Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #1

Default New to the Site/ Help

Hey everyone, Im new to the site and i own a 89 Ford Mustang 5.0 I recently installed a fresh 306 cid motor that i bought off a guy that had a manual tranny, and was running nitrous. Hence the camshaft he chose was huge! I have an automatic car and it has having problems with shutting off because the cam and lope is too heavy for my car. I dont have very much money, but i have an camshaft i wanna change it out with. I noticed motorgen is a tight knit community of forum followers and plenty people have been helped out on this site by members. I am reaching out to anyone who can help me change a camshaft over two days. Its my daily driver so would have to be done on a friday and saturday. Anyone who is on SoCal hit me up PLEASE! It wont go unrewarded. If someone has a 5.0 mustang, i will give some eibach proline lowering springs, and some cash. If you dont want those, i have a front mount intercooler along with some other things and cash. Like i said anyone who has experience and is in socal i would really appreciate help as ive never changed one. Thanks in advanced everyone. I will post pictures of my car asap! Also dont know where to post this so please move if i posted in wrong place.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Welcome aboard. I'm sure a 5.0 or otherwise mechanically competent user will chime in shortly.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #3

Cool thanks alot man. I usually wouldnt go looking for help. But i have never changed a cam shaft, and the car is really hard to drive on the street because of the idle problems due to the cam shaft. Im gonna post some pics up in 5 mins.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89StangGuy View Post
Cool thanks alot man. I usually wouldnt go looking for help. But i have never changed a cam shaft, and the car is really hard to drive on the street because of the idle problems due to the cam shaft. Im gonna post some pics up in 5 mins.
It's not the kind of thing you want to do by yourself for the first time. (I wouldn't.) It doesn't seem like rocket science but there are definitely some important details you don't want to get wrong. My question would be is if you can change the CS in a 5.0 in the car or if the motor has to come out, or perhaps the radiator. But I just don't know.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #5

Yea, well i know all the steps to do it. But the only catch is it has to get done by working on it from friday to sunday. So i need someone who is experienced with that sort of thing and zeroing out timing and the cs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stang.jpg (131.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #6
Graphics B*tch

Nice loking car, welcome to the board. I am pretty sure just pulling the radiator is all that will need to be done, but then again I am no expert. I am sure Ron (94cobra69ss396) would know though and how knows he might even take that CS off your hands for his nephew's stang!

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 08-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #7

Thanks alot man. The other side of the car doesnt look so hot though, no body damage but theres some clearcoat damage on the other side so i took a picture of the good side ha. I know how to take it out, just never have and dont wanna mess anything up. Upper and lower intake, all the accessories come off, timing cover comes off, timing chain, take of valve covers, loosen rockers, pull up the distributor a little bit and it should slide out. But i dont know how to set all the timing, and make sure everything is set at 0. That's why i need help. If he would really want it, i would give him the camshaft and lowering springs if he helps me take it apart and put it back together in 2 days.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Fast & Filthy

Where are you located? Do you have power tools and an air compressor? Have you already picked up new gaskets? Do you already have another cam to install? If so, what cam or what are the specs on it? What size stall converter do you have? How about the rear gear ratio?

Another stupid question but do you know what cam is in the car now? What happens that makes you think that it's the cam causing the issue? You said the engine is fresh but that the guy had been running on nitrous. Did he just do a rebuild on it when you bought it?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Where are you located? Do you have power tools and an air compressor? Have you already picked up new gaskets? Do you already have another cam to install? If so, what cam or what are the specs on it? What size stall converter do you have? How about the rear gear ratio?

Another stupid question but do you know what cam is in the car now? What happens that makes you think that it's the cam causing the issue? You said the engine is fresh but that the guy had been running on nitrous. Did he just do a rebuild on it when you bought it?
Im located in Bellflower right next to lakewood hospital. I have new gaskets, i have a brand new e303 cam i want to install its completely streetable, dont remember the lift ratio but its the biggest street cam i could find with being able to drive it normally, stall converter is stock, and gears are stock. The cam thats in the car now, not sure the lift ratio, but the lope is humungous, and the power band doesnt start til 3000 every cam i did research on should make power earlier except those meant for nitrous or blowers, plus he told me it was a huge cam. And yes the car only has like 2000 miles on it. Im thinking its that because i have an aod tranny, and i know that it uses a tv cable but when you shift i know it uses up vacuum, and I talked to a couple mechanics, two of my uncles being them and they told me i need to change out the camshaft and it will run great. And as for power tools and air compressor i dont have. Ive only been working on cars for about 3 years and havent come around to getting a serious set of tools yet.

O yea i also found the lift ratio for the e303 cam. With stock rockers, its at a .498 but i think that that i have 1.7 rockers in there right now so maybe .535?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:34 AM   #10
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89StangGuy View Post
Im located in Bellflower right next to lakewood hospital. I have new gaskets, i have a brand new e303 cam i want to install its completely streetable, dont remember the lift ratio but its the biggest street cam i could find with being able to drive it normally, stall converter is stock, and gears are stock. The cam thats in the car now, not sure the lift ratio, but the lope is humungous, and the power band doesnt start til 3000 every cam i did research on should make power earlier except those meant for nitrous or blowers, plus he told me it was a huge cam. And yes the car only has like 2000 miles on it. Im thinking its that because i have an aod tranny, and i know that it uses a tv cable but when you shift i know it uses up vacuum, and I talked to a couple mechanics, two of my uncles being them and they told me i need to change out the camshaft and it will run great. And as for power tools and air compressor i dont have. Ive only been working on cars for about 3 years and havent come around to getting a serious set of tools yet.

O yea i also found the lift ratio for the e303 cam. With stock rockers, its at a .498 but i think that that i have 1.7 rockers in there right now so maybe .535?
Do you have AAA with the long tow option?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)