Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Default CARB goes after your AC

Read and weep

http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/hfc-mac/hfc-mac.htm

According to O'Rielly the core charge is not taxable ( I think it is) but cans with receipts must be returned within 90 days. Depending on how the program works the core charge can be raised or lowered. I predict raised. Due to the paperwork the mfgs are subject to expect the cost of a can to go up.

On their agenda is to substitute high GHG (green house gas) refrigerants with a low GHG refrigerant.
Another item that is on hold is after you pass your smog test your AC will then be checked. If empty or leaking it will have to be repaired before registration will be issued.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

As long as you obey there won't be any trouble.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-05-2011, 05:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
As long as you obey there won't be any trouble.
I hope you are being sarcastic.
In the CARB info they say ALL mobile AC units leak.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by injdinjn View Post
I hope you are being sarcastic.
In the CARB info they say ALL mobile AC units leak.
Who me? Sarcasm? Never. Just want to make sure all the peasants, I mean people, do their part and remind them that failure to comply will not be met with kindness.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #5

From the text of it... A/C leak...NO regi renewal..

"This measure proposes to explore the addition of a new motor vehicle air conditioning (MAC) system leak test and repair requirement to the existing California Smog Check program for HFC-based MAC. Under this proposal, all vehicles that pass Smog Check would have MAC that are either nearly leak-free or empty and excluded from further use of the MAC system unless the leak is repaired. Vehicles that are determined to have unacceptable leak rates would be required to be repaired as a condition for registration. Considerable cooperation with the Bureau of Automotive Repair of the Department of Consumers Affairs is necessary before mandating that a new procedure be integrated into the statewide Smog Check program."

This is on "hold" for now but , somebody is working on it .
Old 01-05-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

It's good to see our hard earned money going to something useful.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 01-06-2011, 03:54 PM   #7

CARB, like the EPA, has tunnel vision.

They are worried about a few cc's of refrigerant and totally ignored the vehicle emissions and carbon footprint by the consumer making a 2nd trip to the retail store and the distributer picking up and returning the cans to their facility then trucking them to the mfgr. Save a penny by spending a dollar.
Reminds me of the wife that comes home with boxes of new clothes and tells the husband that she only bought them because they were on sale and saved $50.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by injdinjn View Post
CARB, like the EPA, has tunnel vision.

They are worried about a few cc's of refrigerant and totally ignored the vehicle emissions and carbon footprint by the consumer making a 2nd trip to the retail store and the distributer picking up and returning the cans to their facility then trucking them to the mfgr. Save a penny by spending a dollar.
Reminds me of the wife that comes home with boxes of new clothes and tells the husband that she only bought them because they were on sale and saved $50.
Them's unintended consequences.

There's been a lot of research on recycling. Some of it is sensible and effecient, recyling aluminum cans is the best example of useful recycling. Some of it is kind of a wash at best.

Same for the construction of solar panels, nickel metal hydride batteries and so on. They focus ONLY on the *intended* outcome and forget virtually all the real resource inputs and costs.

And yeah, $0 is always less than a sales price.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #9

But they are not really after the steel cans, they are after minuscule amounts of refrigerant.

Quote:
.... Manufacturers will then recover any refrigerant remaining
in the container and recycle the steel can. Manufacturers, distributors, retailers (upon ARB request), and recyclers must report to ARB sales data, the number of returned containers, and the amount of refrigerant recycled annually. The consumer deposit is adjustable and can be raised
or lowered depending on whether the container recycling rates fails to meet or exceeds certain targets respectively.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:24 AM   #10

I know someone who works at a parts store, and this is a state law that IS already in effect, and for every can you buy that is the old style, the place that sold it to you is liable for a MASSIVE fine. (its on the order of thousands of dollars per can. ) The deposit is not taxed, and is fully refunded on return of the can, but the can must be returned within 90 days. The only reason they want the can back is to remove any residual refrigerant in the can, not for the can itself.