Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 12-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #171
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Exactly. And it is possible that in some very specialized cases (think jacuuzi, stereo beyond all reason, etc.) the system would have needs beyond what any single alternator (that I'm aware of) could provide. I'm guessing this wasn't the case, but context matters here. Is there a link to the original story?
Link? You to wade thru 20,000 posts. How about a synopsis?

Old 12-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #172
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Link? You to wade thru 20,000 posts. How about a synopsis?
Sure. Why did he suggest two alternators? All enkeivette and I are saying is that in some, admittedly very narrow cases, it may not be inccorect to suggest dual alternators. That's it. I'm guessing it's more colorful than that, so we await your recounting.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #173

Quote:
....... that in some, admittedly very narrow cases, it may not be incorrect to suggest dual alternators.
I agree... maybe if you have a hot tub or a dozen flatscreens and surround sound....

Old 12-24-2008, 06:35 PM   #174
Power's off.

Quote:
Sure. Why did he suggest two alternators? All enkeivette and I are saying is that in some, admittedly very narrow cases, it may not be inccorect to suggest dual alternators. That's it. I'm guessing it's more colorful than that, so we await your recounting.
Sorry for the intermission: Dinner:

IN THE BEGENNING, we had clocking:

When the chosen one first joined CF, someone first asked, how do you clock an alternator? Before anyone who knew could answr, he posted
"You should never clock an alternator at home. You should take it to the professionals at O'Rieleys." (An auto parts house midwest).

Of course, all us old guys fell out of our chairs laughing our collective asses off.

(BTW, he now has a paper on "How to clock an alternator).

Fast forward 1 year or so:
The chosen one posts pictures of his new engine, touting the dual alternator/serp belt set up with dual optima yellow top batteries.
Similarly, at that time, he started posting papers about CS alternators and their installation.

When asked why he would need such a set up, it was about safety,(He doesn't like getting stuck on the side of the road), and being able to play his stereo at full thumper volume while idling.

Why someone with fear of being stranded would remove his jack to install a second battery is beyond me, more important is the requirement for this necessity in a sports car.

As we all know, the underhood real estate in a Vette is precious. (LS engines or Procharger installations). We also know the "cavernous cabin" of a C-3 is HUGE. The logic of it all, along with the need for boiling your ears at idle is overwhelming.

BUT, in the interest of perpetuating the need for safety, we had the "How I built a "Dual windshield washer pump" thread.

In sumation, things(gadgets) that he doesn't understand fascinate him. I am quite sure JC Whitneys client base is represented by his demographic.

Airplanes/ships have redundent charging systems for obvious reasons. Hell, the B1B has three independent buss systems. Emergency vehicles have dual systems for obvious reasons also. However, in a sports car, it's just bling. PERIOD.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:03 PM   #175
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad79 View Post
I agree... maybe if you have a hot tub or a dozen flatscreens and surround sound....
Here in Cali, that IS how some people roll. But sure is hell ain't about safety.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)

Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #176
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad79 View Post
If I had something for sale that you want... would you send me a check/MO ???

Until not so long ago we were able to send MO or a personal check for something we bought from long time members off the CF sale section ... now because of one individual who has apparently no intentions to refund the money or send the item we now have to step back and resort to credit cards/Paypal to have leverage when a deal goes south.... thanks everybody at the other forum who supports the guy who does not deliver and at the same time making the victim look like the bad guy

Well, I agree on any other other internet purchase: CC / Paypal ... buyer be careful out there ...
I would trust YOU, if I was selling a used clutch and you wanted to check it out first, I'd go so far as to ship it to you and await payment after I get your approval. But $800 for a set of heads? Think I'd stick with PayPal just for peace of mind. I wouldn't demand a COD or anything, but how hard is it to PayPal someone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Dep View Post
Alternators...I'm no electrical expert like DB (haha). But an alternator only puts out what the system demands. I can see installing a high output single alternator if you have a ton of electrical doodads on the car that drain the battery or electrical system. But dual alternators would only be useful as a conversation piece. Even a dual battery car can use a single alternator to charge both batteries. They have a device that automatically switches the charging power over to the battery needing a charge.
No, don't start using words like always, never and only. You're asking for trouble.

Let's do some quick math, and Bird feel free to correct.

Assuming that the stock alternator was good for about... 60 amps??? And assuming that a C3 in stock form would suck all of those 60 amps, we have a starting point.

So, let's say that your main concern is your subs and Neon lights and NOT your 164hp L48 mill. You decide that you want to mount two 15" long travel subs in the back of your Vette. And yes, they'll fit, mounted at an angle. And each of these subs are monsters and can handle a whopping 2,000 watts (not all that unlikely, I have three 15s in my room, purpose built and they can all handle 2,000 watts.) So now we need an amp that can put out 4,000 watts (RMS) at 13.8 volts that would be 4000/13.8 = 290... amps! Now we're going to go with an electric fan (not all that uncommon) and I think that Mark IV fan that everyone is in love with will suck ...40 amps??? So 60+290+40 = 390, throw some Neon bling under there and we're at 400amps and some OTT!

