Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Bench weight, at least 5 reps.
130 or less, Nancy. 3 17.65%
135 (1 plate on each side, olympic bar) 0 0%
140-165 0 0%
170-195 4 23.53%
200-225 (2 plates on each side = 225) 5 29.41%
230-255 1 5.88%
260-285 2 11.76%
290-305 1 5.88%
310-335 (315 = 6 plates total) 0 0%
340+ Argh!!!!!!!!! 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
Neanderthal

Four Vin pictures in a row. Someone is going to be happy.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #22
Super Moderator

I would guess that's from Pitch Black. Prob ones of Vin's best roles.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #23
Super Moderator

I put up 295 nine times about a month ago. Hells. Yeah.

And I went for a tenth, and suddenly realized I didn't have a spotter, and yes I dropped it on my chest and someone ran over. Hahahaha. I guess the stronger I get the dumber I get.

And I'm only 190lbs right now, pretty lean. When I was 220 my arms were a lot stronger but I couldn't bench that much. I've been doing mainly hypertrophy since June.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #24
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I put up 295 nine times about a month ago. Hells. Yeah.

And I went for a tenth, and suddenly realized I didn't have a spotter, and yes I dropped it on my chest and someone ran over. Hahahaha. I guess the stronger I get the dumber I get.

And I'm only 190lbs right now, pretty lean. When I was 220 my arms were a lot stronger but I couldn't bench that much. I've been doing mainly hypertrophy since June.
Hypertrophy?

I started to change my work out, such as it is a about a week ago. I wanna get buff just like you. That way the next time I get in a debate over Hobbesean fallacies I can just flex while my opponent is trying to make his points.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Hypertrophy?

I started to change my work out, such as it is a about a week ago. I wanna get buff just like you. That way the next time I get in a debate over Hobbesean fallacies I can just flex while my opponent is trying to make his points.
Haha, I'm not buff. Getting there mm by mm every year though. It's difficult if you're not on steroids. Every buff guy I have ever talked to has admit using steroids. I was even talking to this guy a few months ago in the gym, asking for some advice. And he gives me his routine (which I'm thinking in my head is woefully insufficient) and then he finishes off by saying "...and you gotta juice it." Nice, thanks buddy.

Bennn, you need to PUUUMP, so we can be SUPER BUFF CLLLONNNESSS, and we can make a SUPER SHASH HIT MOVIE! HE YAR.

Hypertrophy is what you do for size. Dating a doctor of physical therapy for two years has taught me A LOT about working out. I used to think, lift heavy weight low reps for size, maybe 12-15 sets, and lift lighter weight a bunch of times, same amount of sets, for definition. WRONG. We can chat and I will share some info with you.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:25 AM   #26
Super Moderator

Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #27
Super Moderator

Btw, I fully believe, with genetics as a limiting factor, without steroids you can never really get super huge.

I mean, 275lbs might be attainable for the 6'4" Norweigan working out next to you with hands as big as lobsters, but for most guys in the average height range, low 200s is all you'll be able to do naturally. Sad truth.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #28
Fast & Filthy

Ben, Adams secret to his increase in strength is from carrying all those law books for the past few years. You just need to go back to school.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:45 AM   #29
Super Moderator

And I meant 275/ low 200s personal weight, not bench weight.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #30

Well if you just want to get "bigger" with out getting that much stronger there is this Russian's" Push-Up Regime that really works

Quote:
Here's what the workout looks like. I'll post it - it's a bit long so be prepared. Interesting reading though. I've got a few questions so scroll down to the bottom, after reading it, and respond to them, if you get a moment.

Here we go:

Before the bench press was a twinkle in some early powerlifter's eye, the push up was the true measure of a person. A hundred separated the men from the boys; the women from the girls. Still does. How will you rate?

Pretty good if you follow my program.

All right, so you're not planning to join the marines- your loss, their gain- so why should you bother giving me a hundred? Because, if you train the right way, this push-up drill will fill out your pecs, delts & tri's faster than a jarhead recruit can clean a latrine with his toothbrush.

Where heavy resistance training builds the contractile proteins, high-volume, low intensity loading, such as push-ups, kick other wheels of the muscles machinery into growth. The volume of sacroplasm goes up. Mitochondria, the muscle cells' energy plants, get buff. Capillaries spread their tentacles throughout the muscle.

Even though capillaries make up but a fraction of a muscle's girth they serve a VIP function in bulking your myofibrils, or "real muscle", when you get back to heavy training. Here's how it works:

A 1995 British study by Schott et al., concluded that greater exposure of muscle cells to various metabolites, or "muscle engine exhaust fumes", leads to greater gains in strength & mass. It has been suggested by some experts that the more extensive a muscle's vascularity, the more the muscle will be soaked in intra-muscular metabolites & growth factors, & the more it will grow.

At least up to a point. According to Soviet research (Zalesskiy & Burkhanov, 1981), vascular network development generally can not keep up with muscle growth. So if you want to keep on growing beyond the easy first gains, you must find a way of developing your vascular network.

This is where super high reps come in. In 1986, Luthi et al., discovered that heavy training has no effect on capillarization. In 1984, Tesch et al., added that Olympic weightlifters & other athletes who favour low-rep training with long rest periods display capillary density that is even lower than that of untrained subjects! The same year, Sjoogard stated that enhanced capillarization is the result of endurance training. (Could explain why your legs gain mass so much easier than your arms?)

The evil Russian’s “hit the deck” program

WEEK 1

Mon: 100% test, relative intensity (RI) 30% Set frequency (SF) 60 min
Tues: RI 50% SF 60 min
Wed: RI 60% SF 45 min
Thurs: RI 25% SF 60 min
Fri: RI 45% SF 30 min
Sat: RI 40% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 20% SF 90 min

WEEK 2

Mon: 100% test RI 35% SF 45min
Tues: RI 55% SF 20 min
Wed: RI 30% SF 15 min
Thurs: RI 65% SF 60min
Fri: RI 35% SF 45 min
Sat: RI 45% SF 60 min
Sun: RI 25% SF120 min

WEEK 3

Mon: 100% test

The program outlined in the chart above is self-explanatory. Just drop & give me a specified percentage of your last personal best at given time intervals throughout the day. For instance, if you managed 50 push-ups on your test, do 25 on the day that calls for 50% relative intensity. On Mondays, test yourself for one set & do east sets for the rest of the day. You are going to love the constant pump!

Time the breaks between your sets, but you do not have a fit if you missed your date with the concrete here & there. Make it up if you can; do not sweat it if you cannot. Do your sets from the time you get up until an hour before you go to bed. Naturally, most comrades with a real job will have a couple of gaps in their day when they cannot drop & pump out push-ups. Do not worry about it; just gets back on schedule when the boss looks the other way.

Note that you are only supposed to go to the limit once a week. High rep sets to exhaustion are a lot more dangerous than they look. Tension in the stabilising muscles is inadequate to protect the joints & the connective tissues; the latter really get it in the shorts. So do not mess with the outline; stay well within your ability except on test days! Do not worry, you’ll make great gains without collapsing on the last rep, dripping in sweat & making macho faces.

The prescribes regimen requires that you say no to any other upper-body work with the exception of pull-ups or chin-ups. Either of these military favourites will hit the muscles missed by the push-ups & balance out your deltoids.

A word on push-ups for reasons other than getting buff or becoming one of the few good men. Push-ups are no good for strength unless you can merely manage a couple. The time-honoured push-up, however, is useful for developing shoulder endurance for sports such as boxing.

1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20