Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
It's cool. I vote for mine over that one... but nicely done. Make one that looks like mine and let's make a poll.

I think it's funny that RX was supposed to stand for rotary experimental, so we're getting rid of the wrong part of the model name. Not that 7 is any more an indication of the car than RX, I think 7 denotes the 7th attempt?
I'm voting for Leedom's. Ford is really going after people and I'm afraid if we use the SVT snake they might come after us....
Old 01-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
I also really like the direction of the RX Snake logo you mocked up. My only concern would be the IP rights to the snake. Especially considering Ford's penchant for going after enthusiasts for your using their trademarks. It's a touchy area.

I would not worry about it. If FORD doesn't like it, they will send out a letter wanting money.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I would not worry about it. If FORD doesn't like it, they will send out a letter wanting money.
If it's more than $20, we're on sketchy ground. If we stylize the snake and make it our own, it becomes more and more a grey area. Then only a real prick in their legal department would make an issue of it, which is still possible. I wonder what joedls's preference for direction is?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I'm voting for Leedom's. Ford is really going after people and I'm afraid if we use the SVT snake they might come after us....
I thought that they were only after people who were selling unlicenced merchandise. We would not be selling anything therefore we wouldn't be violating the copyright. Enkeivette, this is your field can you confirm?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #15
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
I thought that they were only after people who were selling unlicenced merchandise. We would not be selling anything therefore we wouldn't be violating the copyright. Enkeivette, this is your field can you confirm?
In the field of IP, if you display a trademarked image, you as the licensee, or sublicensee (having bought a shirt, hat, etc.) will have paid for the right to use licensor's trademark. The fact we aren't selling a product is irrelevant to them. We would be publicly displaying their trademark without having licensed the use of the trademark.

Here's what most likely would happen. We could use it, potentially for a long period of time. Then eventually Ford Legal somehow finds out. Their most likely first course of action would simply be to send a cease and desist order, which means remove the trademark. Even I (and I'm super strict about this stuff) wouldn't expect to be sued for any monetary compensation since as you stated, it is not our intent to profit directly from the sale of merchandise using their trademark. It's just that ultimately, that it isn't what makes it legal or illegal.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:41 AM   #16
Neanderthal

Quote:
In the field of IP, if you display a trademarked image, you as the licensee, or sublicensee (having bought a shirt, hat, etc.) will have paid for the right to use licensor's trademark. The fact we aren't selling a product is irrelevant to them. We would be publicly displaying their trademark without having licensed the use of the trademark.

Here's what most likely would happen. We could use it, potentially for a long period of time. Then eventually Ford Legal somehow finds out. Their most likely first course of action would simply be to send a cease and desist order, which means remove the trademark. Even I (and I'm super strict about this stuff) wouldn't expect to be sued for any monetary compensation since as you stated, it is not our intent to profit directly from the sale of merchandise using their trademark. It's just that ultimately, that it isn't what makes it legal or illegal.
Do you really think FORD is going to raise a stink about you using the Snake on the vehicle? We sell a number of licensed products (GM) here. I have never seen GM go after anyone for their use on a Vehicle.No matter how they used them.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Do you really think FORD is going to raise a stink about you using the Snake on the vehicle? We sell a number of licensed products (GM) here. I have never seen GM go after anyone for their use on a Vehicle.No matter how they used them.
I would guess that's entirely a function of how exposed the car becomes. Additionally, since the car is connected to an entity (Motorgen.com) and not just a private individual, it raises the possibility of them raising a stink. BTW, I'm not saying forget it, just raising a flag and discussing risk aversion. I think keeping the basic design and stylizing the snake will substantially reduce the probability of possible trouble. Let's go ahead and one with a couple of variants of these two designs and see which one everyone likes the most on pure aesthetics. Then we can talk about it in concrete terms.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 01-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #18
Neanderthal

Quote:
I would guess that's entirely a function of how exposed the car becomes. Additionally, since the car is connected to an entity (Motorgen.com) and not just a private individual, it raises the possibility of them raising a stink. BTW, I'm not saying forget it, just raising a flag and discussing risk aversion. I think keeping the basic design and stylizing the snake will substantially reduce the probability of possible trouble. Let's go ahead and one with a couple of variants of these two designs and see which one everyone likes the most on pure aesthetics. Then we can talk about it in concrete terms.
Since you are using the term "Snake" and not "Cobra" I'd say use it.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #19
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
Here is a very rough concept for the RX-Snake Logo. Let me know what you guys think.

I like this one. I'd just say make the snake a little bigger.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
I like this one. I'd just say make the snake a little bigger.
I agree with Glenn. I like the way this looks better than having the snake on top of the RX.