Admittedly, this would be one unusual C3. And I personally am running an aftermarket head unit and two electric fans on a stock alternator. In my highschool days before I cared about weight I actually had a 500 watt amp and a 12" sub in there. But still on the stock alternator.

With 140 amp alternators being fairly common, with some quick rough math once again, you'd need at least an... (140-60 = 80x13.8 = about 1100) 1100 watt RMS amp to suck up all of that, at least. And seeing as how most aftermarket amps have bullshit ratings (rated at MAX power which is ususally twice as high as the RMS output, or purely a bullshit number) you'd realistically need more than a "2200 watt amp " to suck up all that just one high output alternator could supply.

And yeah, clocking has nothing to do with dual alternators.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Think I'd stick with PayPal just for peace of mind. I wouldn't demand a COD or anything, but how hard is it to PayPal someone?

I'm just saying many feel somewhat comfortable dealing with a long time forum member. I have bought used stuff for the C3 and the C6 and used Paypal only because it was quicker and the seller could ship right away.
I don't have a roblem sending a MO to people I think i can trust. I have bought from Clutchdust and sent him a check/MO... no problems here...

Now ONE individual ruined it for all of us ...used to be able to trust guys on the forum... from now on better use Paypal with CC.....

BTW, Paypal "so called" buyer protection is limited to $200... they might have changed it to a reasonable amount since I had a problem... I bought on Ebay and the seller never shipped: contacted Paypal and they only refunded $200.... I was pissed to say the least, called Visa and got the entire amount back.... no idea what Paypal did after that, never heard from the seller either...

Old 12-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #178

"So, let's say that your main concern is your subs and Neon lights and NOT your 164hp L48 mill."

Oops...you lost me right there. One of the first things I did on my Vette to reduce weight after I tore out the AC and heater and power brake booster was to lose the radio and speakers. I swear the factory Vette AM/FM radio must weigh 25 pounds!!! And I will NOT be putting any music makers back in. If it was legal I would use a .30/06 on every illegal alien running around with boomboxes on wheels. But that's just me
If I want to listen to some nice hot rod tunes, I will pop my famous DJ Dep Hot Rod music CDROM into a nice home entertainment system and relax in my easy chair. I find it as incomprehensible spending a small fortune to listen to music in my car as I do those people who spend a couple of grand or more to get a laptop with a hi-res monitor to watch movies on. Why would you do that when you can watch it on a huge widescreen TV in your living room?????

I also removed anything else in the Vette that was dead weight. And my motor will NOT be some enemic Caprice taxicab motor. I will have an Accel alternator that can be turned off and on from a switch on the dashboard.
In short...my car will not a "PW".

Dep

Old 12-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #179
Power's off.

Let's start at the beginning:
An alternator should be rated at 125% of the rated load.
A 60 amp on an original C-3 was fine. Your headlights were the bulk load, with the heater blower/radio adding a touch.
The starter was the largest "momentary" load, with recharge of the battery in a few miles.
Hot start encounters were the primary reason for losing a charge too fast.

Now keep in mind, a 60 amp alternator puts out very little at idle, with the battery "filling" the need at these times.

With the advent of onboard computers added in the early 80's, the CS alternator was introduced to provide a more "filtered" output to compliment the needs of a computer.

The wattage of amps ,as you so point out, are usually rated in "peak" power, just to get persuasive numbers. Although an amp may be capable of peak output as stated, this is a rare occurence, and would never be attained at a constant output. A 2,000 watt amp would rarely see 1,000 watts output.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #180
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Dep View Post
"So, let's say that your main concern is your subs and Neon lights and NOT your 164hp L48 mill."

Oops...you lost me right there. One of the first things I did on my Vette to reduce weight after I tore out the AC and heater and power brake booster was to lose the radio and speakers. I swear the factory Vette AM/FM radio must weigh 25 pounds!!! And I will NOT be putting any music makers back in. If it was legal I would use a .30/06 on every illegal alien running around with boomboxes on wheels. But that's just me
If I want to listen to some nice hot rod tunes, I will pop my famous DJ Dep Hot Rod music CDROM into a nice home entertainment system and relax in my easy chair. I find it as incomprehensible spending a small fortune to listen to music in my car as I do those people who spend a couple of grand or more to get a laptop with a hi-res monitor to watch movies on. Why would you do that when you can watch it on a huge widescreen TV in your living room?????

I also removed anything else in the Vette that was dead weight. And my motor will NOT be some enemic Caprice taxicab motor. I will have an Accel alternator that can be turned off and on from a switch on the dashboard.
In short...my car will not a "PW".

Dep
Old Fart. He just asked a question. Your car is a track car only.