Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default WTB Long Travel Truck

Ranger, Dakota, Explorer, Tacoma. 5-7K, ready to buy in 2-3 weeks.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

I have know real knowledge on this one, I just like the way Tacomas look. Plus then you could say you have a Taco.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Fast & Filthy

Keep an eye on RDC http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi. There are always trucks listed on there. Let me know if you want me to go take a look at one if you find something you like.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link, very helpful. I found a sweet deal on an F150 with some body damage.
http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/t...second&id=1287

And another F150 with a questionable link job. Check out how close they are to the ground. And what's up with the front frame rails? Are they different sizes like that?
http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/t...second&id=9696
Old 11-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Thanks for the link, very helpful. I found a sweet deal on an F150 with some body damage.
http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/t...second&id=1287

And another F150 with a questionable link job. Check out how close they are to the ground. And what's up with the front frame rails? Are they different sizes like that?
http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/t...second&id=9696
First one looks okay but it's in TX. The second one is sketchy. He extended the stock lower control arm instead of making new ones. That's not all bad and as long as he reinforced them well then they'll last. Also, see how the tires are worn on the inside edge and the drivers side is much worse. He could have the geometry off. If you go look at it check the length on both the uppers and lowers. It could just be that it needs to be aligned but it could also mean that the upper or lower arms need to be redone.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Super Moderator

I'll fly somewhere and drive a vehicle back. The red one is rad, but it does look sketch I agree. The front grill is off a bit too, might have been hit. But what do you think about the rear link bars? Looks like it couldnt even drive over a curb.

The more I think about it, the more I think a nice newer interior and amenities is more important to me than a cage, etc. I'm really liking the idea of getting that 03. I might if I can talk him down a bit. I could just intall the new door that it comes with, and spray the glass fenders and it would be a sweet truck.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
Fast & Filthy

See if the guy with the '03 will send you more pictures of it. Also see what Deavers he has for it and who made the front kit.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #8

Personally I'd stay away from links on a DD truck. You'll be wearing out expensive heims, who knows how well it was setup and fabricated, and how good its road manners are.

The red one looks like they fabbed the lower links in such a way that they could mount larger shocks without having them high mounted above the bedsides. Who knows for what reason. You could fix it, buy/fab new lower links and new upper shock mounts higher up on the bed cage with a little modification. You might be able to move the lower link mounts higher up on the axle to gain some additional clearance. As it stands tho you'll be hitting those whoops, curbs, and anything else taller than a few inches tall. Front geometry is another big questionmark. It could have crazy bump steer, a shitty ackerman, who knows what kind of quality the engine cage is for the lower arms and the upper shock mount. Its really a risk you take when buying any used garage setup long travel tho.

Assuming there's minimal cab damage the gray one might be a decent find but like 94cobra said, there's not much there to go on.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #9
Fast & Filthy

Good heims won't wear out with daily driving. I'm running heims on my steering and the cheap heims I used to have wore out really fast. The good ones that I replaced them with have been on there for a year or so and don't show any signs of wear yet.

I would just stay away from the red truck and keep looking.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #10

If you are going to get a long traveled truck... there isn't much better than 1996 or prior F-150 ... they have Twin I-beams you can beat the ever loving shit out of them. The only thing is that they have funny travel geometry and if you don't build them up right you can snap a hub, spindle, or a multitude of other things. Limiter straps will be your best friend. In short... Get a 1996 or earlier F-150 if you want to have a long traveled truck that the suspension is beefy as hell on. Most of them are ugly as sin but who cares. The beams are made out of ductile Iron... they are indestructible.

By the way that red one if fubar to the extreme. I wouldn't drive that thing out of the driveway.

Oh and to the first post... Dakotas are a bitch to long travel just like s-10/sonomas. Very very short arms in the front, not good for lifted suspension geometry. Stay with an F-150, Ranger, or a Tacoma. Half ton chevys aren't bad either but their control arms aren't quite long enough. Tacomas are very spendy most of the time though.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.