Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default X-pipe painting.

So we didn't get my x-pipe on this weekend (the lift I was going to use was occupied by a project car), so we took the extra time to clean it up and paint it. The pipe itself is used and it had some surface scratches and rust. Yesterday Mike and I took some solvent and cleaned it up and then used some steel wool to further square things away. Today Adam and I sanded it down and then used some really high temperature paint and painted it. I have to say, the end result is impressive. The damn thing looks almost new again. Now all I have to do is get it on the car
Old 12-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
Graphics B*tch

Lets make Sean's statement a little more accurate. Sean sanded it and Adam painted it.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 12-28-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
So we didn't get my x-pipe on this weekend (the lift I was going to use was occupied by a project car), so we took the extra time to clean it up and paint it. The pipe itself is used and it had some surface scratches and rust. Yesterday Mike and I took some solvent and cleaned it up and then used some steel wool to further square things away. Today Adam and I sanded it down and then used some really high temperature paint and painted it. I have to say, the end result is impressive. The damn thing looks almost new again. Now all I have to do is get it on the car
How bout a pic? BTW, for any of you local guys I have a medium sized blast cabinate that's perfect for this kinda thing.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-28-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
Lets make Sean's statement a little more accurate. Sean sanded it and Adam painted it.
I also did the steel wool and the solvent, but it's a team effort, right? Did you ever get that quadrant done?
Old 12-28-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Graphics B*tch

Yeah, Aaron, Jose, and I finally finished around 8:30. Now I am going to be spending the next week adjusting the clutch.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 12-29-2008, 12:47 AM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Don't be surprised if that high temp paint smokes a little and then turns powdery the first time you heat it up. I had that happen when I used it on the old headers on the Chevelle.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Don't be surprised if that high temp paint smokes a little and then turns powdery the first time you heat it up. I had that happen when I used it on the old headers on the Chevelle.
How did the paint hold up over time? I'm going to follow the instructions for baking the stuff on, so I'm hoping it lasts a while. I'm basically just trying to prevent rust
Old 12-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
I actually forgot what you were doing this week-end. Sorry. So when are you doing the install?
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I actually forgot what you were doing this week-end. Sorry. So when are you doing the install?
Not sure. Do you know anyone that would let us use a lift? I guess doing it without one is a total nightmare. I just want to get it done before our dyno day on Feb. 21st. Are you gonna dyno the Vette Glenn? That'd be sweet
Old 12-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Sean, I was thinking a bit about doing the same thing to my new exhaust before bolting it on... I was a little worried about future rust though. I want to polish the tips again, but I don't want to worry about the surface rusting.. the rest of the exhaust can remain painted I think...

What you think I should do? I was originally thinking steel wool, but once the paint is off the tips I want to safely polish it..

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!