Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 08-17-2009, 09:19 PM   #71
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
If I had to do this all over again I could do it in a weekend or two, even on a different motor. I now have an understanding of all of the adjustments and how they overlap.

BTW, Lars mentioned that jets and HSABs do not affect cruise and idle AFR, but what he forgot to mention was that they do affect part throttle acceleration (which is what you're doing 50% of the time). So they do overlap.

Most carb tuners out there would be happy with a 12-14:1 AFR everywhere. I'm being ridiculously picky trying to get a 14.7 cruise/ idle, a 13:1 part throttle AFR and a 12:1 WOT at all rpm. Like I said, I could have left my jet combo alone weeks ago and the motor would have run well but at 7 mpg. I'm hoping for 25 on the highway and 17ish in the city.

The folks on Vettemod seem to be mad at me because I talked back to Lars. They seem to be mad that I made a giant leap rather than tuning slowly and gradually. The reality is that I made the leap after careful research and I was dead on with my guess on the HSABs. My WOT AFR curve did not get messed up with the smaller bleeds and I'm a few jet sizes away from a perfect 12:1. Lars argued that he has never seen a carb that needed such a drastic change in HSAB size, but I have. 3 or 4 people with Demons on the Innovate forum. Sure I could buy several tuning kits for a couple hundred bucks and go back and do it 'the right way' but the reality is that AFR is AFR, and my fuel curve is looking good. So I don't care what anyone says, my tire smoke and good gas mileage speaks for itself.

I'll get started on that thread Ben. Feel free to help out CobraSS.

My assumption is that it's not magic. Through your experience you must be able to derive a documentable "from scratch" optimal process; this is my interest. Be sure to include any points that you would do differently if money were no object (reasonably, you know what I mean ).

You guys will get to tune our carb in concert with bird setting up the dizzy for the project car, a pull through blower setup. I'll setup a dyno day and we'll do it in a day, so you'll need to specifiy ALL the things you'd like to have on hand at that time (long from now). Do you have any reservations about it being a vacuum secondary?

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-18-2009, 03:44 AM   #72
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
My assumption is that it's not magic. Through your experience you must be able to derive a documentable "from scratch" optimal process; this is my interest. Be sure to include any points that you would do differently if money were no object (reasonably, you know what I mean ).

You guys will get to tune our carb in concert with bird setting up the dizzy for the project car, a pull through blower setup. I'll setup a dyno day and we'll do it in a day, so you'll need to specifiy ALL the things you'd like to have on hand at that time (long from now). Do you have any reservations about it being a vacuum secondary?
Yes, vacuum secondaries are stupid. Go mechanical.

Also, if you don't care about the idle/ cruise AFR on the Snake, we can set it up in prob a day. And we'll know exactly what the AFR is before we send it to the dyno.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #73
Power's off.

Generally speaking, on a N/A engine, mech secondaries for a stick, and vacuum secondaries for a slushbox.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #74
Neanderthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Generally speaking, on a N/A engine, mech secondaries for a stick, and vacuum secondaries for a slushbox.
good point.

Hey, got a voice mail from you, but it's mostly static.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #75
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me.

Adam, look for an e-mail from me.
Every time I have help tune a car. The first step was to get hte car drivable so it could be run with a limited degree of safety on the Dyno. The the WOT was dialed in on the Dyno. Then the part throttle maps were adjusted to increase drivability.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #76
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post

Here is my Carb tuning input:
Step 1) unbolt carb
Step 2) Have intake manifold drilled for fuel injectors and milled for throttle body
Step 3) connect laptop and start typing
Old 08-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #77
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDASSC6 View Post
Here is my Carb tuning input:
Step 1) unbolt carb
Step 2) Have intake manifold drilled for fuel injectors and milled for throttle body
Step 3) connect laptop and start typing
That's the first damn thing I've truly understood.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #78
Super Moderator

I'd like to see FI & an FI Procharger kit on my motor for the same price as my Demon and my Procharger.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 PM   #79
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
I'd like to see FI & an FI Procharger kit on my motor for the same price as my Demon and my Procharger.
I'm not concerned with such pedestrian issues.

Out of curiosity what's the price differential between your carbed setup and big_G's FI?

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #80
Super Moderator

Big G runs a Holley last time I checked.