Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #21
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonydalrymple View Post
An 8.8 is almost as strong as a 9". If you plan on going faster than 10's; then you get a Currie "bolt in" nine inch. If not; the 8.8 will do quite nicely with some minor mods, (i can go into the details later if you like).
An 8.8 from a V8 '86-93 Mustang runs about $150 from any Pick-a part; complete from drum to drum. Often when found; the diffs have had a gear change. Last weekend there was one with 4.11's in the Pick-A-Part here in San Berdo......
Another option is to bolt in an 8.8 out of an '87-88 Thunder chicken turbo coupe..... The auto cars have a 3.73 LSD & the stick cars have the 3.55 LSD....... Both have rear discs as well.... The T-bird can also donate the 2.3 turbo setup.... If interested in the turbo coupe rear diff swap; go here: http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/~mjbobbitt/
Thanks for the great info. The big difference is the torque from an electric motor (easily upwards of 600 ft lbs, depending on motor chosen), is pretty stout. What are the gnarliest engines using an 8.8" with 3.55 - 4.11 gears and sticky tires?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 04-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Thanks for the great info. The big difference is the torque from an electric motor (easily upwards of 600 ft lbs, depending on motor chosen), is pretty stout. What are the gnarliest engines using an 8.8" with 3.55 - 4.11 gears and sticky tires?
Adam over at S.T.Motorsports is the preimminent Mustang "tuner" over here in the San Berdo area. "Big John" whom works for him and Adam's Dad both have turbo V8 foxbodies that both run well into the 10's with 8.8 diffs. All of them were at the Private Track Day by the way; tuning all those newer steeds with wipple chargers that Adam installed & tuned. I think all of them were running into the 10's(?). Adam's really good at what he does IMHO..... Little tid bit: My car was the first one Adam ever tuned.... He'd just installed his own dyno & bought the Diablo software when I went to find a tuner many moons ago....
Anyways, I think you're right about the 9" being the choice for handling the electric power train's immediate high torque load. Currie makes a nice "bolt in & go" 9" that I believe is called the "fab 9".......