Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #51
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedls View Post
Why don't you race him hairy ass?

I'll race any street car with street tires that fills up with 91 octane, using my street car on street tires filled only with 91 octane. What are you guys trying to prove? That a purpose built drag car filled with race gas can beat my street only car? Point taken, I agree.

If you guys are crying about the numbers I'm claiming, I'll see you at Sean's dyno day. With possibly only a measly 500whp.

Btw, now would be a good time to understand the meaning behind my sig.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #52

See, that's where we are different. I would race him and when I lose , my penis will be none the smaller for it. I recognize his car is badass and don't have to puff up my chest and talk about what I could do if..blah, blah, blah. I recognize that his car is faster. You seem to have a problem doing that without a lot of kicking and screaming.

You ask what "you guys" are trying to prove? I don't know who "you guys" are, but I'm assuming I'm part of the "you guys" you were referring to. I wasn't trying to prove anything. I was trying to get you to step up and actually go down the track instead of bench race. I would actually be interested in watching that race.

As far as your HP numbers, I wasn't crying about the numbers you claimed. I was just pointing out the flaw in the logic you were using. If you want to walk around in fanasyland believing that 1 bar of boost will double your power, hey, go right ahead.

And I have always understood the meaning of your sig, just don't understand why that would be a goal. I can't imagine wanting a car to be the fastest car, just to lose a race. In fact when my car was running 13s @ 111, I tried to figure out how to get my E.T. more in line with my trap speed. I still am working on that now that my trap speed is closer to 120.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 10-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #53
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Why don't you race him hairy ass?

I'll race any street car with street tires that fills up with 91 octane, using my street car on street tires filled only with 91 octane. What are you guys trying to prove? That a purpose built drag car filled with race gas can beat my street only car? Point taken, I agree.

If you guys are crying about the numbers I'm claiming, I'll see you at Sean's dyno day. With possibly only a measly 500whp.

Btw, now would be a good time to understand the meaning behind my sig.
Okay, make sure you come out on Oct 31 and you can race my buddy in his TT GTO. He made 550rwhp on 91 but is only running 12's with it. He either spins out of the whole or the turbos lag. I'm not even sure how you and I racing even got brought up but I'm only bringing out the Chevelle so no one will be racing my Cobra.

Like Joe said, our dispute was with the claimed doubled HP with 1 bar.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #54
Fast & Filthy

Oh and you and Carlos keep insisting that the Chevelle is a purpose built drag car but it's not. It has the stock suspension for crying out loud! Are you guys saying that when Chevrolet designed and built my car in 1969 they did it to be a drag car? It has short/stiff BB springs in the front. If it was built specifically for drag racing I would have longer/softer rate front springs that would transfer the weight. Not stiff ones.

Would you say that installing a set road race slicks on a stock suspension Corvette automatically makes it a purpose built road racer? That's what you are saying about the Chevelle. Carlos, you should know that the suspension makes the car. I have stock suspension. Not to mention a tight converter and tall gears (4.56 would be a quicker gear). My Chevelle could be a lot faster than it is if I designed the suspension for all out drag racing. Not that I won't but I haven't yet.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #55

Ron, how much weight do you think came out of the Chevelle when you stripped the interior? Any more than 200 lbs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HP numbers are good and all, but they are like asking someone how much they can bench. What difference does it make if I can still kick your ass?
Old 10-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #56
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Oh and you and Carlos keep insisting that the Chevelle is a purpose built drag car but it's not. It has the stock suspension for crying out loud! Are you guys saying that when Chevrolet designed and built my car in 1969 they did it to be a drag car? It has short/stiff BB springs in the front. If it was built specifically for drag racing I would have longer/softer rate front springs that would transfer the weight. Not stiff ones.

Would you say that installing a set road race slicks on a stock suspension Corvette automatically makes it a purpose built road racer? That's what you are saying about the Chevelle. Carlos, you should know that the suspension makes the car. I have stock suspension. Not to mention a tight converter and tall gears (4.56 would be a quicker gear). My Chevelle could be a lot faster than it is if I designed the suspension for all out drag racing. Not that I won't but I haven't yet.
I know where they're coming from. The Chevelle is a long way away from a pure street car: hi-comp BBC, NO2, Slicks is not a street car. Is it for road racing? Obviously not. What are those mods for? Straight line speed. But I'm ultimatey on your side. It's not a yes/no thing, but a spectrum, and for the most part you're still closer to a street car than to a true modern purpose built drag car IMO.

Motorgen on

Motorgen Project Car
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 10-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #57
Super Moderator

Ummm...

Quote:
I recognize that his car is faster. You seem to have a problem doing that without a lot of kicking and screaming.
Quote:
Second of all, I said several times that I think I would lose to CobraSS for several reasons...

