Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #1

Default It'll be a challenge to reach 54.5 MPG as Americans get heavier

Filed under: Green Culture, MPG, USA

Obesity has reached epidemic proportions in recent decades in the US, and with our bulging bellies has come an increase in serious health issues like diabetes and heart disease. Add to that excess gasoline consumption and additional risks in accidents, and the fat forecast gets even more depressing.

Starting with the statistic that Americans' weight gain is burning more than one billion gallons of excess fuel each year, Allstate and Cars.com have created an infographic explaining the complex struggle between fuel efficiency and passenger weight (check it out below). The short version: as automakers explore their options to meet ambitious federal corporate average fuel economy standards of 54.5 mpg by 2025, obese passengers make the efforts more complex.

The infographic, called "The Seesaw Battle of Fuel Efficiency," looks at what automakers are doing to meet the 54.5 mpg mandate during a time when more than one third of American adults are obese. For the automakers, cutting down weight is important because every 100 extra pounds can cut fuel efficiency by up to two percent. To improve efficiency, automakers are reducing vehicle weight by using more lightweight, high-strength steel and lightweight aluminum. They are also changing accessories inside the car, such as using MP3 players instead of CD players, flash drives instead of owner's manuals and air pumps instead of spare tires. To paraphrase Jay Leno, take out all you want, we'll eat more.Continue reading It'll be a challenge to reach 54.5 MPG as Americans get heavier
It'll be a challenge to reach 54.5 MPG as Americans get heavier originally appeared on Autoblog Green on Wed, 10 Oct 2012 17:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...
Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #2

This is true.

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #3

I would write a long response , but the ice is melting my 64oz soda , and I need it to wash down my 1 lb burrito .
Old 10-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdracer73 View Post
I would write a long response , but the ice is melting my 64oz soda , and I need it to wash down my 1 lb burrito .
You on a diet or something?
1988 Trooper II SAS
1986 TrooperII (No Rear)
1988 Impulse (dead)
1983 K20