 12:43 AM   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
8 rib belt
PI heads
JBA shorty headers

Fuel:

Tunning:
Then a diablo chip
Finally a EEC Tuner

Suspension:
ebach springs 2" drop
KYB adjustable shocks
frame rail connectors

You're funny, for normal people 430hp is a lot of hp. For normal people, 330hp is a lot of hp! Haha. But I get your point. They're expensive to build for what you get out of them. And yeah, 16lbs on a built V8 should damn well make more than 430whp.