Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #71
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
Yah the Advan does bite hard.. I know of alot of track guys that use them.. not on SRTs really though.. and the NITTO tire is actually an option... do you know what the treadwear rating is? I'm going to go through at least 2 sets before I hit my HP goal.. probably before I even get close.

Would a 245 series tire fit a 8-8.5 wide rim without rolling over the sides too much??
I have the Nitto's as well and they're the best street tire I've owned. I've never liked the Goodyear F1's (stock tire) because they wear like crap. Anyway, the treadwear rating on the Nitto's is 300. Here is the tire in a 245/45/17. For the 225/45/17 it doesn't like like Nitto makes the 555, but they have two other normal tire options. Here is one (280 treadwear), and here is the other (260 treadwear).
Old 11-29-2008, 01:11 PM   #72
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Ugh, I'm bad at this. Can you fit a 225 on a 7.5" tire or what's the max? I can never remember. I think the Cobra rim is 17" by 9" and you can fit up to a 315 on?
Agreed.. I used tirerack for the longest time to determine the correct size tire for rim... if that ends up being the case those will need smaller tires.. i'm pretty sure I could even fit a 235 to be honest.. i have a 215 on my 6 inch wide rims... on a 7.5 i think a 235 could be fit and an 8.5 can fit a 245 very nicely w/o having too much over the edge

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #73
Boost Junkie

Quote:
I have the Nitto's as well and they're the best street tire I've owned. I've never liked the Goodyear F1's (stock tire) because they wear like crap. Anyway, the treadwear rating on the Nitto's is 300. Here is the tire in a 245/45/17. For the 225/45/17 it doesn't like like Nitto makes the 555, but they have two other normal tire options. Here is one (280 treadwear), and here is the other (260 treadwear).
I'll probably consult the SRTforums... damn gurus that they are. If a 245 could be fit correctly that'd be prefered but if it's going to roll to much it may not be the best idea. i'd even go with a 235/50/17 maybe

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 11-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #74
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yah the Advan does bite hard.. I know of alot of track guys that use them.. not on SRTs really though.. and the NITTO tire is actually an option... do you know what the treadwear rating is? I'm going to go through at least 2 sets before I hit my HP goal.. probably before I even get close.

Would a 245 series tire fit a 8-8.5 wide rim without rolling over the sides too much??
245 on an 8.5, so easy. 245 on an 8 would even be fine. You could probably get it on a 7.5 but it would buldge.

Let me know if you have trouble getting a shop to mount the tires. Lots of shops will cry nowadays if you ask them to put on a tire that is different at all from the factory size.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #75
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
I'll probably consult the SRTforums... damn gurus that they are. If a 245 could be fit correctly that'd be prefered but if it's going to roll to much it may not be the best idea. i'd even go with a 235/50/17 maybe
On the SRT forums they say you can run 245/40/17's with no problem. Lots of guys even appear to be doing it on the stock rim. It looks pretty clean actually. Here are pics (not stock rim, but the right size)

Old 11-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #76
Boost Junkie

Quote:
On the SRT forums they say you can run 245/40/17's with no problem. Lots of guys even appear to be doing it on the stock rim. It looks pretty clean actually. Here are pics (not stock rim, but the right size)

Yah that looks great.. I wonder if I can find a better offset, those are sticking out a tad much from the fender for my taste... I wish I had a picture of my friends SRT I don't know what size he's running but they are the best fitting rims/tires IMO.. I prefer to be a little lower than that guy right there and they would most certainly rub.

You can do it without any problems of course.. but that depends on your ride height!!! I couldn't have fit anything larger than 205s in my integra with the ride height I was at but if I rolled my fenders and raised it a little I could have run 215s-225s with no problem.

Hell I could throw on 275s with the right height and offset of the wheels! as long as it would clear the shock haha. it would look like ass though...

I wonder.. I might be doing some experimenting over the next year or so with tire size and offsets.

a 245 should NEVER be done on the stock rim IMO.. not unless you want to look and handle like your running drag radials all day.

now that i'm looking closer he's probably running spacers on the front... back looks OK

<guy in turbo eclipse>

Last edited by BlacknBoostn : 11-29-2008 at 01:37 PM. Reason: fixed
Old 11-29-2008, 01:41 PM   #77
Boost Junkie

Good examples of my preferred fitment:

This black one fits really well

I love the way this red one is set up, gorgeous

The way this black one has it's wheels and tires is my definition of PERFECT FITMENT. Nice huh???

Just a couple other prime examples of stance and tire size... That white one at the end makes me rethink my decision to own a black one... so tasty

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 11-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #78
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Good examples of my preferred fitment:

This black one fits really well

I love the way this red one is set up, gorgeous

The way this black one has it's wheels and tires is my definition of PERFECT FITMENT. Nice huh???

Just a couple other prime examples of stance and tire size... That white one at the end makes me rethink my decision to own a black one... so tasty

Those are all really nice examples. I actually think the yellow one is lowered too far though. Otherwise, I like the fit of all the examples you provided. The white SRT does look really nice, although I'm obviously partial
Old 11-29-2008, 11:42 PM   #79
Super Moderator

You may want to consider going with more offset in the front than in the back. To line up with the wheel well the back tires need to stick out a tad more. At least, that's what it looks like to me from memory. You should measure. Also, if you keep the front one tucked, it makes it much less likely to hit the fender lip.

I did this on the Vette. Although, my front's are tucked, not lined up.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #80
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
You may want to consider going with more offset in the front than in the back. To line up with the wheel well the back tires need to stick out a tad more. At least, that's what it looks like to me from memory. You should measure. Also, if you keep the front one tucked, it makes it much less likely to hit the fender lip.

I did this on the Vette. Although, my front's are tucked, not lined up.
Yah A higher offset would make it fit better... the tires pictured on the orange SRT you posted, I believe he's running spacers in the front. SRT owners are notorious for running front spacers... I don't know why only front would benefit... there should be no need for a staggered offset

<guy in turbo eclipse>