Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 03-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Fast & Filthy

Default Check Your Connectors

I've been having some unusual problems with the Explorer for the last year or so. To top it off what I thought was a transmission problem turned out to be the transfercase. Anyways, while removing the trans I noticed that two of the harness connectors going to the trans had bare wires and the wires were touching. I'm sure this was contributing to some of my issues. So I went to Ford to see if they carried replacement connectors which they did but at over $75 a piece. So I went to the wrecking yard and cut the two I needed off another truck which cost me $4 each. Much better. I rewired in the new connectors so hopefully that will resolve my issues. I guess I'll find out once I finish installing the trans and transfercase.

The moral of this story is that you should check your connectors periodically. Especially ones that are under the car or truck like mine were. They get built up with oil, dirt, etc. that eats away the insulation and exposes the wires. I had this same issue when I first bought the Cobra.

Old connector.

New one.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:03 AM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Good advice. Do you have a heat gun? That shrink tubing doesn't look so tight around the wire in the pic.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Super Moderator

I had a similar problem on the Vette. It was causing lazy starting. The connector tips were corroding.

The fix was to cut the connector out and solder the wires directly together. It was just a connection between the engine harness and the firewall. No need for it.

Pretty common fix on C3s.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 AM   #4

I used this stuff Stabilant 22 for electrical connections. It will eliminate any connection problems. I solved many intermittent problems with this stuff.

http://www.stabilant.com/bccomp.htm

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 04-01-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Good advice. Do you have a heat gun? That shrink tubing doesn't look so tight around the wire in the pic.
I do have a heat gun and they are tight. I think it's just the crappy cell phone pic that makes it look that way. I also used wire loom ot it and then electrical tape so it's all sealed.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #6
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
I used this stuff Stabilant 22 for electrical connections. It will eliminate any connection problems. I solved many intermittent problems with this stuff.

http://www.stabilant.com/bccomp.htm

Bob
I haven't had any issues inside the Ford plugs. They seem to do a good job sealling the connectors and use dielectric grease on the insides to reduce contamination.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Super Moderator

You should see what some of the connectors looked like on my boat that I had to replace. Green copper, worn all they way down to a couple of strands.