Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #21

I just hooked the two wires from the MSD dizzy to the two pickup wires on the box. Everything else was the same. I haven't tried the tach output from the box, Ol' Red's tach is mechanical, but that's the only thing I don't know about with the Mallory box.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 PM   #22
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
I just hooked the two wires from the MSD dizzy to the two pickup wires on the box. Everything else was the same. I haven't tried the tach output from the box, Ol' Red's tach is mechanical, but that's the only thing I don't know about with the Mallory box.
The reason I wanted the diagram was to share it with other people. Since you had the dizzy and the box I thought you might want to share. But, that's OK.

2016 Nissan Altma
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #23

Default By Special Request

Here is a pair of pictures on hooking a Summit branded Mallory ignition box to an MSD distributor. Or, at least how I did it, and it worked for me.'

I mounted the box behind the left front inner fender- gets lots of air, and the leads were all long enough to reach where I needed them to go. The white and yellow wires I just did a coil and stow. Didn't cut them off just put some heat shrink over the ends, coiled them up and tied them off. MSD makes a harness that plugs into their distributor and will get the leads to where you may need them.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #24
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAT View Post
Here is a pair of pictures on hooking a Summit branded Mallory ignition box to an MSD distributor. Or, at least how I did it, and it worked for me.'

I mounted the box behind the left front inner fender- gets lots of air, and the leads were all long enough to reach where I needed them to go. The white and yellow wires I just did a coil and stow. Didn't cut them off just put some heat shrink over the ends, coiled them up and tied them off. MSD makes a harness that plugs into their distributor and will get the leads to where you may need them.

Thanks for that. Now, I'll look good because of all the work you have done.

Actually great work. This will help many people use a good box instead of the MSD 6xx crap.

Before you die hard MSD 6xx box fans tell me I'm wrong. I started using MSD in 78 and used them untill the early 90's. I have seen dozens of those crap boxes go bad. 6 of them went bad on me. Only one while sitting on the drive way. Save your self a lot of problems and use the Accel or Mallory multi spark boxes.

Does the LS7 idle any better?

Again great job on this.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #25

As long as I can keep the 1 and 3 plug wires off the header tubes it's fine. When those plug boots get cooked it gets a little snotty at idle. I had the Mallory box running on the 1st Bird run. That's where we found the lower bushing was dead. I put the MSD dizzy in after I got home.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 AM   #26
Heart Attack

I am running the Mallory ign box with my MSD dizzy and it wires up the same as the MSD 6a box that i use to have in the system. I am also using the Tach lead from the box,and as far as i can tell it's accurate,checked it against the digital read out on my timing light and the RPM's were the same.

Plug wires are Taylor my ign system literally fried the Accell wires in a very short time
Old 03-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #27
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I am running the Mallory ign box with my MSD dizzy and it wires up the same as the MSD 6a box that i use to have in the system. I am also using the Tach lead from the box,and as far as i can tell it's accurate,checked it against the digital read out on my timing light and the RPM's were the same.

Plug wires are Taylor my ign system literally fried the Accell wires in a very short time
As far as I have seen over the years, the MSD dizzys are really good. What you have is a very strong ign system.
2016 Nissan Altma