Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 01-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #41
pain's fun, hit me again

Also have to factor in that WE as gear heads could perform this work, but 80% of the people that will buy this truck new off the lot dont have the space, time, tools and know how to swap an LS7 crate engine into a older silverado/f150, figure what a shop would charge for all the hours of work we have put into our vehicles, you say you can build the same truck for 40K and have 10k to play with, well thats the small percentage of us, but take into acount that not everyone has loads of room and CASH to do the work the labor would easily outweigh the cost of a brand new raptor, oh and BTW colley had one on the lot with a 30k sticker on it...

Oh and for just as easily you can build a d-max you can build a powerstroke with a stronger transmission, better suspension, and more power for less
Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #42
Super Moderator

Ug, too much to read.

Leedom, you make some good points. And maybe my argument wasn't as directed at your statement as it should have been. It just sets me off when Ford guys talk shit on GM and vice versa. And maybe that's not what you intended to do, but that's the impression I got.

Every car manufacturer makes something good. Even Honda makes the CBR. So to claim Mustangs are crap and Camaros are where it's at, etc. sets me off.

Ron, get real. You know what every single Ford dealer has done to every single truck ever sold? A dealer is capable of installing any aftermarket lift they choose to. The lifted F150 that I saw in SD, at a dealer, that cued me in that dealers could do such a thing, had red powder coated springs. So drop brackets alone? Not the one I saw.

I stand by what I said, which was I guess the only point Leedom was trying to make. Raptor is cool all around, but it is top of nothing. Maybe top of... the dual purpose truck category???
Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 AM   #43
Super Moderator

Hahahahaha, did anyone actually read that article?! They're not using the stock suspension! And part of the suspension broke anyways!!! So... what's so great about this? I can drive my Jeep through a pro race and break shit too.

“...but we’re running a stock car... with a spring and damper kit

"The shock mount broke due to the oversized struts that the Ford Raptor team are using, and Darren says the team has reinforced those now to cope with the extra load."
Old 01-12-2011, 03:33 AM   #44
Super Moderator

So it looks like we should allow Chuck to throw suspension money into his truck to keep up. Because... that's what Ford did in this race.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #45
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Don't get me wrong the truck stock is fucking badass. All I was saying is for me I would go a different way. I go off-road a lot.

2012 Sand Storm (Toy Hauler)
2008 Cadillac STS-V (The Car)
2008 2500 HD Silverado (The Work Truck)
2008 Honda TRX400 (Her Bike)
2006 Honda TRX450R (The Bike)
2005 Mazda 3 2.3L (Her Car)
2003 2500 HD Duramax (The Truck)

P.S. Fuck Apple.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #46
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

I am taking donations so we can settle this once and for all. Pm me hahaha!

P.S. Fuck Apple.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:00 AM   #47
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

I am maybe 19k into my truck now with truck purchase, tranny build, and programming.

P.S. Fuck Apple.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 AM   #48
pain's fun, hit me again

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
So it looks like we should allow Chuck to throw suspension money into his truck to keep up. Because... that's what Ford did in this race.
Did you read it? that was 2009, a year before the trucks release, when it was still in the test phase, and couldnt have been too bad a break cause they still came in 3rd
Old 01-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #49
Fast & Filthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkeivette View Post
Ron, get real. You know what every single Ford dealer has done to every single truck ever sold? A dealer is capable of installing any aftermarket lift they choose to. The lifted F150 that I saw in SD, at a dealer, that cued me in that dealers could do such a thing, had red powder coated springs. So drop brackets alone? Not the one I saw.
Have you forgotten that my brother has worked the service departments at Chevy dealers for the past 15 or so years? His guys were the ones installing the kits. You go ahead and find a dealer installed mid travel kit like Chuck posted that was $4,000. That was Poly's price. What do you think the dealer markup would be on it? Plus the fact that it's only for the front and requires cutting and welding to install. Then you have to do something for the rear. Dealers don't want to take that on. They use simple bolton kits that are quick to install and that they can mark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
I am maybe 19k into my truck now with truck purchase, tranny build, and programming.
How much was your truck new from a dealer? I'm sure you bought it used and not new if you only have 19k into it. But let's take your 19k into your truck and compare it to my Explorer. I have about 12k into it including the original purchase price. So let's have a series of tests. First we'll run the Silverwood trail up to Deep Creek and through John Bull. Phil and I did it a few weeks ago in the snow and it was a blast. It's a combination of trail runs and some rock crawling. Then we can do some prerunning out in Lucerne. We can set up a course that covers say 10-15 miles and we can see who completes it quicker.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:04 AM   #50
That's Mr. Bitch to you.

Your exploder would kill my truck in any kind of trail or anything other than towing. That's not what I was saying at all. Just a joke because Adam said he would do my suspension.

P.S. Fuck Apple.