Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 11-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #61

As i recall, in California the engine number has to correspond to a more recent build date that the frame of the car. If not it won't be smog legal from what I have read. That's why you can go put an LS 1 in a 66 chevelle but you can put the 66 chevelle motor in the vette you took the LS1 out of

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #62
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryridesmotox View Post
As i recall, in California the engine number has to correspond to a more recent build date that the frame of the car. If not it won't be smog legal from what I have read. That's why you can go put an LS 1 in a 66 chevelle but you can put the 66 chevelle motor in the vette you took the LS1 out of
I've done a swap before, I have an LS in my 82 Vette. That's sort of the starting point, but there's more to it than that and so many grey areas of referee interpretation it gets difficult. The other part is engine and chassis class. For example I can't put a Dodge Cummins I6 in my Wrangler because it never had any engine remotely like it. I could put a Hemi V8 in it, but I'm not sure if any Wrangler in the states ever had a diesel like the Jeep Liberty did and that's where it get tricky because you're basically calling the car by a new car type. For example, my Vette is now considered a 2001 F-Body, it was ok because the engine was an SBC like most Vettes and it was newer than the original.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #63

Yep, just another example of a government being over powered. It shouldn't matter what engine one has as long as it passes smog for that engine type. I hate this state more and more everyday. I want to move to Idaho or maybe back to Oregon. Put a diesel in whatever you pick and put no soot traps or mufflers. When you see a Prius with the window rolled down, or someone with an Obama sticker, or a Boxer, Einstein, or other d-bag politician; roll 10 lbs of coal into their front seat. I miss doing that with my old suburban. Those morons support the kind of communist legislation that puts the handcuffs on everyone. I should be able to do what I want, when I want on my own property as long as it doesn't negatively effect my neighbors... like making a method lab or something.

The Race Car lol: 2004 Cadillac CTS-V... With things.

Better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #64
Super Moderator

Ya well the Benz diesel is a commercial engine, comes from those fleet trucks that Fed Ex uses. Plus the mercedes turbos last forever.

Powerstroke turbos not so much.

And by mobile home I meant mobile home, not motor home. Haha, Im sure I could tow a motorhome.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:04 PM   #65
Super Moderator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gOcJmpEeqI&sns=em
Old 11-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #66
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Ya well the Benz diesel is a commercial engine, comes from those fleet trucks that Fed Ex uses. Plus the mercedes turbos last forever.

Powerstroke turbos not so much.

And by mobile home I meant mobile home, not motor home. Haha, Im sure I could tow a motorhome.
There are a few powerstroke engines, dont forget that. My reference of powerstrokes is to the 7.3l which is the only one to have proven itself so far. My first turbo lasted 180k until I did the manual wastegate conversion and pushed it to 40psi. The acceptable range is 28-30. After blowing up the 08, i'm back to the 7.3l. For good reason too.

FWIW alot of the mercedes use garret turbos. Or rajay turbos, which are still garret. Same as the powerstrokes, and many other OE's.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 11-19-2012, 11:32 AM   #67
Super Moderator

Wow it looks like there were 2 pages between my response and my last read.

Guy, my turbo has a pretty lil silver star on it, and thats hard to believe.

Also, you were fantastically wrong about short F-150s being close in length to Libertys. Ben even proved you wrong with actual specs and you sill refused to admit it.

Ben, the libertys use a turbo 4cyl diesel. Different engine, but still very good. In fact I think they get close to 30mpg, and you can find those cheap since Libertys are girl cars.

I dont know much about running biodiesel. I used to run B20 in SD. I think some 2007 and later vehicles have issues with anything over B20. Youre supposed to change your fuel seals to teflon.

And I also remember reading that the Duramax diesels cant run black diesel because of a translucent sensor. But it doesnt sound like youre trying to run black diesel anyways.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #68
I, Vettezuki

Yeah, guess the Liberty diesel is an Italian job of some sort. Anyway, there really aren't terrible modern engines, they just won't be accepted by the market.

Biodiesel has some gnarly solvent properties that just softens the shit out of everything and makes them turn to goo, but at least teflon turns this into a non-issue. Guy is right about that.

I think that road is going to be ok except for when it's really raining, and on those days I can just take my wife in the Wrangler. We'll see how it goes. If it turns into a headache, probably just sell the Miata and get a Juke! It's adorable.

I'm going to be selling my truck anyway, and if the Protege doesn't cut it I'll sell that too, then get something like a diesel Liberty (I'm a princess) or if legally possible in CA, maybe do a diesel swap to my Wrangler. But I'm not sure there were ever any diesel Wranglers in the States, so that may not fly.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 11-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #69
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Wow it looks like there were 2 pages between my response and my last read.

Guy, my turbo has a pretty lil silver star on it, and thats hard to believe.

Also, you were fantastically wrong about short F-150s being close in length to Libertys. Ben even proved you wrong with actual specs and you sill refused to admit it.

Ben, the libertys use a turbo 4cyl diesel. Different engine, but still very good. In fact I think they get close to 30mpg, and you can find those cheap since Libertys are girl cars.

I dont know much about running biodiesel. I used to run B20 in SD. I think some 2007 and later vehicles have issues with anything over B20. Youre supposed to change your fuel seals to teflon.

And I also remember reading that the Duramax diesels cant run black diesel because of a translucent sensor. But it doesnt sound like youre trying to run black diesel anyways.
I don't see how i'm "fantastically" wrong when I never mentioned a liberty. I still think its in the acceptable size area. We all have different definitions of measurement. I don't think 24" overall as being a huge difference. Others might as evidence of this thread.

And you're only partially correct about your turbo, its a borg warner turbo, which is a direct clone of garret turbos. I forgot that's what they run. So 3 different brands that are all nearly identical and used on a wide array of brands, when its STILL a fact that mercedes used Garret for many years and now uses a cheaper garret clone in current applications.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

Stopping the world!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #70
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Yeah, guess the Liberty diesel is an Italian job of some sort. Anyway, there really aren't terrible modern engines, they just won't be accepted by the market.

Biodiesel has some gnarly solvent properties that just softens the shit out of everything and makes them turn to goo, but at least teflon turns this into a non-issue. Guy is right about that.

I think that road is going to be ok except for when it's really raining, and on those days I can just take my wife in the Wrangler. We'll see how it goes. If it turns into a headache, probably just sell the Miata and get a Juke! It's adorable.

I'm going to be selling my truck anyway, and if the Protege doesn't cut it I'll sell that too, then get something like a diesel Liberty (I'm a princess) or if legally possible in CA, maybe do a diesel swap to my Wrangler. But I'm not sure there were ever any diesel Wranglers in the States, so that may not fly.
I have a buddy with a 60's CJ with a 6.0. Fun toy to say the least.

Stopping the world!