Home
Don't have an account? Create one now! It's always free!

Forgot Password
Ed's Auto Parts - Mention MOTORGEN for a Discount!
Motorgen Sponsor: McLeod Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: American Muscle - Add style and performance to your Stang
Motorgen Sponsor: Hall Fabrication & Racing
Motorgen Sponsor: Injectors Plus - Performance Fuel Delivery Systems

Old 06-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #41
Resident Avatar Gambler

Send a message via AIM to SeanPlunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cobra69ss396 View Post
Then the same should be true for us as parents. We should be able to fine the schools for not providing proper physical activities. I'm sure that all of you had P.E. every day when you were in elementry school. Did you know that they now only have P.E. once a week? They require the kids to learn so much more now that they only have time to do P.E. once a week. I was stunned when I found that out from Kylie (3rd grade) this year.

I don't think the government should be able to tell me how to protect my child. I would never let either of my girls ride in a car without a seatbelt on but I don't think the goverment should be able to tell me they have to. They push some of these things a little too far. The kids helmet law is a perfect example. I think it's stupid that they can give a ticket to a parent because a kid doesn't wear a helmet while riding a bike. Did you know that they a required to until they are 18? One of my nephews came to visit us from NY when he was about 13-14 and he got pulled over by a sheriff for not having a helmet on. The officer made him walk the bike back to our house (about 2 miles away) and get a helmet.
I think obesity comes down to a variety of factors and the lack of P.E. at schools is only a small part of it. I think it basically boils down to the disgusting food most of us eat, and the lack of any physical activity. While P.E. would certainly help, I think ultimately eating habits are much more important.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #42
Resident Avatar Gambler

I don't understand the logic for most of you. Every single one of you says you would always make your kids wear seatbelts, but then in the same breath say you don't think it should be a law. What that tells me is that you're responsible parents. Assuming that every other parent is as responsible though is foolish. I believe laws like this should exist to protect kids with parents that may not be as smart as all you are.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 PM   #43
I, Vettezuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPlunk View Post
I don't understand the logic for most of you. Every single one of you says you would always make your kids wear seatbelts, but then in the same breath say you don't think it should be a law. What that tells me is that you're responsible parents. Assuming that every other parent is as responsible though is foolish. I believe laws like this should exist to protect kids with parents that may not be as smart as all you are.

Simply it is not the proper role of government to protect people from themselves or even children from the "potentially" harmful choices of their parents. Honestly, if you think government has that right (as distinguished from protecting children from actual abuse such as beating) THEN a seatbelt law is an impotent triviality. You SHOULD be advocating a vast array of interventions to insure responsible child raising. (Some are.)

It's perfectly decent for you, in addition to being responsible in the first place, to demand children in your care to comply with your rules, to strongly advocate to other parents that they should do the same, etc. But no, we really honestly do not need, nor should have, a system of law and police empowerment to enforce laws like this.

It's heart warming to hear a dose of "get the fu*k out of my life". Hopefully more Americans will get in touch with our independent and defiant roots and return to building a decent society without the use of armed enforcers for every detail of life.

Motorgen on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Motorgen Project Car
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(active)
Motorgen Project Car
(back burner)
Old 06-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #44

I always wear my seat belt, but I should be able to not wear it if I choose. I just don't see the need for an unknown amount of laws that we have. I would like to know exactly how many laws we do have n

Boost, because sometimes atmospheric pressure just isn't enough.

"If it has tit's or tires, you can be pretty sure your going to have problems with them..."
Old 06-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #45

Quote:
It is a matter of being free. I always wear a seat belt and the car does not move until everyone in it is wearing a seat belt, but that is my choice and I resent the government saying that is not my choice but the law and I will be punished if I don't follow it.

Bob

2003 Honda Accord EX
1973 Datsun 240Z

Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 AM   #46
Resident Avatar Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Simply it is not the proper role of government to protect people from themselves or even children from the "potentially" harmful choices of their parents. Honestly, if you think government has that right (as distinguished from protecting children from actual abuse such as beating) THEN a seatbelt law is an impotent triviality. You SHOULD be advocating a vast array of interventions to insure responsible child raising. (Some are.)

It's perfectly decent for you, in addition to being responsible in the first place, to demand children in your care to comply with your rules, to strongly advocate to other parents that they should do the same, etc. But no, we really honestly do not need, nor should have, a system of law and police empowerment to enforce laws like this.

It's heart warming to hear a dose of "get the fu*k out of my life". Hopefully more Americans will get in touch with our independent and defiant roots and return to building a decent society without the use of armed enforcers for every detail of life.
Obviously I disagree with you on the role of government and laws. I do not think it's an abuse of power to force me as a parent to make my child where a seatbelt. I understand your slippery slope argument, and I do agree that some laws go to far, but I'm pretty comfortable with the level of government intervention we currently have overall. Besides paying taxes, I can't think of a way the government negatively impacts my life. I would say my biggest gripe about the government by far is its spending, but lack of freedom is not something I'm concerned about.

Can you please list some examples of how the government is screwing you out of your freedom on a daily basis?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #47
Super Moderator

Quote:
Pardon, I would actually remove the law for people over 18. I would only make it a law for children.
Sounds like Ben won this one, Sean is still fighting for the tangent though. And I agree with him on the tangent.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Can you please list some examples of how the government is screwing you out of your freedom on a daily basis?
My right to paint vehicles outside. My right to use the best automotive paints (which are now legal in every state except CA). My right to run my 650hp mill without catalytic converters. My right to drive as fast as I want pending the conditions are safe. My right to have sex with my girlfriend in public. My right to walk around naked. My right to drink outside on the beach with friends at a bon fire. My right to tell cops to go fuck themselves without being harassed and fined for bullshit. My right to go offroading in undeveloped areas. My right to pee on a tree outside. And now pending: my right to carry firearms, one of the most basic constitutional rights.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:03 PM   #49
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, my right to talk on a cell phone while the fat guy in traffic next to me is eating a chesseburger, and the whore next to him is putting on her eyeliner, and Ron next to her is watching a DVD in his Cobra.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #50
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettezuki View Post
Simply it is not the proper role of government to protect people from themselves or even children from the "potentially" harmful choices of their parents.
I disagree with this completely. We absolutely should have laws in place to protect children from their indigent parents. What about a Dad who drops his daughter off in Tijuana for the night to teach her a lesson? And she then gets raped. Really, the Dad didn't do anything actively harmful to her, the Mexican rapist did. You're suggesting there should be no legal recourse against his recklessness?