Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 09-19-2009, 04:53 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default Last Samurai

I was busy cleaning and reorganizing my storage and stumbled across these photos from the movie. I'm pretty deep into Japanese language, culture and history and thought I'd post a couple images with a little commentary.

The movie "Last Samurai" is clearly a Hollywood dramatization for the masses; reality is always more complex and murky, often with lots of brutality, ugliness and just plain stupidity. But in some ways "The Last Samurai" manages to capture some idealized aspects of pre-Western Japanese culture from the POV of the Samurai class (as I'm able to understand it from my own devoted amateur study.)

One nice thing about the movie is that they used Japanese for the Japanese and not just some "Asian". The language is correct. (Contrast to Memoirs of a Geisha where the main character was played by a Chinese, though she certainly did an admirable job.)

For me there are two main things that come out of these photos. One is the manor of sitting. It's easy to see here how tense and un-relaxed Tom Cruise (as most any westerner would be) sitting in this position. The Japanese still grow up spending a fair bit of time sitting on the floor in the home environment and are simply far more relaxed and for lack of a better word, pliable. The other is the apparent simplicity of the architecture. I love the "minimalist" Japanese aesthetic and would love to build a home inspired by this style someday.

Many people don't realize that the Japanese were full-tilt Feudal up through what was our Civil War. The setting (correct time period) for Last Samurai is roughly con-current with our post Civil War Indian Wars. In this pic you can see the lower class bowing to the Samurai. Lack of respect between class rank could rather easily result in the loss of one's head in rapid fashion. It was the absolute moral duty of Samurai to serve their lords and protect their "fiefs". They were raised from birth as a true warrior class.

To Tom Cruise's credit he spent something like a year in training for the film. But it is laughable (as the movie suggests) that his skills would be even vaguely comparable to a born Samurai. Still the scenery is beautiful.

Lot's to say about this actually, but the main thing is that the traditional Japanese aesthetic is the bottomless depth of simplicity and harmony of elements.

I once had a kind of (unsolicited) psychic reading. I was told I was a Samurai lord in ancient Japan. I just want to know if I had a cool helmet.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-19-2009, 11:29 PM   #2
Graphics B*tch

I own this movie and love it. I have a total respect for much of the Japaneese culture for the respect they show and this moive is just awesome!

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 09-19-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
I own this movie and love it. I have a total respect for much of the Japaneese culture for the respect they show and this moive is just awesome!

Let's just say a lack of respect was not a good option.

A lot of Japanese language, as it is spoken, is quite vague and indirect, and will be completely different according to who the speakers are. Conversations can go on, sentence after sentence without a subject (impossible in English) and other staggering vagueness. All of this evolved over a long period of time as a kind of conflict avoidance mechanism, as confrontation meant calling one's honor into question and poof battle to the death ensued.

This speaks to an aspect of their culture I admire greatly and apply in my own modern American way. Merely living is not good enough. To live fully, you must completely apply yourself to the principles you define your life by. For them, this was more important than life itself; preserving "honor" in the broad sense was paramount.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Neanderthal

I've always had a lot of respect for the Japanese.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 09-26-2009, 12:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I've always had a lot of respect for the Japanese.
Same here, cool culture. A good read along these lines is "Shogun" - I suppose you guys know that......
Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00fxd View Post
Same here, cool culture. A good read along these lines is "Shogun" - I suppose you guys know that......
I never read Shogun. A good book, one that was actually recommended by my Japanese boss, is Michael Crichton's "Rising Sun." (NOT the movie.)

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00fxd View Post
You have got to admire the Japanese. They have such a beautiful culture.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 09-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I never read Shogun. A good book, one that was actually recommended by my Japanese boss, is Michael Crichton's "Rising Sun." (NOT the movie.)
Michael Crichton????? Interesting.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 09-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Give shogun a look. I may have to look for Rising Sun............