Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #1

Default I guess Ill introduce myself

Well i started posting on here last week, so I might as well introduce myself.

Im Dave (as implied by my screen name). I have a 2001 Camaro. It is considered a Granatelli Signature Series, one of only 3 Camaros built by Granatelli with the LS1 motor. I can get into explaining what that is if anyone cares, but ill leave it out for now as it might just bore you guys.

Car details:
-2001 camaro Z28
-Granatelli signature series package
-Ebony leather interior
-T-tops
-automatic transmission
-freeway gear package (2.73 gears and steel drive shaft)
-monsoon stereo
-mileage currently at 17k miles

my modifications are somewhat minimal:
-Granatelli subframe connectors (part of the original package)
-Granatelli shock tower brace (part of the original package)
-Granatelli lower control arms (part of the original package)
-Granatelli lowering Springs (part of the original package)
-Granatelli mass air flow sensor (part of the original package)
-Granatelli air lid (part of the original package)
-Granatelli panhard bar (part of the original package)
-Granatelli tranny tunnel brace (part of the original package)
-Magnaflow catback (part of the original package)
-Mac midlength headers
-K&N air filter
-Corvette C5 wheels (2000-2004)
-Corvette C6 exhaust tips
-Koni SA shocks
-Dyno tune by Haddad motorsports
-95-97 Camaro SS spoiler
-JL audio 12w6 in cusotm fiberglass box built by me
-Elemental Designs 7" subwoofers
-JL audio cleansweep processor

my current best 1/4 mile time:
13.18 @ 107.90 on Mickey Thompson ET streets

best 1/8 mile time:
8.50 @ 83 mph on Falken Azenis RT-615 (daily use tires)

Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to SexyLxy

Welcome Dave! I have a quick question for you, where did you find the graffiti wall. That is awesome and I would love to take some pics in front of a wall similar to that one.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Welcome aboard Dave Several of us will be seeing you on the 14th at Mickey D's.

For a good laugh, here's some pics of some of the guys here:

I am curious to know more of what constitutes a Granatelli signature series.

Also, when you get a chance, you can put your Vehicle(s) in your Garage, along with Timesips. They will then be searchable by anyone.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SexyLxy View Post
Welcome Dave! I have a quick question for you, where did you find the graffiti wall. That is awesome and I would love to take some pics in front of a wall similar to that one.
The Graffiti wall is off the 5 fwy by the Citadel. Sorry i cant help more with any info, i saw it off the freeway one day and had to backtrack one day in my Camaro. i probably couldnt find it again if i had to. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Welcome aboard Dave Several of us will be seeing you on the 14th at Mickey D's.

I am curious to know more of what constitutes a Granatelli signature series.
cool, cant wait to meet you guys.

Ok so heres what the GSS cars are.

In 1994, JR Granatelli, at the time, was the CEO of Paxton Superchargers and the CEO of Granatelli Motor Sports. He offered 3 packages as a Granatelli Signature series.
1) Full Suspension upgrade
2) Full suspension, plus some engine upgrades
3) Full suspension, some engine upgrades, and a paxton supercharger

This package was available through the dealership and with the stage 3, almost doubled the price of the car. In total, about 250 total GSS camaros were sold with the LT1. Few to none have popped up lately, but the prototype sold at barrett-Jackson a few months ago.

When the LS1 came out, he didnt offer any package, you could just order the individual parts. He had sold Paxton, and no supercharger was available for the LS1 at the time.

The following is now compiled from emails from JR Granatelli himself and executives at Matco tools.

In mid 2000 Matco tools contacted JR Granatelli about making 5 GSS Camaros for them as a special promotional offer. Matco was to award them to their top 5 franchisee owners at a presentation in Las Vegas.

Well, once they announced the winners, 2 of them didnt want a Camaro. 1 wanted a truck, and the other wanted a Matco toolbox full of tools. So the order was down to 3 cars.

The first one, mine (and i believe the only red one) was built by JR himself at his facility in oxnard, CA. The reason he did it was because the winner lived in Arizona, so it was easy to have the car shipped from GMs Build location in Canada directly to Granatelli Motor Sports, have him do his work, then use a car carrier to bring it to the new owner.

The other two cars were shipped from GM to their new owners, likely on the east coast. The parts were then shipped from Granatelli to the owners, and instructions were sent to have a local dealership install the parts.

The best way to distinguish my car from others are two signatures from JR Granatelli. The first, and most obvious is on the air lid, the second is on the inside door jam of the drivers door. I was stupid and it took me up until 2 weeks ago to cover that one with clear vinyl. every tie a washed the car, the signature came off a little, so now you can see its there still, but its not as nice as the one under the hood.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #5

Oh yea, and some more info...BTW that stuff on my last reply was not copied and pasted, i typed it all out just now by hand.

So when i bought my car, i almost didnt buy it because it has 'SS' badges on it. It was obviously not an SS, so i thought "the previous owner was a retard". This was before i knew anything about the car. The used car lot didnt even know it was modified. I saw the low miles, and it drove really nice, so i bought it and put on Retro Z28 badges in favor of the SS badges.

So about a year ago i went to Granatellis shop for a dyno day. I had already talked to him and found out something about what the car was. when i got there, i saw him, and i approached him. he was like, hey you must be Dave. I was shocked. I said, yea, how did you know? he said, dude, id recognize that car anywhere. I drove it around for about a week while i worked on it.

He said, one thing troubles me...where did my badges go? I said, badges, you mean the SS badges? he said no, havnt you seen a Signature series car? i have special badges. I said no...so he said hed look for some more. Well, a few months later, 4 of them arrived in the mail, free of charge. He told me where they go, and theyve been there ever since. Two go on the car, and two spares, just in case.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
FWD = FAIL

good to see you dave
Old 06-09-2008, 07:15 AM   #7

haha thanks. man you are on all of the forums arent you? lol
Old 06-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
FWD = FAIL

lol yeah i have no life. I even saw Sean's post on supraforums hahhaah