Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #41

I'll take one of these also! King of the Hammers rig. Bad Ass desert runner and also geared down 4x4 for slow rock crawling.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:09 AM   #42
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle Crazy View Post
I'll take one of these also! King of the Hammers rig. Bad Ass desert runner and also geared down 4x4 for slow rock crawling.

I want one of those too along with my truggy.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #43
Graphics B*tch

Quote:

King of the Hammers is an awesome race. I like it because you really have to have a well balanced rig to run that thing. I would like one too please!

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 12-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #44
Boost Junkie

Quote:

you need some steel balls for that ish! looks fun!!!

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
Sean's is a different model! I have never argued that. Since when have we talked about the difference in models. Just differences in years. I really do not care if it is a different gen or not. I classify the 98 and newer differently then the 93-97. that is it. if you said to someone who knows anything about Rangers you wanted a 2nd gen they would ask i-beams or a-arms (since you are showing an off-road version I would assume you would be talking with someone who also likes off roading in this case). That is a big difference and it also happens to be the difference I see. Also I really doubt that they would ask what model for the most part unless they were talking about an edge because there are differences in that suspension compared to the rest, but that is a minor part about this argument.
Ok, excuse me, generation, not model. Is Sean's a different generation of Mustang than yours because it has different suspension? I mean, if all it takes is a suspension change to change the model generation, then Sean's is also a different generation of Mustang right?

And are the 4x4 rangers with torsion bars instead of coil springs a different generation too?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #46
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Ok, excuse me, generation, not model. Is Sean's a different generation of Mustang than yours because it has different suspension? I mean, if all it takes is a suspension change to change the model generation, then Sean's is also a different generation of Mustang right?

And are the 4x4 rangers with torsion bars instead of coil springs a different generation too?
Nope I would not argue that Sean's is a different generation. True he has an independent rear but nobody would look at his car and my car and think they are different body styles/generations if they knew anything about mustangs. Just the same way that anyone who knew anything about rangers would not think that the 99 edge is a different generation than a 99 2WD ranger. 4x4 is kind of like the argument about the differences in Cobra to Mach 1 to GT. Most people know that a 4x4 suspension is different in some way than a 2WD. Since you are not going to let this go I will just say this. The 93-97 may not be a different generation than a 98 to current but there I will not stop arguing that the 98 to current are in a different classification in my eyes then a 93-97.

Take these examples. If said said I wanted a 2nd gen ranger then I would ask i-beam or a-arm because that is a BIG difference. Much the same way if someone said I want a Cobra I would ask if you wanted a Terminator (03-04) or another year Cobra for example, because there is a big difference. There would need to be clarification of the vague statements.

290HP / 305TQ

Old 12-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #47
Super Moderator

I just don't like the fact that I've driven a long travel I beam Ranger and an A -arm Ranger, I've worked on both of them doing several serious projects on my friends A -Arm Ranger, and I could see a 98 driving down the freeway and say to my friend "Hey, check out that 2nd gen" and he could reply, "No moron, that's a 3rd gen, don't you know anything about Rangers?"

If you can't tell the difference by looking at the body from most angles, it's stupid to grant the model a different generation just because of a suspension change. Because as you stated, different sub-models within a model have different suspension setups. No one refers to a Sean's Mustang as a different generation than your Mach beause of the IRS. And no one, refers to a torsion bar Ranger as a different generation than an coil A -arm Ranger, so why refer to an A -arm Ranger as a different model than an I -beam Ranger?

In closing, when my buddy and I go to the junk yard looking for a tailgate for his 2003 ('3rd gen') Ranger, we'll be looking for a 2nd gen truck (93-03).
Old 12-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #48
Graphics B*tch

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I just don't like the fact that I've driven a long travel I beam Ranger and an A -arm Ranger, I've worked on both of them doing several serious projects on my friends A -Arm Ranger, and I could see a 98 driving down the freeway and say to my friend "Hey, check out that 2nd gen" and he could reply, "No moron, that's a 3rd gen, don't you know anything about Rangers?"

If you can't tell the difference by looking at the body from most angles, it's stupid to grant the model a different generation just because of a suspension change. Because as you stated, different sub-models within a model have different suspension setups. No one refers to a Sean's Mustang as a different generation than your Mach beause of the IRS. And no one, refers to a torsion bar Ranger as a different generation than an coil A -arm Ranger, so why refer to an A -arm Ranger as a different model than an I -beam Ranger?

In closing, when my buddy and I go to the junk yard looking for a tailgate for his 2003 ('3rd gen') Ranger, we'll be looking for a 2nd gen truck (93-03).
Adam, I dropped arguing whether it is a 2nd or 3rd gen a while ago. I classify the year set differently. There is a different classification between I-Beam and A-Arm in my eyes. That is it. That is all I am saying anymore.
If your buddy is looking for a replacement A-Arm go ahead and look for anything from the 2nd gen to replace that. That would include anything 93-2009 right and it would bolt right up according to your logic.

290HP / 305TQ

Old 12-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #49
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leedom View Post
Adam, I dropped arguing whether it is a 2nd or 3rd gen a while ago. I classify the year set differently. There is a different classification between I-Beam and A-Arm in my eyes. That is it. That is all I am saying anymore.
If your buddy is looking for a replacement A-Arm go ahead and look for anything from the 2nd gen to replace that. That would include anything 93-2009 right and it would bolt right up according to your logic.
No, that's not my logic, it's yours. I don't consider a suspension change a generation change. If I needed to replace the rear end/ suspension in my 3rd gen Vette, I couldn't use parts from Ben's 3rd gen Vette, but... it's still a 3rd gen Vette.

And no you can't use 97 and earlier front suspension parts on an A-arm ranger '3rd gen' Ranger, but then again you can't use parts from a 4wd OR 2wd torsion bar '3rd gen' Ranger either. So that's a moot point.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #50
I, Vettezuki

I got a crazy idea. What does FORD consider to be a 2nd vs. 3rd gen Ranger?

The Japanese breakdown by generation and series. For example, our project car is FC S4 (86-88). S5 was 89-91. THEN a generation change to FD S6 and so on.

Basically when the whole damn thing changes (or very close to it), that's a generation change. Corvette C3 - C4 - C5 is crystal clear. But when when items, including suspension and even engine configurations change, that's not enough in and of itself to be a generation change . . . unless the manufacturer says it does. Just my $.02.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)