Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #1

Default Can you polish glossy Carbon Fiber? Yes you can.

Hello,

I wanted to show an example of the kind of work we do. If anyone has any specific questions just let me know and thanks for looking.

So the answer to the question is yes you can polish gloss carbon fiber if you have the right products and procedures. The level we wanted to obtain with this procedure was about 90% defect free. All said it’s at about 98% defect free at this point. There was no sealant or wax applied in the after photos.

The following products/procedures were used-
PC
3.5 flat orange pad- Menzerna SIP
3.5 black ccs pad- Menzerna 85RD
Filtered pure water-used on both passes
80% rubbing alcohol- used between each pass
Poorboys Spray and Wipe- used between each pass
Klasse AIO- used after final alcohol and sw wipe after 85rd

Couple notes about the pics, it’s really difficult to get swirls to show up in digital pics off the carbon fiber. As such I had to get direct sun reflection shots to show that kind of swirling. The pics may be stepped down a stop or two to help show that but have not been altered in any other way.

Before pic- Doesn’t look bad. Moderate depth and really cant see swirls at this angle. This is the typical "my paint looks perfect" comment. It's really not.

Before pics-Now you can see those swirls around the shots of the sun reflection. They are more significant to the eye then the pics show.

After pics- This is after the SIP. The cf is at about 90% defect free here. Still some slight swirls/marks around the sun reflection area. I could have stopped, but I wanted some more depth out of it.

After pics-These are the after the 85rd. The CF is at about 98% defect free here. You can see significant depth and reflection has been gained to my eyes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Because when you get down to it the thrill of high performance driving is unmatched by anything that doesn't have rear-wheel drive, bags of torque and a nice transmission."- Bob Lutz
Old 03-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I didn't know you could do that with carbon fiber - very cool!