Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-21-2015, 06:05 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default 200 hp

My Vette feels like it has 200hp. What, the, fuck??

I replaced the intake manifold gaskets because it was seeping oil. Took the carb apart and cleaned it. But the car has a rough acceleration now.

From low to mid rpm it feels almost like its either super rich, or Im missing fire in one cylinder. But the AFR checks out. And it literally feels like Im down 400hp, Sooo what the fuck?? Help me. Im a yuppie now, forgot how to tune.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Fast & Filthy

Did you do a compression test? Also check the plugs because if it was pulling from the lifter valley it would have been running lean and may have burned a plug.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

If it's not missing, but way down on power, sounds like lost compression as first guess. Any signs of blow by, consuming oil, typical shot rings kind of stuff?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Ok. Ill check the plugs and do a compression test. Maybe I just fucked up the intake manifold gasket install. Ug.

Doubt the rings are bad. They have about 2k miles on them.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #5
Super Moderator

The HGs on the other hand have been reused and copper sprayed 4 times now. Might have a leaky HG. But even with my last dyno run leaking 8 psi through my HG it still made over 400 whp. This feels like L48 slow.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #6
pain's fun, hit me again

You can be down a cylinder and have AFR check out. My last fuel system issue I lost two cylinders on each side and the AFR still read normal. If you have a laser temp fun check header primary temps.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:44 PM   #7
Super Moderator

FUCKIN BALLS my Vette's fast. I forgot what it was like to drive that car.

I did a compression test, cylinders checked out, all 100-110. But 4 of the spark plugs were super oil fouled. (From when my intake was sucking oil in from the lifter valley). I changed all the plugs, and woah... Smoother idle, touchy throttle, crazy hp and no rough accel.The left exhaust bank smoked for the first 10 mins burning the oil caked in those cylinders.

I put the hammer down fast at about 45mph and almost got sideways. Btw, what is the lowest PSI I can run 19" low pro tires at? I'm at 17 now.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
Fast & Filthy

I hope your gauge just reads low because 100-110 is really low. The Explorer cold cranks 150, the Cobra cranks 170-180 and if I remember correctly the Chevelle cranks 210. Compression ratios are 9.07, 9.28 and 12.2 respectively.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:42 PM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

Mine cranks cold in the 150 range too. 9.36:1 compression.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:32 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

There's kind of a a lot to engine cranking pressure, but agree 100-110 sounds pretty low. I know he has a big cam and its a stroker, but I don't think his CR was that low.

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/compre...pressure.shtml

PS 17 PSI on low pro street tires feels like asking for trouble, but I have no knowledge or data about it.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)