Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #21
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
The weight of the oil, ie: 5W30 indicates the viscosity (ability to flow) at low and high temperatures and don't have to do with its lubricating properties. Oil needs to be heated to ~170F IIRC to work best at lubricating. Since the majority of engine wear happens at startup, its best to get the oil up to its operating temperature quickly. I just wanted to point out not to overlook the importance of the engine oil to be warm enough to work well.

http://xse.com/leres/ss/oilcooler.html

This links shows an oil cooler installation on a Camaro SS. I should think the same could be applied to a Corvette. He installed a thermostat in his system.

Bob
Kinda of a different level, but I know the F1 guys actually fully preheat and run oil through engine system and trans before firing it up. Apparently the damn thing would seize on startupif they didn't.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 12-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #22
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedhead View Post
The weight of the oil, ie: 5W30 indicates the viscosity (ability to flow) at low and high temperatures and don't have to do with its lubricating properties. Oil needs to be heated to ~170F IIRC to work best at lubricating. Since the majority of engine wear happens at startup, its best to get the oil up to its operating temperature quickly. I just wanted to point out not to overlook the importance of the engine oil to be warm enough to work well.

http://xse.com/leres/ss/oilcooler.html

This links shows an oil cooler installation on a Camaro SS. I should think the same could be applied to a Corvette. He installed a thermostat in his system.

Bob
I know its lubricating ability wont change because of the weight, only its flow characteristics, as you stated, which would decrease the time it would take for the oil to get up to temp since its going to move faster, or so ive been taught. Especially if you're not driving the car. I know any time i take mine out i let it warm up, but thats me.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
Internet Tough Guy

No Thermostat it is just a billet plate that diverts oil from the filter to the cooler and then back to the filter. It just serves as a place to tap into the oil system with out having to drill or get a second pump. My oil temps get very high very fast to I'm concerned about the high temp break down more than the start-up. The majority of the wear at startup isn't because the oil isn't up to speed it's because there is no oil pressure at start-up. No oil pressure means no hydraulic wedge to keep from having metal on metal contact. That is why the accusumps are nice. They are just a accumulator large enough to handle small transients and provide pressure for start-ups. My car will be making the transition to race-car so I'm working on the items that will maximize the longevity of the components. So less weight and less heat.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter