Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 02-10-2015, 01:47 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Biggest Smog Cam for LS1~

This is related to bringing my LS C3 Corvette back online, however, because it is a very specific cam question, I will ask it in dedicated thread.

QUESTION
What IS the largest I can go before I can't pass the sniffer?

ASSUMPTION
Declared as 2001 F Body
346ci and 11:1~ comp if it matters

TARGET
Street performance and passing sniffer.

HISTORY
Mine was advertised as 224/224 114 LSAm .566 lift. My understanding is that this was a common "smog" cam, the biggest you could go before busting the sniffer. I have stock manifolds and OE cats. Despite the cam, heads, LS6 intake, and larger TB I always passed the sniffer by a fair margin. Depending on how things go, I plan to get custom headers including hi-flow cats.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2015, 09:19 AM   #2
Fast & Filthy

I'd say you are the limit with an off the shelf cam. The Comp cam I put in the 347 in the Cobra is 212/218 @ .050 on a 114 LSA with a .544 lift and with a brand new 4 cat X-pipe I just passed. I think your only option for more performance from the cam is to get a custom grind.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

"Big" is relative, you can have a ton of lift with relatively small duration that will make better better power in a street car. Less overlap, more vacuum, no overlap, tons of vacuum.

If you didnt want to spend the money on a custom grind from FTI. I would pick something in the .6XX lift range with around 220 duration depending on the rocker arm ratio. That wiuld make for an extremely snappy street car and power would come on insanely fast. It wont spin to 7500, but it will get to 6500 in a flash
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Cool. I'll take it up with Troy. Something that puts around nice, passes smog, and jumps to 6k~ for peak power of around 430whp when all is said and done is about where I want to be. In a 3,000lbs car with everything else set up good n' proper is going to be plenty fast to be fun, more than I could really use other than romps onto the freeway, the occasional open road, etc.. At some point it becomes pretty pointless in a streetcar. Nothing wrong with that, just I'm not interested in having a mountain of power I won't ever really use.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Cool. I'll take it up with Troy. Something that puts around nice, passes smog, and jumps to 6k~ for peak power of around 430whp when all is said and done is about where I want to be. In a 3,000lbs car with everything else set up good n' proper is going to be plenty fast to be fun, more than I could really use other than romps onto the freeway, the occasional open road, etc.. At some point it becomes pretty pointless in a streetcar. Nothing wrong with that, just I'm not interested in having a mountain of power I won't ever really use.
The cost of a custom grind is around ~$75 more than a shelf cam, the difference is, even if the specs are the same, the lobe designs are proprietary to each grinder and they make a significant difference in ramp rates and what not. Justin and I use FTI and the cam i'm running now was spec'ed using help from FTI. He'll probably cut you a deal on a cam package if you're buying lifters from him anyhow.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
The cost of a custom grind is around ~$75 more than a shelf cam, the difference is, even if the specs are the same, the lobe designs are proprietary to each grinder and they make a significant different in ramp rates and what not. Justin and I use FTI and the cam i'm running now was spec'ed using help from FTI. He'll probably cut you a deal on a cam package if you're buying lifters from him anyhow.
I was just going to ask, how much for a custom cam anyhow? $75 over off the shelf is trivial if it makes much of a difference in performance behavior. I don't want a cam that is only really performing around peak RPM, but my understanding is that is more of an overlap issue than anything. I want a smooth "street performance" cam that works well cruising or WOT and passes smog. Given those requirements if a custom grind can improve over an off the shelf and it's <$100 difference great, if it is $100 for nothing noticeable really, then forget it. I have literally no idea.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
I was just going to ask, how much for a custom cam anyhow? $75 over off the shelf is trivial if it makes much of a difference in performance behavior. I don't want a cam that is only really performing around peak RPM, but my understanding is that is more of an overlap issue than anything. I want a smooth "street performance" cam that works well cruising or WOT and passes smog. Given those requirements if a custom grind can improve over an off the shelf and it's <$100 difference great, if it is $100 for nothing noticeable really, then forget it. I have literally no idea.
The difference is mostly, in what i've seen for most custom grinds, not just FTI is massively different torque, and torque curves. HP is also higher but the torque is what is noticeably different, at least for me.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/fti...ller-camshaft/
Just the cam
Or Choose whatever kit you want for whatever long block you choose.
http://www.flowtechinduction.com/fti...shaft-package/
Add in some Morel Lifters and you have a bad ass valvetrain, where the money really needs to be spent anyhow, that will fuckin move. Just tell Ed your intentions, weight, etc and he'll make it happen.

Stopping the world!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:25 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

OTOH, if a custom grind more or less dictates a tune, I'm not ready for that. I'd want to get my exhaust done, and that's gon' be a couple g. Mmm.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
OTOH, if a custom grind more or less dictates a tune, I'm not ready for that. I'd want to get my exhaust done, and that's gon' be a couple g. Mmm.
Necessary? No. Beneficial? Absolutely.

Stopping the world!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #10
I, Vettezuki

I suppose the difference between a custom smoggable street cam and an off the shelf smoggable street cam is not going to be so large as to be dangerous around lean-out conditions where shit melts. The computer can adjust trim based on O2 to some degree. But it already doesn't warm start idle for shit, don't need that to take a dump any further. I'll look into it further once I know the condition of the block and heads.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)