Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default How to remove an NT350 from a 420A motor (Neon)

Look at how itty bitty it is. I wish it had cheeks so that I could pinch them. I brought this home in the Vette today, cuz that's how I roll. It's surprisingly heavy though, 60lbs maybe? But... this transaxle will cease to be cute if I drop it on my face while I'm under the car.

Plan to drop the transmission tomorrow, depending on how smoothly it goes, I might get the new one in also. Feel free to stop by Sean or whoever if you want to check it out.

I'll be sure to post pics on this thread.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Also, this one is from a later year, so it has the better overdrive ratio and the lower (numerical) final drive ratio. Should cut a bunch of rpm off on the freeway.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Default How to remove an NT350 from a 420A motor (Neon)

Step 1, remove stuff! (Remove the brake caliper and the wheel.) The caliper needs to slide out from the bottom on the drivers side, from the top on the pass side.

Step 2, remove more stuff! (Unbolt the McPherson strut from the steering knuckle) Remove the axle nut (center of the rotor/ 32mm). You may need to loosen the sway bar to push the lower control arm down in order to remove the end of the axle from the knuckle.

Step 3, pry the axle from the case, stick the pry bar between the casing and the metal sleeve on the axle, do not pull the axle at the end, that may damage the CV joint.

Step 4, remove the most intelligently designed battery box in the entire world. It is held in by 9 bolts and yes, it has a ram air cooling duct... for the battery. Too bad Dodge didn't use this sort of engineering to design their transmissions and engines.

Step 5, remove the two mounts, the starter, the stupid bobble (trans shock), and the motor to trans brace.

Step 6, remove the shifter cable mount and the clutch cable. There's a plastic cover on the casing that will pop off and allow you access to the clutch cable. (No need to pull the clutch fork back on this trans)

Step 7, unbolt the trans and slide it off! Out with the old.

Step 8, in with the not as old.

Note: If this took you longer than 4 hours, and if you needed any sort of instruction manual... you're not as cool as me. This procedure will likely be similar for 2nd gen Neons and SOHC motors, seeing as how they use the same trans. Post Feb 2000 you'll have to deal with a hyd clutch.

While I'm in here I'm going to see if I can get those coil overs to work, and also I'm going to cut up the battery box getting rid of the cooling ducts so that I can do some sort of ram air setup for this motor. Also I'm going to replace that stupid bobble with something solid.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Also, I'll probably fill the trans mounts with urethane. If anyone cares to know how to do this let me know, and I'll post pics.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

I'd be interested in seeing pics. I wish I could have come over, but work got in the way
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I'd be interested in seeing pics. I wish I could have come over, but work got in the way
You must have passed over the 3rd post.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #7
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
You must have passed over the 3rd post.
Que? I thought you were describing doing the job? Have you already done it?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Que? I thought you were describing doing the job? Have you already done it?
He's got lots of pics, but they're linked from a host that is probably blocked at your work, so you don't see them, only the explanations.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
He's got lots of pics, but they're linked from a host that is probably blocked at your work, so you don't see them, only the explanations.
LOL, exactly. Sorry Enkei.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Neon works again. And now it's FOR SALE.

Although I've gotta say, I'm diggin this new transmission. It was from a later year and it has the higher final drive and the bigger overdrive. Haven't taken it on the highway yet, but it was around 2500rpm at 70mph. I used to cruise at 4Krpm at 80mph. So yeah... big difference. Curious to see how much the gas mileage will go up. Probably not much in the city, but it should be a surprising difference on the highway.