Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default RX-Snake: Axle and Drive Shaft

How much would a built 8.8" cost vs. a built 9"

How much torque/power can a built 8.8" hold vs. a 9"?

What is the approximate weight differential between the 8.8" 9"?

My practical side says go with a built 8.8". It will probably hold forever, be a bit smaller and lighter, and maybe be a bit cheaper.

My red neck side says 9 is bigger than 8.8 so do that.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
How much would a built 8.8" cost vs. a built 9"

How much torque/power can a built 8.8" hold vs. a 9"?

What is the approximate weight differential between the 8.8" 9"?

My practical side says go with a built 8.8". It will probably hold forever, be a bit smaller and lighter, and maybe be a bit cheaper.

My red neck side says 9 is bigger than 8.8 so do that.
The 8.8 can be just as strong as the 9" plus they are easier to get. Here is a great article that Chevy High Performance did comparring the 9" to a Chevy 12bolt (8.75") which is equal to the 8.8.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...son/index.html
Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
The 8.8 can be just as strong as the 9" plus they are easier to get. Here is a great article that Chevy High Performance did comparring the 9" to a Chevy 12bolt (8.75") which is equal to the 8.8.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...son/index.html

Cool. What's your recommended source for an 8.8?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
I thought we were going to run the Mazda rearend at first to see how it held up? If not, wait until I pick up the car and I'll measre the rear axle to see how wide it is. Then I can compare it to the Explorer and the Cobra to see if either would work without narrowing. If one of those is the right width we can just pull one from a wrecked car or truck. If they're both too wide I say we pull one from an Explorer and then narrow it.

What type of rear axle does the RX7 have under it now? Is it a solid axle or is it independent?
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
I thought we were going to run the Mazda rearend at first to see how it held up? If not, wait until I pick up the car and I'll measre the rear axle to see how wide it is. Then I can compare it to the Explorer and the Cobra to see if either would work without narrowing. If one of those is the right width we can just pull one from a wrecked car or truck. If they're both too wide I say we pull one from an Explorer and then narrow it.

What type of rear axle does the RX7 have under it now? Is it a solid axle or is it independent?
It's an IRS witha wee pumpkin and ity bity half shafts. I've heard the diffs from the Turbo II cars are pretty stout, but obviously the way a turbo rotary delivers power is completely different than a blown V8, but *maybe* that'd work. We'd at least have to beef up the half shafts in that scenario.

After looking at it more closely last night, with sticky tires, I'd expect total destruction in less than ten runs with the stock unit, if not the first one. I can post some pics later tonight.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-07-2009, 11:01 AM   #6
Fast & Filthy

If you want to measure it tonight and post it I'll measure the Explorer and Cobra. Measure from the wheel mounting surface. Otherwise I can do it when I have the car.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
If you want to measure it tonight and post it I'll measure the Explorer and Cobra. Measure from the wheel mounting surface. Otherwise I can do it when I have the car.
Will do. I'm also going to do a little more research on Turbo II diffs and aftermarket half shafts to see what they can hold. There certainly have been JDM RX-7s that put out way more power than we will be, but it's super high revving turbo power, not blown displacement.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
There is an all Ford junkyard in Placentia. Maybe we could get it out of a wrecked Explorer there?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
I, Vettezuki

I'm doing some research with the V8RX7 boys. From what I've found so far, the stock NA unit is "designed for failure behind a V8". However, it seems the Turbo unit is pretty stout, and has a 4.1 ratio as we'd want. More to come. It'd be kind cool to keep the IRS because then we could use it for straight line and single lap AutoX type stuff just for shits and giggles. We'll see. I'd just like to avoid too many complex re-engineering efforts more than anything.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
Power's off.

I would be willing to bet, with the first popped clutch at 3,500RPM, that stock unit will grenade.
For straight line work, a 9" with a spool.............

Street car needs compromising on racing.

Autocross needs compromising on street and straight line.

Straight line needs....................well, you get it.