Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Default My Top End Speed Attempt at Lake El Mirage

WellI had a blast. It was fun yet scary as hell. Here's how it went;

First of all the lakebed, It was empty except for my car, one motorcycle and a filming crew on one side of the lakebed. Unfortunately though, instead of 4mi of lakebed we only had about 2.5 where we could do a run safely. Some idiots in subaru's and bmw's went in after hours and did some drifting, leaving some big dips and gashes on the surface. These were things i didnt wanna run over at 150+mph. So we went back and forth a couple times trying to find the smoothest path, which wasnt easy. I did a couple test runs first. One at 100mph all the across to see how it felt and another up to 150 where i let off and coasted for a mile. Then i went for it, couldnt go wot at all so i had to ease into it. No traction and my 315/30 r18 rears didnt help on dirt. At 160mph a very slight dip made me let off for a second but at 180mph i must got a cross wind or something, plus a lack of downforce, that made the rear sway and i shut her down. Now without being able to go wot, no traction and letting off for a second, i was doing 180mph @ 5600rpm in a distance of 1.8mi.(you can see the odometer in the vid) So, i know that on pavement with some traction i am capable of the 200mph mark. I felt that was good enough and i didnt wanna push my luck. Also i know i didnt have traction the entire length ofthe run because the car felt floaty and i ate up 2/32nds of tread. Like driving on sandpaper! So iy was a little scary but fun. I would deffinately recommend a spoilerand skinniertires,like255'smax.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
I, Vettezuki

Wow. Someday I'd like to organize a MG full speed run day.

I guess that's just dust coming from underneath?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
pain's fun, hit me again

No his vette is an oil burner, dont belive me? Ask nate
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
No his vette is an oil burner, dont belive me? Ask nate
No I know. The earlier LSs in particular were known to chew up oil. But those lower tolerance (looser fit) rings are part of why they can do sustained high speed without the rings fusing to the cylinder walls.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-14-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
pain's fun, hit me again

Thats not his problem, his engine is a high maintenance bitch, he's been fighting oil smoking problems, broken valve springs, broken rockers etc. But what do you expect? Its a vette after all
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #6
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
Thats not his problem, his engine is a high maintenance bitch, he's been fighting oil smoking problems, broken valve springs, broken rockers etc. But what do you expect? Its a vette after all
Not much really. Broken valve springs are another commonality of earlier LS motors. Done brok'd one myself. It bizaarely manifested as something that felt like and ignition problem (bad coil, misses) but it was probably the computer all confused about what the F was going on more than anything.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-15-2011, 02:00 AM   #7
pain's fun, hit me again

Yeah but im pretty sure he doesnt even have factory heads any more.

Stopping the world!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #8

regeared? was under the impression factory gearing wouldnt let you get to 200 without using 6th, which isnt supposed to be able to take the power necessary for 200, or so the debate on CF led me to believe.

Either way, damn impressive!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:03 AM   #9
pain's fun, hit me again

His corvette is neutured, tis be auto

Stopping the world!
Old 10-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #10
Internet Tough Guy

Auto zo6?
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter