Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #71
Fast & Filthy

I got the engine harness out of the '95 and found that the pins are different on the dash harnesses. So I pulled the dash harness out of the '97 and I'm comparing it to the one in the '95. The '97 has a lot more options on it so it has more connectors but I think I'm going to be able to use the one that's in the '95 and just add the OBDII connector along with a few additional things that it needs for the OBDII. Last night I traced the wiring that goes back to the fuel pump/rear ABS/EVAP canister purge valve.

Here are some various pictures.

4.0 engine harness.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #72
Fast & Filthy

I was able to get some work done on the wiring harness today before it started raining. It was actually well timed because I had things to take my kids to and forgot about them. Luckily the rain made it so I was on time. Anyways, I traced down some of the wires that I don't have in the '95 that are in the '97 dash harness and moved them into the '95 dash harness. I was tracing the wires for the OBDII connector that is under the dash when I dicided to quit before it started to rain. Once I trace down all those I'll move them over to the '95. Here are a few pictures of the mess.

These are the wires that I had to add. I just added the wire to the factory connectors so that it was clean. These wires go under the drivers seat and then back to the fuel pump/EVAP purge/fuel tank pressure. There was one more wire that I connected but it is on the top side of the grey connector behind all the wires in the picture.

Old 10-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #73
Fast & Filthy

I got a little more done today after I prepped the Cobra for the autocross tomorrow. I was able to pull all the needed wires from the OBDII connector and install them in my harness. It turned out that I only needed to add three wires because my truck has an OBDII connector under the dash and it had 4 of the 7 already. They were in a different location than they were on the '97 so I moved those as well. Here's what the connector looks like and the dash harness that I had to trace them in.

This is where I had to add the three to match the engine harness.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #74
Fast & Filthy

I got a little more done on the truck. First, I dropped the tank on mine, pulled the fuel pump and drained it. Then I removed the bracket for the EVAP canisters. I didn't want to use the one off Eric's because it was rusted so I modified mine to fit the canister off his.

Here's mine after I cut it in half.

Here's the one off Eric's. As you can see the bracket is terrible.

This is what mine looked like after modifying it. I cut the end off the side I wasn't going to use and welded it on to the end of the side I used because I needed the canister rotated 90 degrees.

After I reinstalled my EVAP bracket I removed the old wiring harness for the fuel tank/ABS sensor and installed the one from Eric's truck because it had the extra wiring for the EVAP canister and fuel tank pressure sensor. After that I moved to the inside and started cutting/splicing the old harness with the new one.

I finished splicing in all the wires that I had in my old harness. Next up is to splice in the new ones that I had to add to my dash harness.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #75
Graphics B*tch

Looking good Ron. I just can not believe that you are doing this. I do not think I would even want to try and do what you are doing.

'13 Ford Fusion SE (2.0L EcoBoost)(Conor)

'03 Zinc Yellow Mach 1(Yazmine)
290HP / 305TQ
1/4 mile ET: 13.28 @ 101MPH (1.867 60')

'99 White F-150 (4.6L)(Bud Jr.)-gone but never forgotten
Old 11-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #76
Fast & Filthy

I wasn't really nervous about this conversion. I was when I cut the front end off to do the solid axle swap but not with this. I had a complete V8 Explorer so I knew if worse came to worse I could just move everything over. Plus if I did run into something computer wise that I couldn't figure out I have Phil. There isn't anything that he wouldn't be able to help me with. So far I've been able to figure out all the wiring and it looks more complicated than it is.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #77
pain's fun, hit me again

I dont want to try that, i cant even see the colors
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!
Old 11-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #78
Fast & Filthy

I got some more done today and tried to take a lot of pictures. Nomally i'm so busy that I just don't get to them but I did today. So I started by installing the harness that I spliced together yesterday and then spliced the remaining wires into the harness.

Here is the harness installed, it goes through the floor and down the frame to the back of the truck.

Here are the remaining wires that needed to be spliced together.

I tried to make it look as clean as possible.

Then I spliced them together and finished tucking them away.

After that I moved to the engine harness. Here's the one from the V8 that going in my truck.

And here's my empty engine bay.

I started with switching the computer over.

Then I dropped the V8 harness in. Doesn't that look fun?

Kylie wasn't much of a help today.

And here's some of it done. I still have a lot more to do but soon I'll be ready to see if the engine is going to clear my steering box.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #79
Fast & Filthy

I finished running the engine harness today and then picked up some new motor mount and dropped the engine in.

That looks better.

Here's how the steering box looks in relation to the oil filter location. I think I'll be okay with a remote mount filter. I'll order one from Summit and see.

I still have a ton to do but I'm realy excited to have the engine in the truck.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #80
Fast & Filthy

I was going to install the trans today and started with instlling the flexplate and filling the converter up with ATF. However, while doing the remote oil filter kit arrived. So I held off installing the trans so I could check and make sure there was going to be enough room for the adapter plate. Unfortunately there isn't enough room to install the lines with the adapter plate on the engine. So I pulled the flexplate back off and pulled the engine again.

It's sad to be back on the stand.

I've decided what I'm going to try is to notch the frame to and move the steering box away from the engine some. Here's what I did so far.

The bracket in the old position.

The hole in the frame.

The piece I removed.

I'll reinforce the inside of the frame before I weld the bracket back in and I think with a couple 90 degree fittings that I'll have enough room to clear it.