Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems
View Poll Results: Would you be down for a salt flat run?
Hells Yeah. As long as Vettezuki doesn't come. 9 90.00%
No, because Vettezuki would be there. 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #31
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
The org does tech inspections and puts people into various categories. Asumming it's like the salt flats you have to move up progressively; you don't just go an drop the hammer on your first run.
I kind of just want to go without all of that. Too much government. I just want to put the hammer down. All the way down, for a few miles.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:00 AM   #32
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I kind of just want to go without all of that. Too much government. . . .
I think I need to a hold a series of lectures on the principles of anarcho-libertarian/capitalism.

It's a purely voluntary organization that helps create an environment in which those who join it can, to the greatest degree possible, safely and with certifiable measurability push the performance envelope of their vehicle.

Though if you want to give this a free-ball'n whirl, I might be in to help. I will have completed my CERT training by then, so I'll be qualified to perform triage on bodies, and maybe we can invest in some kind of data acquisition system so we can say what your "terminal" velocity was.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2010, 05:25 AM   #33
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
You may not hit it on salt and you almost certainly wouldn't hit it on a dry lake bed, like we have in CA.
Incorrect. El Mirage dry lake has been the site of many 160MPH+ record runs.
Edwards dry lake was the birth of hot rodding in many ways.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 AM   #34
Power's off.

Quote:
I kind of just want to go without all of that. Too much government. I just want to put the hammer down. All the way down, for a few miles.
If you don't install a roll bar, and 4 way belts first, you could die. It only takes a fart at that speed.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #35

I'm down with almost anything. The cheaper and closer the better.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:57 AM   #36

Quote:
Maybe we should limit this trip to only those with Z rated tires or better.
People with performance cars dont have these already... arg I hope not

but agreed, no need for a tire to implode on itself
Old 02-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #37
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Incorrect. El Mirage dry lake has been the site of many 160MPH+ record runs.
Edwards dry lake was the birth of hot rodding in many ways.
I'm only saying asphalt is faster than salt is faster than dirt. I saw a documentary on the speed channel with guys making runs with the timing association and this was their statement. I'm just reporting (though it makes sense to me.)

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #38
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
If you don't install a roll bar, and 4 way belts first, you could die. It only takes a fart at that speed.
Then I won't have to pay back my student loans.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #39

here is a link to El Mirage. There is no speed limit on the lake bed. There is now a fee for day use.
El Mirage Lakebed
The lakebed is a flat playa formed in an undrained basin. Silt and clay are deposited into this basin during periods of heavy rain. When the "lake" dries, a hard pan dry lakebed is left.

This hard, smooth surface is ideal for the unique activities conducted at El Mirage. These include ultra-light aircraft and gyrocopter flying, model rocketry, remote control airplane flying, landsailing and straight track racing. Many private pilots land on the lakebed to spend the day. The surface character has attracted the interest of many filming companies. Several major movies have scenes filmed here.

There is no speed limit on the open lakebed, but vehicle operators are responsible for their own safety, OHV rules and regulations, and knowing what is going on around them. The maximum speed limit is 15 miles per hour within 50 feet of camps and staging areas.

During permitted events, special speed limits and traffic restrictions are posted. Please watch for these events. To maintain a smooth surface, the lakebed is closed when wet or muddy. The California Highway Patrol, San Bernardino County Sheriff, and BLM Rangers patrol the area to encourage safe use by visitors.

Camping is permitted on the lakebed, but no more than 100 feet from the edge. This keeps the smooth center section of the lakebed clear for night riders.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/barstow/mirage.html
Old 02-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #40
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Lets plan a trip though it may be wet and muddy now?