Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #1

Default Small suv's

We're looking for a small suv that -
-my wife can commute in (decent mileage)
-drives and handles well (road trips with me at the wheel)
-has room and flexibility to replace my Tundra 4dr 4x4 on road
trips/moderate off-road adventures. Love my truck but a gas hog.
-dresses up well (leather, nav etc.

Love the v6 in the Rav, pretty much hate everything else about it. Saturn Vue sucked, don't know why the press is pumping it. CRV is boring but functional etc.

Looked like the CRV was the winner till we drove the Subaru Forester yesterday. Really like this car! Handles great, o.k. 4 banger response, capable off-road and decent interior. Layout is really great, some hard plastic and too much fake chrome but not bad.

Any and all input appreciated!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to SexyLxy

Go for the STI model then you can kick it with us at the track. :P
Old 07-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsteichen View Post
We're looking for a small suv that -
-my wife can commute in (decent mileage)
-drives and handles well (road trips with me at the wheel)
-has room and flexibility to replace my Tundra 4dr 4x4 on road
trips/moderate off-road adventures. Love my truck but a gas hog.
-dresses up well (leather, nav etc.

Love the v6 in the Rav, pretty much hate everything else about it. Saturn Vue sucked, don't know why the press is pumping it. CRV is boring but functional etc.

Looked like the CRV was the winner till we drove the Subaru Forester yesterday. Really like this car! Handles great, o.k. 4 banger response, capable off-road and decent interior. Layout is really great, some hard plastic and too much fake chrome but not bad.

Any and all input appreciated!

If I were in the market for what you describe, I'd probably be ending up with a the same conclusion (Forester). FWIW, Forester owners seem to have a high degree of satisfaction with their purchase. I don't hear "wish I didn't do that, or what POS" from them.

The STi would be cool, but mpg is obviuosly going to suffer (requires premium?), and I don't think it's "essential" for what you describe.

JMO.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-07-2008, 01:38 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Yeah, the Forrester would be my pick too. Consumer reports rates them high as far as reliability too. Get the turbo, gas will be back to $3.00 before you know it
Old 07-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #5

We're going with the Forester, sorry, no turbo (wife has a very heavy foot and commutes 50 mi/day). Launched the paperwork today, picking it up on Saturday in Irvine. The leather/nav system models are in REALLY short supply, the Irvine dealer was the only one that had trim/color that we wanted. Talked to 5 dealers, all confirmed that most of the next shipment coming in later this month is pre-sold. Looks like de-geeking the styling while retaining the Subaru heart and spirit is a winner.

I'm relieved that I won't be driving a CRV. Competent enough for commuting/minor hauling but they've just got no soul. Plus, I'll be able to find the Sub in a parking lot.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Resident Avatar Gambler

What color?
Old 07-09-2008, 05:21 AM   #7

The darker silver w/grey interior.

\
Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #8

Any reason you guys didnt try out an Edge? My mom just picked one up a month ago and ill tell you what, its a hell of a little crossover/suv...thing. TONS more go than i expected, loads of cool features (sync is fun as hell!), and wholly respectable gas milage. Really is a very nice car, one of the few truly modern cars Ford has goin right now.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:38 AM   #9

We are long-ime Toyota/Honda owners and, in all honesty, never concidered anything from the (former) big three, bias admitted. What sealed the deal was driving the Forester and coming to understand it's combination of features, comfort and off-road ability. One of our favorite things on vacation is to see a dirt road heading God knows where and making the turn just for the adventure. Sometimes it sucks, but often we discover someplace really cool. The Sub will allow us to gain 40-50% in fuel efifciency on road trips where we don't need the room and grunt/ground clearance of my Tundra while retaining these oportunities for serendipity.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Resident Avatar Gambler

Does it look like this?