Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #271

Many guys just flip around stock headers and build a y pipe to the turbo, you can buy turbo kits for a fox all day on ebay. But with it being an Rx7, you can make a custom set of heards, not to hard to make, some header flanges and some U pipes a little experience, a saw to cut pipe and a good welder.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:58 PM   #272
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtpony View Post
Many guys just flip around stock headers and build a y pipe to the turbo, you can buy turbo kits for a fox all day on ebay. But with it being an Rx7, you can make a custom set of heards, not to hard to make, some header flanges and some U pipes a little experience, a saw to cut pipe and a good welder.
Thanks for the info. We're going to have enough to do as it is, so I would punt on this much fab. I'll check out some of the turbo kits and see if they might work.

I am also considering centrifugal units like the Paxton.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #273
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Thanks for the info. We're going to have enough to do as it is, so I would punt on this much fab. I'll check out some of the turbo kits and see if they might work.

I am also considering centrifugal units like the Paxton.
A centrifugal would be a lot easier then a turbo or twin turbos. I think the only way to make a turbo fit in the engine compartment with the V8 would be to build a complete tube frame and get rid of the strut towers. I don't think all the piping will fit unless you do or it will be really ugly. I also wouldn't use anything less than DOM for the frame which is a lot more money and a lot of work. I would stick to either a roots or centrifugal or N/A.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #274
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
A centrifugal would be a lot easier then a turbo or twin turbos. I think the only way to make a turbo fit in the engine compartment with the V8 would be to build a complete tube frame and get rid of the strut towers. I don't think all the piping will fit unless you do or it will be really ugly. I also wouldn't use anything less than DOM for the frame which is a lot more money and a lot of work. I would stick to either a roots or centrifugal or N/A.
Ok, then that's that, I want to keep our adventures within the realm of reason for this outing. I'll forget about turbo time . . . this time.

What about that Paxton unit? Are they no bueno? I do have some reasources for desiging and CNC if we keep it under control, like a bracket.

BTW, FMI, is the exhaust port size/spacing on the 89+ 5.0L different than the old 289/302? I'm guessing yes. Just before reading this post, I saw this kit.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-19-2009, 11:10 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
BTW, FMI, is the exhaust port size/spacing on the 89+ 5.0L different than the old 289/302? I'm guessing yes.
Same spacing.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #276
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Same spacing.
Mmm, so theoretically those kits would fit the motor at least. . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 12:38 AM   #277
I, Vettezuki

Just exploring here, but I wonder if there isn't enough room . . .

Here's a 5.0 in an FC, pretty much exactly where we'll be at. There seems to be considerable clearance on the sides of the motor.

Here's an off the shelf turbo kit for a 5.0. The entire question is the room where the turbos go, which seem like they'd be somewhat behind the strut towers. This kit is *only* $600 + shipping for everything shown.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 01:31 AM   #278
I, Vettezuki

I've updated the poll options, removing the axle issue.

NA is obviously the smart easy choice, requiring only a different cam and intake and can use the cheapest fueling solution. Maybe a set of hi-comp pistons.

Centrifugal can be packaged and is a nice way to make simple power.

Twin Turbo is the most exotic, and may be out of scope for this project for complexity. But IF a 5.0 Kit works, the total real cost between the TT and the Centrifugal is not so great and possibly less since we would no longer have LT header cost, using the turbo manifolds instead.

Personally, I will enjoy any of these. Controlling for budget and difficulty, NA is the smart choice. HOWEVER, the purpose of the car is to be a reasonable challenge for us and to do some promoting for the site. Twin Turbo in front of anything packs a little more punch.

We'll see. The answer may be made for us by circumstance.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2009, 01:37 AM   #279
Super Moderator

Looks like those would fit, if not we could pound and cut and persuade. Remember that dude who fit the centrifugal blower with the Vic Jr, the Mighty Demon, and the carb bonnet under a stock hood with stock control arms? If there's a will there's a way.

My only concern would be power output. Those are itty bitty Turbos, how much air can they push? With a well aspirated engine those will need to push a lot of air to create any sort of decent boost backpressure.

Ben, don't back down. She needs boost to win the crowd.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #280
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Looks like those would fit, if not we could pound and cut and persuade. Remember that dude who fit the centrifugal blower with the Vic Jr, the Mighty Demon, and the carb bonnet under a stock hood with stock control arms? If there's a will there's a way.

My only concern would be power output. Those are itty bitty Turbos, how much air can they push? With a well aspirated engine those will need to push a lot of air to create any sort of decent boost backpressure.

Ben, don't back down. She needs boost to win the crowd.
I thought the turbos on my buddies GTO were small too but he put down 550rwhp. Also, the guy he bought the kit off of made 630rwhp with a 6.0 that was built more than my buddies 5.7.

Ben, it looks like it might fit as long as there is enough room in front of the engine. Those kits put one of the pipes across the front of the motor which might not fit. I could measure the Cobra and then the RX-Snake to see how they compare.