Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #61
Power's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Sent you a PM, yeah do the 10 bushing if you can. I can wait.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #62
Super Moderator

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by big2bird View Post
Why would the dist. guru bow to me?! I bow to you!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #63
Power's off.

Quote:
Why would the dist. guru bow to me?! I bow to you!
Because your wish is my command. Besides, your car beats my car.
Now, for an update, Lars recommends using a boost retard to pull the timing back to 24* under boost.

I am going to have a 8*, 10*, and 12* bushing made.

See also additional info at VM .
Old 07-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #64
Super Moderator

Lars has more money than me. After buying that new ring set and the new piston, I'm tapped out. No new toys till I get out of school. An intercooler would be a much better fix, and when cash permits I will cool my big blow dryer.

Bird, you are my hero.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:12 AM   #65
Neanderthal

Quote:
Lars has more money than me. After buying that new ring set and the new piston, I'm tapped out. No new toys till I get out of school. An intercooler would be a much better fix, and when cash permits I will cool my big blow dryer.

Bird, you are my hero.
Bird, is everybody's HERO.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM   #66
Super Moderator

Made my first WOT pass... where oh where did my horsepower go, oh where oh where did it go? I think it left with my 34 degrees of timing. Don't think I can live with 24, I need to install the 10 degree bushing for 28 total and take someone with a ping sensitive ear on a ride with me.

Found a cheap way to tune my cruise, bought a .073/ .076/ .078 drill bit and I drilled my left over .028 air bleeds out to .073 (stock is .07) my cruise is better, around 14.2:1 but my idle has a difficult time staying stable. I think I need to take the bleeds up to .076 at least, then open up the idle mixture screws. I think it will idle happy that way.

At WOT it seemed to jump up to 14:1 again, which is odd, it moves so fast it's hard to tell what's noise and what's a legit reading. I need to sample only the WOT period so I can get a wider sample.

I want to install the 75 primary jets but I'm worried my part throttle acceleration will get too fat, it's already about 13:1. But hopefully the larger IABs will somewhat counteract the problem.

I'll report back tonight.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #67
Super Moderator

Combo 75/84 jets drilled the IABs out to .076 and the cruise is about the same after turning the idle mixture screws out a tad to bring the idle back to stoich. WOT is about 13:1 now. Going to jet up the secondary side to 86.

The idle still gets somewhat angry. I'm going to go ahead and drill the bleeds out to .078 and retune, I can see the light.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM   #68
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Combo 75/84 jets drilled the IABs out to .076 and the cruise is about the same after turning the idle mixture screws out a tad to bring the idle back to stoich. WOT is about 13:1 now. Going to jet up the secondary side to 86.

The idle still gets somewhat angry. I'm going to go ahead and drill the bleeds out to .078 and retune, I can see the light.

When you're done with this whole thing and have what you want write down what you would recommend as a comprehensive procedure starting from scratch; IR Curious.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #69
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
When you're done with this whole thing and have what you want write down what you would recommend as a comprehensive procedure starting from scratch; IR Curious.
If I had to do this all over again I could do it in a weekend or two, even on a different motor. I now have an understanding of all of the adjustments and how they overlap.

BTW, Lars mentioned that jets and HSABs do not affect cruise and idle AFR, but what he forgot to mention was that they do affect part throttle acceleration (which is what you're doing 50% of the time). So they do overlap.

Most carb tuners out there would be happy with a 12-14:1 AFR everywhere. I'm being ridiculously picky trying to get a 14.7 cruise/ idle, a 13:1 part throttle AFR and a 12:1 WOT at all rpm. Like I said, I could have left my jet combo alone weeks ago and the motor would have run well but at 7 mpg. I'm hoping for 25 on the highway and 17ish in the city.

The folks on Vettemod seem to be mad at me because I talked back to Lars. They seem to be mad that I made a giant leap rather than tuning slowly and gradually. The reality is that I made the leap after careful research and I was dead on with my guess on the HSABs. My WOT AFR curve did not get messed up with the smaller bleeds and I'm a few jet sizes away from a perfect 12:1. Lars argued that he has never seen a carb that needed such a drastic change in HSAB size, but I have. 3 or 4 people with Demons on the Innovate forum. Sure I could buy several tuning kits for a couple hundred bucks and go back and do it 'the right way' but the reality is that AFR is AFR, and my fuel curve is looking good. So I don't care what anyone says, my tire smoke and good gas mileage speaks for itself.

I'll get started on that thread Ben. Feel free to help out CobraSS.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #70
Fast & Filthy

Don't worry what other people say. You did it yourself and look how much you learned and how close you are to the AFR you set out to get. I've done a ton of tuning on my Chevelle and I couldn't tell you what the AFR is at cruise. I don't have the slightest idea. All I know is that at WOT it's where I want it and that's just because I ran it on a dyno. Hell, you know more about tuning the carb than I do now.