Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #51

I think that what we do is part of "Auto Sports" Yes it might not be 100% to the letter of the definition of what a sport may be. But people spend so much time and effort in what we do, We fix are cars, Make them go faster, Make them look better. This is the same as going down to the local gym and playing basketball.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #52
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackax View Post
I think that what we do is part of "Auto Sports" Yes it might not be 100% to the letter of the definition of what a sport may be. But people spend so much time and effort in what we do, We fix are cars, Make them go faster, Make them look better. This is the same as going down to the local gym and playing basketball.
It's the same as going down to the local gym and playing basketball if you go down to Adams or Fontana and run your car. Effort and cost are irrelevant to the definition.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I didn't say anything about professional. I even said street racing and drift are reasonably within motorsports.

At Adams you're being timed against yourself and others on a track. Fine to call that motorsports obviously. It's called Adams Motorsports Park for a sensible reason.

Where I disagree is mere possession of a "bad ass" car or whatever does not equal participation in motorsports.
How is it any different then someone spending time on making there car look/drive/handle better?
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #54
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Playing basketball is a sport with quantitative points of assessment. You analogy would be better if you said its like going to the gym and doing curls to make you arms look bigger. However, doing curls would actually make your arms stronger. Hellaflush is like injecting your arms with botox. They will look bigger, but they will be weak as Shit and there is a huge amount of risk for no gain. The car looks cool and I hope he makes tons of money with his automotive skills and lives the dream. It genius! You can get paid for coilovers chamber kits time and tires, then boom you can hit the same guy for a set of tires every two months. Ballet.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 01-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Playing basketball is a sport with quantitative points of assessment. You analogy would be better if you said its like going to the gym and doing curls to make you arms look bigger. However, doing curls would actually make your arms stronger. Hellaflush is like injecting your arms with botox. They will look bigger, but they will be weak as Shit and there is a huge amount of risk for no gain. The car looks cool and I hope he makes tons of money with his automotive skills and lives the dream. It genius! You can get paid for coilovers chamber kits time and tires, then boom you can hit the same guy for a set of tires every two months. Ballet.
Car shows do have "quantitative points of assessment" and not just the "Hellaflush" ones but the really really nice ones.

It is instantly hard to put a car back to stock 50 year on. It can take many years to make a car factory fresh. Same can be said for lowing a car, or changing the camber and what not.
Just because they don't race the car's doesn't mean they aren't part autosports.

Not putting time and money into that kind of stuff isn't my thing. But I do respect it as part of what we do.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #56
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
How is it any different then someone spending time on making there car look/drive/handle better?
Words mean things.

Sport

Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:07 PM   #57
I, Vettezuki

I think some are getting a little butthurt over the idea of refusing to call X a motorsport. It's completely value neutral, I don't give a good goddamn if someone only restores Model Ts or only races Miatas, both or neither. I just don't call restoring Model Ts autosport any more than I call racing a Miata restoration.

Don't confuse values and definitions!

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #58

To each their own, we are all car guys. BUT please dont call cars like hella flush and lowriders, autosports or motorsports. Thats only for cars built, made or moddified to improve the performance of the vehicle or to improve a performance characteristic. Maybe its going in a straight line, corners or rally off road. All these other "fashions" are the opposite, they are detrimental to peformance and even unsafe. I think thats why some gear heads like us cant except them. Why spend money to make your car slower or handle worse? Thats how we think, we dont care if it has show if it has no go.

As for the basketball analogy, I played and play a lot of ball. HS college and some semi pro stuff. You can have all the gear and look like a ball palyer but it doesnt make you one. I always see guys with $150 shoes and matching outfits that can make a layup without hurting themselves. Your skills define you as a player.Same with a car, it can look the part but does it deliver...all within their means of course.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #59
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
I didn't say anything about professional. I even said street racing and drift are reasonably within motorsports.

At Adams you're being timed against yourself and others on a track. Fine to call that motorsports obviously. It's called Adams Motorsports Park for a sensible reason.

Where I disagree is mere possession of a "bad ass" car or whatever does not equal participation in motorsports.
You're implying that Chris only makes his car to look good. That he never drives it, what he does is autosports, period. He'll dyno his car eventually, which will compete directly against other cars in his class. He'll race it, i'm sure of because I won't allow him to not do so.

Sport doesn't have to be competing, any exertion that requires improvement IMO.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #60

Quote:
I think some are getting a little butthurt over the idea of refusing to call X a motorsport. It's completely value neutral, I don't give a good goddamn if someone only restores Model Ts or only races Miatas, both or neither. I just don't call restoring Model Ts autosport any more than I call racing a Miata restoration.

Don't confuse values and definitions!
Yup. The car hobby and autosports are two different things. The car hobby cover a very vast area and you can say that autosports is under it but there are many car hobbies that have nothing to do with performance, like hella flush in this case. So its not a autosport.