Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-19-2012, 12:27 PM   #71
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane View Post
I have a buddy with a 60's CJ with a 6.0. Fun toy to say the least.
It'd be a hoot, but mine is a 91, so no skirting smog inspection. I thought for sure there was a diesel Wrangler in the 90s at some point, but it seems maybe not in the States, so that could be bust for a swap.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't see how i'm "fantastically" wrong when I never mentioned a liberty. I still think its in the acceptable size area. We all have different definitions of measurement. I don't think 24" overall as being a huge difference. Others might as evidence of this thread.

And you're only partially correct about your turbo, its a borg warner turbo, which is a direct clone of garret turbos. I forgot that's what they run. So 3 different brands that are all nearly identical and used on a wide array of brands, when its STILL a fact that mercedes used Garret for many years and now uses a cheaper garret clone in current applications.
I think Ben said there was a 3 to 5 foot difference, and you said they were the same. I date girls that size, pretty substantial difference.

And the Tremec T56 is a clone of the Borg Warner T56, but you wouldnt correct someone who called it a Tremec 6 speed. Theres a mercedes logo on my turbo, its a mercedes turbo.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #73
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I think Ben said there was a 3 to 5 foot difference, and you said they were the same. I date girls that size, pretty substantial difference.

And the Tremec T56 is a clone of the Borg Warner T56, but you wouldnt correct someone who called it a Tremec 6 speed. Theres a mercedes logo on my turbo, its a mercedes turbo.
Fine i'm wrong about the size and yes I would correct someone who called it a tremec 6 speed being that the t56 isnt the only tremec six speed. Guess what, my garret turbo has a ford logo on it too. There's also a garret turbo and an allied sticker from the company who assembled the turbo. Same turbo will have an international logo on it if it came in the same truck. What's your point again?
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #74
Super Moderator

My point is that its a Mercedes turbo, show me something other than your flapping gums to make me believe otherwise.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #75
Super Moderator

Quote:
Fine i'm wrong...
Today... is a day... that will live in infamy.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #76
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Today... is a day... that will live in infamy.

Though he's right about OEM processes. Tons of parts are made by parts suppliers and then "branded" for the individual makes. The Japanese went even further sharing common R&D among otherwise competing brands to drive that cost down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garrett_AiResearch

Quote:
By 1962, Garrett was powering the world’s first turbocharged production car, the Oldsmobile Jetfire Rocket. This was followed by several other firsts, including the first turbocharged car to win the Indianapolis 500 (1968), the first turbo for a non sports car application (1977-Saab 99), the first mass production turbo for diesel engines (1978-Mercedes 300TD), and the first turbo to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans (1978-Renault)".
So Garret/Air Research was an OEM for Mercedes at one point for sure.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #77
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkeivette
My point is that its a Mercedes turbo, show me something other than your flapping gums to make me believe otherwise.
How's this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GE...89bee6&vxp=mtr
Hmmmm.
Oh look, another
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=2823
Wait, cant be.
http://www.idparts.com/catalog/produ...oducts_id=2823
ZOMG
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f18528e
Quote:
Hello,
I have a 2005 liberty CRD and it 90,000 miles on it. recently I have experienced smoking from the exhaust at idle. I replaced the pressure relief valve for the crankcase which is connected to the intake (preturbo). That did not solve my problem. I either have a turbo with bad seals or the engine is losing ring compression. After reading your message I am leaning more towards bad turbo. I have no warranty left so have gone on line to find a replacement turbo. The turbo is made by Garrett and I found one for $795.00 exchange. this is about 1200.00 less than the list at the dealer. What I am wondering is if anyone has experienced this oil burning smoke prior to finding out the turbo is bad or if I might have a larger problem in the engine.
Seems yours was offered with both a borg warner and a garret, probably cause, I dunno, they're identical.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:05 PM   #78
Super Moderator

Sorry to break your heart lover, but thats a different vehicle with a different engine. Mines a cherokee with a Turbo 6, not a Liberty with the 4
Old 11-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #79
Super Moderator

Ya I googled pics of a Liberty turbo and it says Garret right on there. Mine doesnt. But either way its kind of a moot point that youre making.

If Garret is manufacturing turbos for Mercedes theyre making them to the Mercedes engineers specs, and if theyre manufacturing for Ford theyre following the Ford engineers specs. I know because I worked for a company that sent out designs to China and Brazil, a lot of what the Chinese manufacturer made was crap... but when they made shit to our specs and got it right after the 10th time it was good. Because it was our design.

Im sure Ben knows what Im talking about.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #80
I, Vettezuki

OEMs range from being given specs and even told how to make things to manufacturers using existing parts off the shelf as is. It's a full spectrum. My guess in the case of Mercedes and Garret, it's closer to the later, but with some tweaks beyond branding (maybe just specking higher grade bearings, slightly different vein geometry to match their engines more precisely, etc.). The main issue for a premium brand is creating the image of exclusivity and to a certain degree, they have to deliver on it at least a little. So how much of the turbo on the Cherokee is Mercede's and how much Garret? I don't know. It doesn't have to be 100% of one or the other. My guess though is that it's more Garret than Mercedes.

The fascinating bit is the philosophical question and how we relate, compare, and categorize differences among complex sets of variables. But that's a mighty different thread!

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)