Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default How to make liquid wax for fiberglass molds.

I'm so proud of myself, I figured out how to make a substitute for PVA mold release. I called nearly 20 auto paint supply stores and no one had it, so I was forced to play chemist in my garage.

Soak old candles or any sort of wax (cut or chopped up into small pieces, wax beeds work the quickest) in a bottle filled with paint thinner (not too much). Let it dissolve for 24 hours, shake it up, brush it or pour it on your mold. After 5 mins the paint thinner will dry leaving the surface with a perfect coat of wax.

Last edited by enkeivette : 07-21-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:44 PM   #2
A Motorgen O.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'm so proud of myself, I figured out how to make PVA. I called nearly 20 auto paint supply stores and no one had it, so I was forced to play chemist in my garage.

Soak old candles or any sort of wax (cut or chopped up into small pieces, wax beeds work the quickest) in a bottle filled with paint thinner (not too much). Let it dissolve for 24 hours, shake it up, brush it or pour it on your mold. After 5 mins the paint thinner will dry leaving the surface with a perfect coat of wax.
I'm not taking any body/paint advice from the dude with seagull shit on his car...
Old 07-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCulture View Post
I'm not taking any body/paint advice from the dude with seagull shit on his car...
Haha, that's what it looked like after the chemical strip. Here's a more recent pic:

You can see the difference between the sanded panels and the panels that had just been chem stripped here:

After tonight I'm almost done with the power sander, the pass side door is all that's left to do. Then I will start the body work and hand sanding.
Old 07-19-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I'm so proud of myself, I figured out how to make PVA. I called nearly 20 auto paint supply stores and no one had it, so I was forced to play chemist in my garage.

I'm assuming you mean PVA = Poly Vinyl Acetate. If so, you're going to be a bit disappointed.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I'm assuming you mean PVA = Poly Vinyl Acetate. If so, you're going to be a bit disappointed.
I know it's not the same, but it will work the same. Wax paper is even a suitable mold release. What I've done with the paint thinner is make a fast drying liquid wax. It will surely keep the glass from sticking to the wooden mold. Do you not agree?
Old 07-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I know it's not the same, but it will work the same. Wax paper is even a suitable mold release. What I've done with the paint thinner is make a fast drying liquid wax. It will surely keep the glass from sticking to the wooden mold. Do you not agree?
Yeah, for that it should be ookay. As for mold releases, the silicone impregnated paper used in baking (food) might also work well.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I guess there are different types of PVA, I should have specified. And I'm not sure if the stuff I was looking into stands for poly vinyl acetate. There is something called PVA that is used in painting aswell, mixes in with the paint and does something magical.

Anyways, my mold will have edges and I don't see how I'd be able to use wax paper in the corners without it wrinkling and screwing up the surface.