Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Thumbs up track day: possible event @ Buttonwillow, May 2011

Hey guys. A couple of vette guys I know want to gauge interest in another track day @ Buttonwillow, sometime in May 2011. These guys like to put an event on in Spring and/or Fall. They have to front the money so they have to know who's interested first before they make the financial commitment. I've posted about this type of event before, see my posts/vids from last October (October 2010). Send an email to trackdayfun@gmail.com and tell them Mike Palmer with the silver rx-7 sent you. Even if you can't make this one you should put your name on the list so you know when the next one is coming up.

I'm about 50% sure I will be on track in a "shakedown" mode, no hauling ass for me. My car is not ready to be beaten on 100%. I'm also thinking of driving my DD 'teg if I don't bring my FD. I had it on the track once in 2007 and while it's slow... still tons of fun. If not driving, I will still be there to ride along... it's actually pretty fun since there should be some stupid fast cars there. There may even be a forced induction Audi R8! Corvette ZR1, etc...

Highlights:

-15-20 people tops (entire day)
-should be full course (not just one section of track)
-orientation (clockwise or counter-clockwise) will be decided... we can change it too /w popular vote
-no such thing as a "run group"!!!
-can go out any time you please
-unlimited track time for the day (9am-5pm)
-race gas (up to 110 octane last time I was there), air (for tires), showers (in case you run in the dirt like I did last time), snack bar should be on too (they make some decent burgers, etc.)
-end of day will probably do top speed runs
-ride alongs are all good, just ask the driver and bring ur helmet!
-spectators are more than welcome, may have to pay $10 gate fee
-approx $300 (will be less if we can't get the entire track)
-will end up during a weekday, weekends are more expensive to rent the track

Track map:

I know a lot of you have seen these (vids from October 2010), but here's a vid one of the track organizers offered to take last October. C6 Zo6 following me during our warm up lap... he could have just drove around me at any time but he was cool enough to stay behind me to tape. Great bunch of guys

mp shoveling dirt

Top speed runs on the "drag strip" section of the track before riverside turn. Corvettes were in the 140-150+ mph speeds.

dragstrip passes low res 0001

End of the day tire abuse:

tire abuse1

2001 DC4 Acura Integra
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mdpalmer : 04-30-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

I'm interested but it will depend on what date they schedule it for.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #3

Yeah, I’d do this. However, I’ve never been on a track of any kind. Any advice for a complete novice is appreciated. Tech, safety equipment, etc. I would place value on anyone’s opinion.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redondo Jon View Post
Yeah, I’d do this. However, I’ve never been on a track of any kind. Any advice for a complete novice is appreciated. Tech, safety equipment, etc. I would place value on anyone’s opinion.
Have a spare sets of wheels with tires to drive home on, extra set of brake pads, and have extra fluids just in case, tools/jack. And AAA wouldn't hurt either.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #5

I so want to do a track day. but i dont think i'll have my car where i want it by then...maybe by fall
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 04-30-2011, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I'm interested but it will depend on what date they schedule it for.
Great! I forgot to mention that it will be during a weekday... renting the track on a weekend is more expensive

Quote:
Sweet, it's so much fun. Even if you don't want to drive everyone's more than welcome to hang out and go for ride alongs. If you're at all questioning it, maybe that is the way to go. Once you do it you'll be hooked. The other thing is that for your first couple times you're gonna be slow (even after many times I'm still slow), you shouldn't be pushing you or the car until you have more seat time, unless you're a natural pro...

Just have to realize that it is inherently risky for both you and your car. Read up on some FAQs posted on the SV site.

http://www.speedventures.com/faqs.aspx

Here's a tech checklist also from their site (we don't check your car when you show up to this event... we're assuming you checked it or had a mechanic go over it beforehand):

http://www.speedventures.com/events/tech.pdf

And stuff you may want to bring (this is an rx7 owner's list, and yes it fits in the car... anyone who knows these cars knows there is not a lot of volume in the cabin):

http://www.reganrotaryracing.com/packlist.htm

If I end up driving my rx7 I bring most of the stuff on that checklist (tool, floor jack, towels, fluids, jack stands, wood blocks, etc.) and a few other guys bring tools, etc. too, so generally you don't have to worry.. although that depends on who shows up/drives that day... another really important thing is to wear sunscreen and a hat, I've seen way too many guys get cooked when being in the sun all day

BTW.. do you live near Redondo by any chance... I live in Torrance, if that's the case we're practically neighbors

2001 DC4 Acura Integra

Old 04-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
Fast & Filthy

A weekday would be even better. I have plenty of vacation time and can take it off anytime. Will there be timing transponders available?
Old 04-30-2011, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
A weekday would be even better. I have plenty of vacation time and can take it off anytime. Will there be timing transponders available?
Sweet. They're trying to get a Thurs or Friday date. I don't think the timing devices will be available, the guys putting it on don't have that sort of equipment... just regular old joes that put up a couple grand to rent the track. They have been known to use a stopwatch and keep a running spreadsheet of times/cars/drivers over the years. They didn't break it out last time but I will ask them about it. Look forward to seeing you there, hope you can make it.

2001 DC4 Acura Integra

Old 04-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for all of the good information. I figured that I would need few items but wow this is a whole big thing isn’t it? I checked Buttonwillows site and maybe I’d be better off at this point taking a performance driving clinic before an actual track day. I’m kinda’ in the same boat as you blackax. There’s some stuff that I want to do to my car and of course, it’s expensive. Mike, yes I live in Redondo. If you ever feel like getting a coffee, (my treat) my wife & I usually go to the Starbucks over by South High. There’s only a million of them so we don’t have to go to that one exclusively. I’ll pm you my phone number. Thanks again everyone.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all of the good information. I figured that I would need few items but wow this is a whole big thing isn’t it? I checked Buttonwillows site and maybe I’d be better off at this point taking a performance driving clinic before an actual track day. I’m kinda’ in the same boat as you blackax. There’s some stuff that I want to do to my car and of course, it’s expensive. Mike, yes I live in Redondo. If you ever feel like getting a coffee, (my treat) my wife & I usually go to the Starbucks over by South High. There’s only a million of them so we don’t have to go to that one exclusively. I’ll pm you my phone number. Thanks again everyone.
So it the performance driving clinic in your own car or their car? I have always wanted to do a clinic but I want it to be were I am shown what my car can really do.