Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Nope, intake manifold leak would cause low vacuum. As your piston goes down it draws air in, thus vacuum (negative suction pressure). If you have a leak somewhere, there will be less negative pressure in the intake.

Boosted motors are in the vacuum unless the turbo pushes more air than the motor can suck, but this won't happen at idle. You need to be WOT, or nearly.
Your completely right!!! Brain fart, my head is on many different subjects this evening.

Just finished mocking up cameras on my car for the next cruise. Throw me one of those Monsters everyone's drinking lol.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #52
Neanderthal

Quote:
Clean off both surfaces with a 3M pad, brake clean them with a paper towel, then use gasgacinch on every mating surface including the gasket.
Are you saying to use a sealer 0n the intake gasket fo the ports????
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 01-30-2010, 08:07 AM   #53
Boost Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
Are you saying to use a sealer 0n the intake gasket fo the ports????
nothing i have supports this needing to be done... may i get some addition feedback regarding the sealer???

and whats a 3m pad? its not just a "pad" it's gotta be something specific hahaha

Enkei, the wiring will be used for grounding. so i don't know about bolting it to the turbo manifold, but it'll be bolted to the block for sure!

where would be the cheapest (this is directed at enkei) place to pick up di-electric grease??

Best ET 14.668 see timeslip
Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
I'd race ya, but you'd eat me up dawg!!!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #54
Boost Junkie

fixed. no gasket on intake port #4

Mods to come: rims + rubber, intercooler, piping, Stage 3 equivelent turbo system with aftermarket turbo and all supporting systems. Goal HP: 400fwhp Goal ET: 11.90 on slicks.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #55

Awesome !!
Old 02-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #56
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknBoostn View Post
nothing i have supports this needing to be done... may i get some addition feedback regarding the sealer???

and whats a 3m pad? its not just a "pad" it's gotta be something specific hahaha

Enkei, the wiring will be used for grounding. so i don't know about bolting it to the turbo manifold, but it'll be bolted to the block for sure!

where would be the cheapest (this is directed at enkei) place to pick up di-electric grease??
Brutal, yes.

Boostn, the fact that you blew out a gasket already supports this needing to be done. Old school guys like Brutal who drive behind NA V8s and don't have to deal with boost like us don't understand. Their motors suck, ours blow. If you motor is always sucking you're not going to blow an intake gasket out, so you can put it on dry.

I did it when I replaced the intake on my friends turbo 4, per his recommendation. (He is a Mercedes tech) And it was the best thing until I discovered silicone when I kept blowing my intake gasket out after I put the blower on. You don't need to go crazy with silicone like I did because inline motor's intakes seal much better.

No you don't need it, yes it will seal better.

A 3m pad is a scotch brite pad, like the back of a dish sponge. Typical for cleaning off a deck surface, it will make your metal shiny and clean without wearing it down really.

I was joking about the wire on your turbo manifold, because you were asking about temp ratings of the wire from Home Depot.

Dialectric grease, Autozone or Kragen. It's a couple bucks, don't cry.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #57
Neanderthal

Quote:
Brutal, yes.

Boostn, the fact that you blew out a gasket already supports this needing to be done. Old school guys like Brutal who drive behind NA V8s and don't have to deal with boost like us don't understand. Their motors suck, ours blow. If you motor is always sucking you're not going to blow an intake gasket out, so you can put it on dry.

I did it when I replaced the intake on my friends turbo 4, per his recommendation. (He is a Mercedes tech) And it was the best thing until I discovered silicone when I kept blowing my intake gasket out after I put the blower on. You don't need to go crazy with silicone like I did because inline motor's intakes seal much better.

No you don't need it, yes it will seal better.

A 3m pad is a scotch brite pad, like the back of a dish sponge. Typical for cleaning off a deck surface, it will make your metal shiny and clean without wearing it down really.

I was joking about the wire on your turbo manifold, because you were asking about temp ratings of the wire from Home Depot.

Dialectric grease, Autozone or Kragen. It's a couple bucks, don't cry.
I have built engines with Root type blowers. I did not use sealer on the intake port. I have gone as high as 12 lbs (if I remember correctly) without sealer. Not saying you shouldn't just as a rule we didn't use sealer.
2016 Nissan Altma
Old 02-02-2010, 02:54 AM   #58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUTAL64 View Post
I have built engines with Root type blowers. I did not use sealer on the intake port. I have gone as high as 12 lbs (if I remember correctly) without sealer. Not saying you shouldn't just as a rule we didn't use sealer.
I'm sure as you sent those engines that you built on their merry way they drove away issue free. My engine ran for many trouble free miles. Took time to develop the leaks. And they're not very noticeable. I had at least one port leaking on DC dyno day. Never knew till I took off the intake manifold and saw it sagging into the lifter valley.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #59
Boost Junkie

well im going to be dissassembling the intake manifold to paint it along with my valvecover, ill pick up a brand new gasket and some high temp rtv sealant.

<guy in turbo eclipse>
Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #60

http://www.gasgacinch.com/

This stuff is sticky-tacky and will hold the gasket in place better than rtv.