Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-10-2010, 11:18 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to eric97srad Send a message via MSN to eric97srad Send a message via Yahoo to eric97srad Send a message via Skype™ to eric97srad

Let's just say I'm prepared to start a rant about the freeway problem in the BS Lounge right now...

So quick update and then pics when I have a chance...

Yesterday morning (aka noonish) I started disassembly of the engine... and got it down to how it sits right now - block w/crank, rods, pistons, cam still in and oil pan still on...

I had Ron look at the upper portions of the cylinder walls to see what he thought, and we came to the determination that the block is still in pretty good shape for 200,000 miles and I might be able to get away with the 327.

Today, I called Speedomotive only to find they are extremely arrogant and don't want to deal with the low budget diy-er... I was looking at about $2700 when all was said and done to walk out with my short block assembled as a 331. They told me they will not let a factory Ford block leave their shop without being bored because they have yet to find one which matches the original block blue prints. So 327 is out as of now...
So my alternative option was to call Rancho Engine Machine and get a quote for just the machining and do the rest of the work myself... They quoted me about $300 for a hot tank, bore and hone, cam bearing install, freeze plugs installed and pistons pressed onto the rods. Adding in the cost of the Coast High Performance kit with a girdle kit, flywheel and the current offer of free balancing - I'm looking at a total of about $1500 to have an assembled 331 block, plus the reward of doing it myself.
So that's the story - I'm pulling the trigger on that one. Everything should come together relatively quickly this fall and hopefully in time for the next Dyno pull that you mentioned, Sean
Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 AM   #32
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

That sounds awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product
Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #33
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
That sounds awesome. I can't wait to see the finished product
He's coming over this morning to pull the rest of the short block apart so that he can drop the block off at Rancho Engine & Machine.
Old 10-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #34
Super Moderator

Try- Larry's Performance / Track Pro -in Bellflower. He gives amazing deals on shortblocks, and will work with you.

Do your own compression calculations though. I'll bet he would get you out of there for less than $2K.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #35
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Try- Larry's Performance / Track Pro -in Bellflower. He gives amazing deals on shortblocks, and will work with you.

Do your own compression calculations though. I'll bet he would get you out of there for less than $2K.
Eric already dropped the block off at Rancho Engine and Machine to have it bored over. We are going to do all the assembly at my house so we'll check everything then.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #36
Super Moderator

Cool, I have piston ring pliers and an adjustable pushrod if you guys need either.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #37
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Cool, I have piston ring pliers and an adjustable pushrod if you guys need either.
I have a ring compressor so we're good there and I think we'll be be able to use the stock length push rods. He bought heads that use the stock pedestal mount rockers and the cam is about the same size that I used in the Cobra. If anything we'll only need to re-shim the rockers like I did on the Cobra but I'll let you know if we need to borrow your adjustable push rod. Thanks for the offer.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I have a ring compressor so we're good there and I think we'll be be able to use the stock length push rods. He bought heads that use the stock pedestal mount rockers and the cam is about the same size that I used in the Cobra. If anything we'll only need to re-shim the rockers like I did on the Cobra but I'll let you know if we need to borrow your adjustable push rod. Thanks for the offer.
You have the piston ring compressor but do you have piston ring pliers? I have snapped a few old piston rings trying to take them off without the pliers, I would hate to see it happen to a new set going on.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #39
Fast & Filthy

I've never used pliers before. I've always just installed them using my thumbs.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #40
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I've never used pliers before. I've always just installed them using my thumbs.
Maybe you've done it enough times where it doesn't matter. I have trouble doing that. These make it pretty easy.