Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-24-2008, 10:27 AM   #21
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Did your Camaro have 265 70 17 tires stock? And no the diff ratio is not higher to compensate, it's a 3.55 (2004). They had higher ratios available for towing, but most people don't have those. 4L60E is a .696:1 right?

That would be 1445 rpm at 55mph. That rpm deserves a Lewis Black face.
What the hell are you talking about, 55mph at 1445rpm is perfectly fine for cruising around at. We're talking about cruising, not racing, you get that right? I cruise around in 6th at RPM's at the level all the time.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #22
Graphics B*tch

I agree that 55 is not magical number. I would also like to agree with Ben that this probably applies to the more eco/family sedan type of car and not our muscle machines. I would also like to say comparing your old Camaro Sean to Adam's dad's Avalahce is an apples to oranges comparison. The Avalanche is heavier and less aerodynamic by far. I do not disagree with your argument but I think that your "facts" backing your argument is flawed. There Sean I made a post without having to resort to the I can kick your a$$ argument!!

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 07-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #23
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I agree that 55 is not magical number. I would also like to agree with Ben that this probably applies to the more eco/family sedan type of car and not our muscle machines. I would also like to say comparing your old Camaro Sean to Adam's dad's Avalahce is an apples to oranges comparison. The Avalanche is heavier and less aerodynamic by far. I do not disagree with your argument but I think that your "facts" backing your argument is flawed. There Sean I made a post without having to resort to the I can kick your a$$ argument!!
How is it flawed? It has the same transmission, and even allowing for the difference in gearing and tires, it could still easily be in OD at 55mph. Given the poor aerodynamic efficiency of the Avalanche, if anything it would benefit it even MORE going 55mph rather than 75mph.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #24
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
What the hell are you talking about, 55mph at 1445rpm is perfectly fine for cruising around at. We're talking about cruising, not racing, you get that right? I cruise around in 6th at RPM's at the level all the time.
I'd be lugging bad at 1,500rpm rpm in 6th. Remember your Torque curve from the blower is totally different. I'm ok at 2,000 rpm. But the engine seems happiest at about 2,300 like it isn't working hard at all. Cams play into this a lot.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #25
Internet Tough Guy

The lugging is more harmonics than the engine is actually working hard.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
The lugging is more harmonics than the engine is actually working hard.
No. If you lug hard enough you'll actually tip into the boost, well I will. Same goes for my mom's SRT.

What the other Adam is trying to get across is that an Avalanche (being a heavier car with more wind resistance) will have more load on the engine at the same speed/ rpm. And therefore be more likely to downshift and/or make less vacuum.

BTW I checked with my Mercedes Tech friend, and yes a vacuum reading is used to determine mpg. Once again more vacuum, more efficient.

Also, noticed that my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L I6 Auto will downshift trying to maintain speed at 55mph on the 15 freeway going up a slight grade.

C6 Standard Equip:

3.42 Diff
T56 .5 OD (6th)
285 35 19 = 26.85"

1177rpm @ 55mph Do I even need to say anything? C'mon.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:14 AM   #27
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
No. If you lug hard enough you'll actually tip into the boost, well I will. Same goes for my mom's SRT.

What the other Adam is trying to get across is that an Avalanche (being a heavier car with more wind resistance) will have more load on the engine at the same speed/ rpm. And therefore be more likely to downshift and/or make less vacuum.

BTW I checked with my Mercedes Tech friend, and yes a vacuum reading is used to determine mpg. Once again more vacuum, more efficient.

Also, noticed that my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L I6 Auto will downshift trying to maintain speed at 55mph on the 15 freeway going up a slight grade.

C6 Standard Equip:

3.42 Diff
T56 .5 OD (6th)
285 35 19 = 26.85"

1177rpm @ 55mph Do I even need to say anything? C'mon.
Ugg, this is getting so stupid. First of all, if you're just CRUISING on the freeway, 55mph at 1177 rpm would be JUST FINE. I was cruising in the Cobra yesterday in 6th at 55mph and my RPM was about 1400. Guess what, it was no big deal. If I needed to go up a grade or something, I would downshift to do it. Otherwise, the car could quite happily cruise at that speed and RPM for hours no problem - and I would get better mileage than if I was going 75mph. Again FOR MOST CARS, going 55mph will net them better mileage than 75 and the car would have no problem doing it in overdrive. Also most cars, especially automatics (which comprise a huge percentage of cars on the road) can easily be in overdrive comfortably cruising at 55 and again would get better mileage than 75.
Old 07-26-2008, 11:21 AM   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Ugg, this is getting so stupid. First of all, if you're just CRUISING on the freeway, 55mph at 1177 rpm would be JUST FINE.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #29
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Ugg, this is getting so stupid. First of all, if you're just CRUISING on the freeway, 55mph at 1177 rpm would be JUST FINE. I was cruising in the Cobra yesterday in 6th at 55mph and my RPM was about 1400. Guess what, it was no big deal. If I needed to go up a grade or something, I would downshift to do it. Otherwise, the car could quite happily cruise at that speed and RPM for hours no problem - and I would get better mileage than if I was going 75mph. Again FOR MOST CARS, going 55mph will net them better mileage than 75 and the car would have no problem doing it in overdrive. Also most cars, especially automatics (which comprise a huge percentage of cars on the road) can easily be in overdrive comfortably cruising at 55 and again would get better mileage than 75.
MOST cars 55mph = Better Mileage than 75 mph, no question.

My Vette would NOT be happy cruising at 1,200rpm in 6th PERIOD . It would be lugging . . . PERIOD, which ain't so good for wear and tear. You have a 500+HP Super Charged motor. Guess what? You're making tons of torque at that RPM and therefore have plenty of power. Post your dyno sheet.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-26-2008, 03:04 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You're making tons of torque at that RPM and therefore have plenty of power. Post your dyno sheet.

I doubt if his dyno sheet starts low enough to have a reading at 1100-1200 RPM.