Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 AM   #51
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
No I just read over you post so fast that the second part where you said something something 60mph... I confused it. Can you try to merge your posts? Makes it easier for me considering all the B.S. that I'm forced to sort through.

And the dept of energy doesn't disagree with me, they said MOST cars. K Sean, listen to me! READ THIS PLEASE:

It was on the second page. I said MOST, V8 cars and trucks. See that? Most? And V8? K? The dept of Energy did not specify anything about MOST, V8!!! cars and trucks, did they?

So you've still proven nothing... Well at least you're trying. But please read the thread posts before you form your next argument.
Oh, so now we're only talking about V8 cars and trucks, how convenient. You're still wrong anyway - your dad's Avalanche will easily shift into OD at 55mph. See, I can do it too. At least you've found the magic sweet spot of 90mph in yours to waste the least amount of gas possible
Old 07-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #52
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
Oh, so now we're only talking about V8 cars and trucks, how convenient. You're still wrong anyway - your dad's Avalanche will easily shift into OD at 55mph. See, I can do it too. At least you've found the magic sweet spot of 90mph in yours to waste the least amount of gas possible
That was on the second page you nimrod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ, BEFORE YOU POST! Oh my God.

Goodnight Sean.

Here's my new sig by the way, awesome quote. HI LAR IOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
First of all, if you're just CRUISING on the freeway, 55mph at 1177 rpm would be JUST FINE.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #53
Resident Avatar Gambler

If you're just cruising, it would be fine - I don't know why that is so hard for you to understand. Let me give you a brief overview of some other responses:

Quote:
Originally posted by Clint Eastwood
It depends on the vehicle for sure. I'd say most average cars do best at around 55 and there's NFW that 90mph would achieve the best mileage in any vehicle. And BTW, from a financial standpoint, my thought is if I can get there faster, a couple MPG is worth it.
Quote:
Originally posted by NHRATA01
Obviously in general, the faster you go above ~50ish, the worse your mileage is going to get as wind drag rises at an exponential rate. Granted, you could take an aerodynamically efficient car, like a Vette, and depending on the torque curve of the motor and gearing, it may do better at 65-70 than 55. But as said, NFW that it gets better mileage at 90 than 55. The effects of frictional forces simply dictate it isn't possible. On your average sedan, and certainly your average SUV or truck, the closest to 50 you go, the better your mileage will be.

Oh, and I changed my sig too. Anything I have said PALES in comparison to your affirmation that your car achieves its best mileage at 90 mph - that's classic
Old 07-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #54
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
That was on the second page you nimrod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! READ, BEFORE YOU POST! Oh my God.

Goodnight Sean.

Here's my new sig by the way, awesome quote. HI LAR IOUS
Oh, and you'd still be wrong. Tahoe's, Avalanche's, etc would all get better mileage at 55mph than higher speeds. Because of the increased weight and aerodynamic inefficiency associated with SUV's, they're more affected as speeds go up than smaller vehicles. Yes, that includes V8 powered vehicles
Old 07-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #55
Super Moderator

Wow, very original Sean. And to think I called you a 12 year old.

I think this thread has run it's course. You're right, 55mph is the magic number for all. Can we be friends again?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:49 AM   #56
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Wow, very original Sean. And to think I called you a 12 year old.

I think this thread has run it's course. You're right, 55mph is the magic number for all. Can we be friends again?
Oh, so it's only okay if you do it. When you do it, it's not immature - it's clever. When I do it, I'm a 12 year old. I love the way you debate If you want to call it over, that's fine - it was actually kind of fun debating you. You're like me - neither one of us will let it go.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #57
Super Moderator

No no, it's just that I expected more from the great Sean Plunk than to copy my idea as punishment.

Yeah it was fun, up until a few pages ago.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 AM   #58
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
No no, it's just that I expected more from the great Sean Plunk than to copy my idea as punishment.

Yeah it was fun, up until a few pages ago.
Are you coming on our cruise you bastard - I miss seeing your ugly mug
Old 07-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #59
Super Moderator

Still not sure if I can make it. I need to make up my mind about law school by... last Friday. I was supposed to move in Friday.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #60
Neanderthal

Quote:
No. If you lug hard enough you'll actually tip into the boost, well I will. Same goes for my mom's SRT.

What the other Adam is trying to get across is that an Avalanche (being a heavier car with more wind resistance) will have more load on the engine at the same speed/ rpm. And therefore be more likely to downshift and/or make less vacuum.

BTW I checked with my Mercedes Tech friend, and yes a vacuum reading is used to determine mpg. Once again more vacuum, more efficient.

Also, noticed that my friends Jeep Grand Cherokee 4L I6 Auto will downshift trying to maintain speed at 55mph on the 15 freeway going up a slight grade.

C6 Standard Equip:

3.42 Diff
T56 .5 OD (6th)
285 35 19 = 26.85"

1177rpm @ 55mph Do I even need to say anything? C'mon.

Highest Vacuum with the lowest possible RPM= Highest MPG.
2016 Nissan Altma