Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 10-12-2011, 01:36 AM   #41
pain's fun, hit me again

not really finding too much, $800 for the cheapest miata needing a new trans, rear diff and doesnt run. Not too much in the way of foxes either, this could be fun to fuck with
http://slo.craigslist.org/cto/2544330419.html
Here is another candidate we could "fudge"
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2643801638.html
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!

Old 10-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #42
Fast & Filthy

That might work if we could talk him down on the price to more like $200-$250. We could probably pick up an intake, carb and distributor at the Hot Rod swap meet for around $100-$150.

I'll talk to Phil and have him give our buddies a call this week to see what they can do for us.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #43
pain's fun, hit me again

I say we stay efi, for the cost of converting to carb we can grab an exploder intake and have the same gains for around $75 maybe evn switch the heads, besides the efi cam runs kinda funky in a carb setup.
Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely — lay your life before him

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stopping the world!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #44

If someone here has access to a super cheap Fox we should just do that. It sounds like enough people are in favor of it, and it sounds like we have parts and experience with them, so let's make the decision. I can't find anything anywhere near our price range online anywhere, so if you have a magic hole of cheap foxes, I think that it would be worth getting. The sooner we get started, the more we ca get done, and the less hectic finding parts within out price range will be.

I would also suggest that we all read the rules. There have been several things posted that do not follow the rules so far. Plus there are a lot of items that count for safety that we are not thinking of. Another thing to consider is that even though wheels and tire do not count towards the total price, running 18-19" rims will still cost us a far amount to put tires on, and considering that we will probably want a few shakedown days to get things sorted, I would try to stay on the cheap with tires. And treadware is limited to 190, so any r-comp is out by a mile. I don't think anyone will argue that the best tire that is legal is the Dunlop Star Spec. I currently daily my car on them, and have used them as a track tire in the past, and they are great in the wet and dry, and hold up to abuse very well for a street tire. Posted TW is 200 for them.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #45
pain's fun, hit me again

I'll say the nt05 is better, cause i run them on my "race" car whilst on the street, treadwear is 190, and they are affordable, i got my 275/40/17's for 600 m&b otd they help my car pull a 1.1g so i know they hold. We'll probably stick with 17's since thats what stock s197 rims are and they have the propper offset for a 5 lug fox

Stopping the world!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #46
Fast & Filthy

If we end up with a fox we'll probably run a set of 17 inch wheels. Guy has the part already to convert it to 5 lug and both he and I have extra wheels. Well I think he does but I do for sure.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 AM   #47

A 235/45/17 star spec would be the right height, and as much grip as I would see us needing for something like this even. At ~$150 each they are not cheap, but not too bad either. However where I have little to no experience is wheel fitment with a Fox. They seem to have an odd lug pattern, 4x108? I am not sure what price or availability for a 17" mustang wheel would be, but we would need at least a 7.5" wide wheel, and ideally as close to 9-9.5" wide as possible to get the most out of that size tire.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #48
pain's fun, hit me again

I just have my rims for both cars, not sure i want to run them in a bumper car race as they are nice

A 235 is FAR too small for a 9" rims, thats safer on a 7" rim, if we get s197 bullits they are 17x8 and will fit a 255 idealy and a 275 if we push it

Stopping the world!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #49

^ while I agree that a 255 on a 9" rim will be faster, to get the most out of a specific tire size, you want it to be on a rim that is the same width as the tire. A 235mm tire is 9.2 inches wide. Having a wheel that is as wide as the tire keeps the sidewalls of the tire under more tension, and results in better turn-in, and steering response. As you get into higher power levels you generally go wider with the tire vs wheel size to help with compliance with corner exit when you get on the power. I will not argue that on the same wheel a 235 is faster than a 255, because it isn't. I was just looking at what the widest tires are before the price starts going up too high, and then stating what would be the best sized wheel for that tire. If we have access to cheap and sticky 255's, let's do that. But is we do a 255, the wheel size would ideally be close to 10" wide. It doesn't mean that an 8" wheel won't work well, it just means that there will be a little bit of grip left on the table. FWIW, the fastest people in Miata's who don't use a 275 hoosier run 225/45/15 NT01's on a 15x9 wheel. There is visually a little stretch, but that is where the best performance for that tire is. If there were a 245/40/15, they would use that, but many would also jump up to a 15x10.

Then again, this is not going to be a super serious track star. Plus the extra sidewall compliance will make the car a little easier to drive at the limit, as the car should break traction a little more slowly. Though on the down side, they will also roll over on themselves a little more, causing us to run either higher pressures, or risk wearing out the edges more quickly than we would like.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #50
Fast & Filthy

I run a 245/45/17 NT01 on my 17x8 inch Cobra wheels. They fit great but I think a 255/40/17 on the same rim would work better. I get a fair amount of roll on the front tires which wears into the sidewall. I think a little wider and less sidewall would help that.

I have two stock 17 GT wheels that I have my drag tires on that we can use. We would only need to pick up two more wheels instead of four.