Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #1
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk
Default The most amazing engines on the planet...

Here is a quick overview of Formula 1 engines - simply amazing pieces of engineering...

Formula One Engines
The F1 engine is the most complex car of a current Formula One car. It consists of close to 5000 parts of which around 1500 are moving elements. When all of these elements are fixed together after 2 weeks of work it it can produce more than 750hp and reach more than 20,000 rpm. At its maximum pace the current V8 engines consume around 60 litres of petrol for 100km of racing.

While manufacturers could easily continue to develop better engines within the 2006 regulations, the FIA ruled that this unnecessary cost was to be ruled out as it introduced an engine freeze as of the 2007 Formula One season. Instead of a yearly 20 to 30hp gain, the manufacturers cannot further develop their engines and are imposed a rev limit of 19,000 rpm.

At the end of 2005, the last season where the regulations allowed 3litre engines with 10 cylinders, some engines were producing more than 980hp and running very close to the 1000hp mark, a figure that was never reached since the ban on turbo engines. It was a sign for F1's governing body to change the regulations as top speeds at Monza of 370km/h were deemed hazardous for the drivers as well as the spectators.

In 2004, Renault released a small videoclip of their engine at work on the dyno. You can find it here.

At the moment, all f1 engines can produce around 720 hp with 8 cilinders in a 90 degree V-angle. The limitation of 19000 rpm as of 2007 however limits that performance a bit further.and. These engines are mainly made from forged aluminium alloy, because of the weight advantages it gives in comparison to steel. Other materials would maybe give some extra advantages, but to limit costs, the FIA has forbidden non-ferro materials.

It's not exactly known how much oil such a top engine contains, but this oil is for 70% in the engine, while the other 30% is in a dry-sump lubrication system that changes oil within the engine three to four times a minute.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #2
Boost Junkie

That's all well and good Sean... but where's a picture? And can I make a mini model of it to run my 1/5 scale Rc car on?

I love F1 racing. Beautiful pieces of machinery..

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
Resident Avatar Gambler

Old 12-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Resident Avatar Gambler

Not an F1 engine (this is out of the Enzo) but beautiful anyway

Old 12-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #5
Boost Junkie

So beautiful!!! I want a small scale

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
So beautiful!!! I want a small scale

hey lets take one of these and put it as a base to a coffee table for our family room
Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisgirlkera View Post
hey lets take one of these and put it as a base to a coffee table for our family room
I'm so lucky... what about using a factory spec b18c5???? ITR!!!

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #8
Internet Tough Guy

"most complex car of a formula 1 car"????
"amount of oil unknown"????
"Can consume 60litres of petrol for every 100km of racing"???

Formula 1 engines no doubt are the peak in internal combustion engine technology, but some of these facts are lame.

First: I would disaggree with the statement it cannot be the car comple car of a car because if it is the car then it would be idntical to the car it was therefore equally complex.
Now I would agree that it is the most complex component of a formula car in terms of mechanical complexity/ moving parts, but from an unobtanium materials point of view I would go for the F-1 transmissions. There made out of carbon fiber. That's just sick.

Second: can someone please tell me why the amount of oil in a f-1 car is unknown? Does oil undergo nuclear fission at 20000rpm?

Third: 60litres of fuel for 100km of racing? Top fuel cars burn 5 (18.5litres) gallons of nitromethonal doing a burnout.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:14 PM   #9
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
. . .

Now I would agree that it is the most complex component of a formula car in terms of mechanical complexity/ moving parts, but from an unobtanium materials point of view I would go for the F-1 transmissions. There made out of carbon fiber. That's just sick.

Second: can someone please tell me why the amount of oil in a f-1 car is unknown?

I basically agree. Also, the interesting bit about oil in an F1 engine is that it is only very slightly more viscous than water.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-04-2008, 09:51 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Default The more impressive R26B

The 787B won the 24 hours of Le Mans in 91, only to be outlawed at the end of the season in favor of the F1 engine cars.