Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-29-2013, 02:33 AM   #11
pain's fun, hit me again

Well, the R34 does stand for all things that is hating America
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Internet Tough Guy

GTRs are not magic. They have a very good transmission and run super low gear ratios. I would still take a mildly modified Z. The real advantage is that you actually have to be skilled to drive a Z. The GTR will drive itself until pushed past the limit. I do thing that GM should offer a track specific alignment which Nissan does.
2009 Jetta Auto 2.5 liter
Old 07-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
GTRs are not magic. They have a very good transmission and run super low gear ratios. I would still take a mildly modified Z. The real advantage is that you actually have to be skilled to drive a Z. The GTR will drive itself until pushed past the limit. I do thing that GM should offer a track specific alignment which Nissan does.
Absolutely. Nissan built a very specific car for a pretty specific demographic range and it works. The tech employed is impressive and the results are undeniable. I'd like to drive one to see what it's like. What I like about my relatively light/powerful, but extremely primitive C3 is that it's just sort of a hoot to drive as you're not insulated from anything.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
Internet Tough Guy

I am really disappointed that the Stingray doesn't have a dual clutch option. After the GTR was release Porsche developed the PDK, Audi's DSG was completely re- engineered, and with the Audi the Lambo gearbox obviously was re-worked. It worth a second down the quarter much more on a road coarse. I'm saving for the PPG t-56 gearset. $4700 for parts, but worth 4 seconds at VIR. Why is everything so expensive?
Old 07-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
I am really disappointed that the Stingray doesn't have a dual clutch option. After the GTR was release Porsche developed the PDK, Audi's DSG was completely re- engineered, and with the Audi the Lambo gearbox obviously was re-worked. It worth a second down the quarter much more on a road coarse. I'm saving for the PPG t-56 gearset. $4700 for parts, but worth 4 seconds at VIR. Why is everything so expensive?
Is it worth THAT much time? I thought maybe hundredths and tenths, which add up of course, but not seconds. That's fucking epic! Am I misunderstanding what you're talking about?

I know the LFA, which is several hundred thousand dollars was originally designed with a dual clutch, but they specifically went back to a single clutch for feel and "involvement". Since it's not a track car they thought the loss of a couple hundredths here and there wasn't a big deal.

If we're talking about a small amount of time my guess is GM made the money calculation that it was more important to keep the base price down. The value equation for Corvette is critical. Remember the base Vette is in the 50s. The GT-R is in the 90s. Even the base 911 is in the 80s.

As for your PPG gearset, it costs that much because they can get it. The only rule of pricing there is.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Internet Tough Guy

MTI Racing won last years UTCC and estimates a .4 second reduction in upshift time with the PPG gears. That's 1.2 seconds of acceleration that is not happening in a 1/4 mile thats 2-3 MPH. The PPG gears still require you to lift the throttle slightly. The LFA is infinitely faster than any manual except for a full dog clutch-less box. The LFA still only has one clutch so there is a finite amount of time the car spends not accelerating. The Dual-Clutch transmissions have the second clutch grab the next gear and the short gear will free-spin. This means that the lower gear is not released until the higher gear starts driving. The end result is the car is continuously accelerating. Huge difference. MTI estimated on a very large course like VIR the PPG gears are worth 4 seconds. I'd prefer to see the next generation Z or ZR1 have a truly modern transmission. Fuck the blower.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #17
I, Vettezuki

That makes sense. I thought you meant 1 second in ET, not non-acceleartion time. That's a compared to an average shifter guy I suppose, but the guys who are hardcore about dragging get pretty ridiculously fast, power shift, etc.

Good point about the LFA, I was comparing apples to oranges.

Maybe a good step up would be a dual clutch for the Z51, since it is a premium package, and a dual clutch twin turbo for the next ZR1, since that's a flag ship. I think a pretty solid argument could be made for that in a product line up. The base remains very approachable, but it spreads out to monsters, sort of like America's Porsche . .

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #18
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Absolutely. Nissan built a very specific car for a pretty specific demographic range and it works. The tech employed is impressive and the results are undeniable. I'd like to drive one to see what it's like. What I like about my relatively light/powerful, but extremely primitive C3 is that it's just sort of a hoot to drive as you're not insulated from anything.
It was pretty awesome, my buddy said he may even let me take it to Adam's if he's drunk enough to say yes.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:49 PM   #19
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
It was pretty awesome, my buddy said he may even let me take it to Adam's if he's drunk enough to say yes.
It's a catch 22. If he drank enough to let you do that, he'd die.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 07-30-2013, 12:23 AM   #20
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
It's a catch 22. If he drank enough to let you do that, he'd die.
Talked to him today while he was sober and he said he's considering it. Modded GTR at Adams

Stopping the world!