Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-17-2014, 02:33 AM   #1
I, Vettezuki

Default No C7 ZR1

After seeing the new ZO6 specs I was all like, wow, the ZR1 is going to be from outer space if that's the ZO6. Well, not so fast. Apparently there is no C7 ZR1 planned.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #2

Not for a couple years at least.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 01-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
I, Vettezuki

GM is "saying" it's not even on their roadmap. That could change if they thought there was enough demand, but the fact is the ZO6 is powered up and FI I think they might be serious about no ZR1. They would be flirting with hypercar territory, and certainly have to do something quite a bit more advanced, double clutch, some kind of hybrid system, things like that.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #4

No ZR1 sounds about right in my book. Keep the ZR1 name something special dont pull it out for every model year. GM has learned from the era of putting SS on everything. Plus the new Z06 is bad ass!!!
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #5
Internet Tough Guy

Really the new zo6 is more of a direct replacement for the zr1. They will offer varying performance packages for it. The talk is that the z07x is coming based on the zo6x concept.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 01-20-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

I agree. The ZO6 platform spread is going to be pretty exceptional I think. Curious to see if/when we'll see a double clutch and or some kind of hybrid system. Those seem like inevitable once the price works out.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-20-2014, 04:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I agree. The ZO6 platform spread is going to be pretty exceptional I think. Curious to see if/when we'll see a double clutch and or some kind of hybrid system. Those seem like inevitable once the price works out.
I doubt we will ever see a DCT from GM. And really i'm ok with that. Yes DCT's are fast but feel like crap at around town driving.

From what I understand GM was able to increase the shift speed of the 6 speed by some 50% by just a software tweak. and they built the new 8 speed to be just as fast as a PDK on full throttle up shift. If it aint broke dont' fix it.
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20
Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
I, Vettezuki

Tech will continue to advance to who knows where. GM has filed for a patent on a DCT AIR. But yeah, there seems to be room in other designs. Koenigsegg has a AMT that is as fastas a dog ring setup allowing to handle much more torque while being much lighter and smaller than a DCT.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)