Quote:
And I have always understood the meaning of your sig, just don't understand why that would be a goal.
Quote:
Her job is to be able to punish a C6 on the freeway from a roll and look good as I drive the gf around on the weekends.

Quote:
Okay, make sure you come out on Oct 31 and you can race my buddy in his TT GTO.
Quote:
Let me set out my calendar right now so no one calls me a coward if I can't show.

I have midterms and won't be back in oc till after the 18th. Then I'll be in SD Halloween weekend for a party.

After that I should be free for a while till finals.
Quote:
Like Joe said, our dispute was with the claimed doubled HP with 1 bar.
I know, I get it. You guys estimate 550whp (662hp). So you're predicting about 40hp less than 700hp... Ok, I'll take your word for it. I would be ecstatic if she pulls anything over 500whp. Like I said, just got excited about what others were saying. Never tried to contest anything, never tried to say I'd beat you in a race for the 3rd time now. Everything is cool, I agree with you guys on these issues.

As far as your car being a drag only car, yes I know it's not tubbed with skinnies and the susp isn't an expensive drag only setup... but c'mon... you put race gas in it. When you cross that bridge it's no longer a street car, whatever it is.

Dial back your timing like I had to, fill her with 91 and lets go. I'm game. I still prob won't win, but it would at least be a level playing field.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #58
Internet Tough Guy

Quote:

I know what a difference suspension and a proper drivetrain can make. My point is that the mod that you have done to your car all work towards 1/4 drag racing. I started in on the same note that I didn't think that the horsepower estimates were correct.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:04 PM   #59

Quote:
I know, I get it. You guys estimate 550whp (662hp). So you're predicting about 40hp less than 700hp... Ok, I'll take your word for it. I would be ecstatic if she pulls anything over 500whp. Like I said, just got excited about what others were saying. Never tried to contest anything, never tried to say I'd beat you in a race for the 3rd time now. Everything is cool, I agree with you guys on these issues.

As far as your car being a drag only car, yes I know it's not tubbed with skinnies and the susp isn't an expensive drag only setup... but c'mon... you put race gas in it. When you cross that bridge it's no longer a street car, whatever it is.

Dial back your timing like I had to, fill her with 91 and lets go. I'm game. I still prob won't win, but it would at least be a level playing field.
Everytime you said Ron's car would beat you, it had some excuse or disclaimer attached to it. That was my point. Even here you keep pointing out what it would take to level the playing field. You want to be known as the baddest car on the street, more power to you. I'd rather take it to the track. Why would he de-tune his car to compete with you? My guess is that he has nothing to prove. He can point to his timeslips. Can you?

Oh, BTW, I never estimated how much HP you car makes. I was merely pointing out the misinformation you were given. I don't really care about how much HP your car makes. If you can't use all that HP, what difference does it make? I wanna know how well the car works to get down the 1/4 mile, or how quickly it can do a lap around a racetrack or roadcourse.

In closing, I do have a hairy ass. I know that's not popular with you young'uns nowadays. But I ain't shaving it, waxing it, or whatever the hell else you guys do.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 PM   #60
Fast & Filthy

Quote:

When I built the 454 I planned to have 11:1 compression so I could dial back the timing to run on pump gas. Unfortunately my old heads were cracked and I had to buy new ones. These Edelbrock heads have a smaller combustion chamber so I ended up with 12.25:1. I tried to pull timing and run it on 91 but it won't. Trust me I wish I could run it on 91 instead of $8.00 a gallon race fuel. On the other hand just because it runs race fuel doesn't mean it's built for drag racing. Look at the Cobra. I have to run it on 100 octane at the track. What about Ben's Vette? Is it no longer a street car because he has to add Torco to it or it pings on 91?

Joe to answer your question about the weight i would say about 200 is correct. Car Craft just did an article on removing weight on a '66 Chevelle and they removed 289lbs and I didn't do as much as they did.

Ben, I don't run the Chevelle on the slicks all the time. Just like you with your Vette and me with the Cobra I have two sets of rims and tires. I have slicks that I use when I race and I have DOT tires for the street. Also, the N2O is just a power adder just like a supercharger. Does the Vortech on the Cobra and Cambria make them drag cars? You also talk about the BBC like it is only made for drag racing. You guys do realize that back in the day they installed big blocks in cars? When Leedom's dad drops the BBF in the Mach 1 does that automatically make it a drag car? I'm sure he'll still be running the stock suspension just like I am on the Chevelle. What if he pulls out the interior to restore the car and then runs out of money. If he just throws a seat in it so he can drive it does that make it a drag car?

With the exception of installing new upper and lower rear control arms the suspension on my Chevelle has been unchanged since 1992 and it was my daily driver up until around 1997. Even the 90/10 shocks in the front weren't installed for drag racing. I installed those because it helped keep the front of my car from bottoming out over bumps.